Home

Well, after 6 months, I finally quit. . .

This is a discussion on Well, after 6 months, I finally quit. . . within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Well, after 6 months, I finally quit. . .

I was the first person to truly discover how great the cursor hitting system was in this game, and I still agree with that assessment, however, after 6 months of tinkering and tweaking, I finally give up. The GLARING issues this game has simply cannot be fixed with any slider adjustments and it's completely ruined my enjoyment of the game.

Some of the major issues I simply cannot fix:

- On directional hitting, the user almost never strikes out. It's too easy to make contact, even if it's not solid contact, there's always some type of contact.

On cursor hitting:
- Power is non-existent. I'm playing with the Yankees. I have the power and contact jacked up to 100. I'm leading the league in strikeouts and I've hit about 15 homeruns in 30 games. Completly unrealistic. And it's not like I can make user batting success higher or cpu pitching easier because my batting averages are spot on. If I make hitting easier or cpu pitching easier, the averages will sky-rocket.
- CPU fielding - hey, there's nothing unrealistic about 2 amazing diving catches . . . per inning, right?
- How many fly balls can we completely misplay in the outfield because the cpu decided to go into an animation and not finish the animation quick enough to actually get the glove up and catch the ball?
- Stealing - what's stealing? Yeah, exactly, also non-existent because it's next to impossible . . . even against someone like Tim Wakefield!!!
- CPU aggressiveness - LOL! I remember when I first saw the trailers for this game, I was the first person to say, "does it seem like the CPU is swinging at everything in the strike zone" and everything told me to wait for the game to come out and that it would be tweaked and that EA was just showing us action shots in the trailers. And now, when all is said and done, who was right? 60 pitch complete games . . . NO!
- Relievers being crappy - I don't care what anyone says, Mariano Rivera should not have an ERA of 6.00 with 6 blown saves in 8 opportunities, especially considering my starting pitchers have a combined ERA of about 4.00 (a realistic number).

Honestly, I can go on and on and I would under most circumstances as I feel like I've wasted the last 6 months of my free time on this game when I could've been playing NBA 2K9 or something. I'm just very disappointed and hope they can fix these glaring issues in next year's iteration.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2009, 04:25 AM   #2
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Well, after 6 months, I finally quit. . .

You actually like batting with a huge bright yellow bat in your way?

2k9 sucks, I'm glad I didn't get it.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
I was the first person to truly discover how great the cursor hitting system was in this game... I feel like I've wasted the last 6 months of my free time on this game when I could've been playing NBA 2K9 or something.
Too bad you weren't the first person to truly discover not to bother wasting 6 months of your free time.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
I remember when I first saw the trailers for this game, I was the first person to say, "does it seem like the CPU is swinging at everything in the strike zone"
First in that as well, huh? We all know how mediocre the game was. It's not like it was some well-kept secret, lol.

Last edited by baa7; 09-10-2009 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

funny...after sitting this game down for nearly a month, i'm going to try and give it one more shot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
All Star

cubsfan203's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
I was the first person to truly discover how great the cursor hitting system was in this game, and I still agree with that assessment, however, after 6 months of tinkering and tweaking, I finally give up. The GLARING issues this game has simply cannot be fixed with any slider adjustments and it's completely ruined my enjoyment of the game.

Some of the major issues I simply cannot fix:

- On directional hitting, the user almost never strikes out. It's too easy to make contact, even if it's not solid contact, there's always some type of contact. Lowering it also results in a few more foul balls.

You can fix this somewhat by lowering Batting Success quite a bit. I've lowered it to like 20, and I'm missing a lot more pitches, or making bad contact.

On cursor hitting:
- Power is non-existent. I'm playing with the Yankees. I have the power and contact jacked up to 100. I'm leading the league in strikeouts and I've hit about 15 homeruns in 30 games. Completly unrealistic. And it's not like I can make user batting success higher or cpu pitching easier because my batting averages are spot on. If I make hitting easier or cpu pitching easier, the averages will sky-rocket.

This must be based on the player then, because I'm using your sliders and I've actually had to lower the power down to 70 because I was hitting so many more home runs than everyone else.

- CPU fielding - hey, there's nothing unrealistic about 2 amazing diving catches . . . per inning, right?
- How many fly balls can we completely misplay in the outfield because the cpu decided to go into an animation and not finish the animation quick enough to actually get the glove up and catch the ball?
- Stealing - what's stealing? Yeah, exactly, also non-existent because it's next to impossible . . . even against someone like Tim Wakefield!!!

I agree with this. I think I'm like 14-32 on stolen base attempts, and I'm only trying to steal with players that have like 85 speed ratings.

- CPU aggressiveness - LOL! I remember when I first saw the trailers for this game, I was the first person to say, "does it seem like the CPU is swinging at everything in the strike zone" and everything told me to wait for the game to come out and that it would be tweaked and that EA was just showing us action shots in the trailers. And now, when all is said and done, who was right? 60 pitch complete games . . . NO!
- Relievers being crappy - I don't care what anyone says, Mariano Rivera should not have an ERA of 6.00 with 6 blown saves in 8 opportunities, especially considering my starting pitchers have a combined ERA of about 4.00 (a realistic number).

Honestly, I can go on and on and I would under most circumstances as I feel like I've wasted the last 6 months of my free time on this game when I could've been playing NBA 2K9 or something. I'm just very disappointed and hope they can fix these glaring issues in next year's iteration.
A few comments in BOLD.

Coaching Career of Chris Matthews (CH2k8)
The Legend of Ocho Ocho
Old 09-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 19

disagree with your post.
Love the Swing stick. Game has flaws but IMO is still enjoyable.
Once I lowered the Pitcher Composer to 0 for both user and the AI controlled teams. all the issues that plagued this game magically disappeared.

Ive said this before and Ill say it again, Pitcher Composure affects the entire team not just the pitcher.

the game is now solid..
Old 09-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
First in that as well, huh? We all know how mediocre the game was. It's not like it was some well-kept secret, lol.
Yes, when the first or second trailer hit, I made a topic saying that it looked like the CPU was swinging at everything near the zone and everyone shot me down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan203
A few comments in BOLD.
As for your comments:
- For user power, what pitch speed are you using? What are your CPU pitching sliders like? Please let me know, I still do like the game, but these issues are bugging me. Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »