Home

What do people think about the pitching and hitting interface/controls?

This is a discussion on What do people think about the pitching and hitting interface/controls? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 23
What do people think about the pitching and hitting interface/controls?

This is one area where 2k9 could have a serious advantage. There has been all this talk about presentation, but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with how these two things have been incorporated. This was a concern of mine leading up to the demo, but I'm seeing realistic hits and the ball being hit where it should.. It brings back memories of older 2k games and mvp even. Pitching on the other side of the spectrum is also really fun and I'm seeing pitches go where i direct them. If I dont release the stick at the appropriate time, I will miss spots. Things are happening as I'd expect them to from a control standpoint.

I'm not sure what the final product will be like and the cpu AI could use some work in spots. But with the final release, varying difficulties, and being able to use 2k8's controls as well as cursor batting this is going to give 2k9 pretty deep controls. This along with the presentation factor should lead to a pretty nice game.

Last edited by kGinGreen; 02-24-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 28
Re: What do people think about the pitching and hitting interface/controls?

I am not a fan of either interface...

Swing Stick -- I have no clue what the point is? You pull back and push forward. This doesn't, in my opinion, add a new dimension to the game. If you were to pull back and push forward as if you are hitting, the hitter swings too late. I found better success in holding the stick back before the pitcher even starts his windup. Basically, I just pushed forward the whole time...

Pitching -- I will say it is better than last year's game because there is no fear of tossing a meatball. However, I have no idea what that big ball is or what it does. It just gets in the way and ruins the immersion....
Old 02-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Both of them seem to be well done. Love the L stick when hitting, as the ball seems to realistically go where you aim.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
Banned

RedSoxFox7's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm a really big fan of the "new" control schemes, though I'm apparently in the minority that liked the 2K8 scheme too (with a couple of exceptions).

I've seen a lot of people whining about the 2K8 pitching, but I never had a problem with it. The only real problem was the meatball pitch, and it's nice that's been replaced with more realistic mistake pitches for each type of pitch. But as far as the actual controls, I didn't really think they needed to change it, but I guess it can't hurt that the new scheme is a little less sensitive and a little easier.

Hitting is kind of in the same boat. Adding left stick aiming is HUGE, but I didn't really have a problem with the swing mechanics in the first place. Not having to time pre-swing makes things a little easier, but being able to just sit loaded even before a pitcher starts his delivery does hurt the realism a bit.

All in all, I'm loving the way the demo plays. I though 2K9 was going to be a steaming pile, and that I'd have to start hunting for used PS3s on craigslist, but I must say I'm VERY pleasantly surprised with the demo.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
Pro

Lordcledus's Arena

OVR: 10

Hit stick is great and give the game sort of a new feel to it. Kind of like you have more control over your batter. As far as analog pitching goes, I think it's awful. Granted it is a good concept and 2k pulled it off pretty well, but I can't see myself using it at all.

XBL: Lordcledus

Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »