Home

Swing stick control scheme revised (video)

This is a discussion on Swing stick control scheme revised (video) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Swing stick control scheme revised (video)

(this ended up being a two-part video because it was too long... lol me and my rambling)

Hey guys, I was saying that I wanted to explain a different way that they should do the control scheme with the right analog stick for swinging in general, assuming they are going to stick to using it. Well, instead of typing it out and trying to get you to imagine what it would look like with the stick, I decided to record it instead.

Basically what I do is run down how the control scheme is now, what are the issues with it, why they are issues relative to the sport of baseball, and how it can be changed around and improved upon. It also includes a check-swing system that I think and hope you would like (one that I kind of described in the other threads), and I think it makes much more sense as a person who has played and watched the sport for most of my young life.

This was a one-time video that I didn't write out or rehearse, so no comments on making fun of me if I'm at a loss for words haha. This is for you guys, but most importantly this is something that 2K should look into. Ronnie said that he would bring up the check swing thing to 2K when that insight comes up... hopefully he can look at this and give them input on exactly how that check swing could fit with their model... and why the defensive swing is totally flawed.

Here are the videos, they may still be processing so they might not work yet.

As for my own excuses, the walls in my dorm are thin and I don't want people next to me to hear me spewing random stuff about video games while I'm recording, so I stayed pretty conserved overall, emotionally and what not.

Sorry for the 11 minute long rambling of mine. It's probably better than reading a bunch of text. Comments, as well as alternate suggestions, are appreciated and encouraged.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 01-23-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Re: Swing stick control scheme revised (video)

Okay, Part 1 is up and Part 2 is coming up shortly. When up they may still be processing though.

In Part 1, I talk a little bit about influence hitting with the left stick. I don't really get deep with it and I think it got a bit confusing when I was talking about it, but here I made a post last year that better explains how influence should actually work:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2039077509

As for pull versus push, it's all about where the pitch is and how you time it. If you try and put a pull swing on a pitch very late, you have a chance of breaking your bat (same with trying to go oppo on an inside pitch. If you try and pull an outside pitch, you're going to hit a 17-hopper to the short stop. That's just the way this game works, and if replicated correctly, influence should definitely be last-resort or situation-based. Granting great contact should be mostly in the timing, and if zone hitting is incorporated, in the placement of the bat on the ball.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Speak up Tiger ... I kid I kid.

I agree with your assessment as to why it is flawed. If you can not get HRs on contact swings, then the game's hitting borderlines on arcade side of things, and with no checks swings, even more so.

Especially with your assessment of contact guys versus power guys.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Speak up Tiger ... I kid I kid.
Haha just turn up the volume, Tiger is trying to remain in hiding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I agree with your assessment as to why it is flawed. If you can not get HRs on contact swings, then the game's hitting borderlines on arcade side of things, and with no checks swings, even more so.

Especially with your assessment of contact guys versus power guys.
Well, keep in mind that Chase said with perfect contact the ball will be able to go out on a contact swing, but I'm guessing he means that the bigger guys are more prone to doing that. That's almost besides the point though, because contact with power guys is nearly irrelevant... people will always want to swing power with your Josh Hamilton's and Adam Dunn's. They won't ever want to go contact, so that could probably lead to a bunch of unwarranted home runs. I just say one swing type, and let the ratings determine what happens.

Part two is up, but still heavily processing. Once both videos have an HD icon, then that will mean they'll be completely done.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

We got the next Apex here! Keep chasin that truth blzer

Seriously though, I do agree with pretty much everything you said.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 11

I agree with you.. and I think the flaws you pointed out really hurt the gameplay.. Wow, your method is nice. I bet SCEA'll wanna use it when / if they choose to implement a swing stick, hah. It's on point, man. It would feel natural.

Last edited by 500Feet; 01-23-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #7
True Ace

Galvatron's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Haha just turn up the volume, Tiger is trying to remain in hiding.

Well, keep in mind that Chase said with perfect contact the ball will be able to go out on a contact swing, but I'm guessing he means that the bigger guys are more prone to doing that. That's almost besides the point though, because contact with power guys is nearly irrelevant... people will always want to swing power with your Josh Hamilton's and Adam Dunn's. They won't ever want to go contact, so that could probably lead to a bunch of unwarranted home runs. I just say one swing type, and let the ratings determine what happens.

Part two is up, but still heavily processing. Once both videos have an HD icon, then that will mean they'll be completely done.
I agree somewhat, but perhaps 2k wanted to apply the style of having 2 distinct swings ala the Show, only with the analog stick instead of buttons. It may result in the same or similar variables if it's implemented correctly, but i think that's where 2k has their work cut out for them...getting player ratings to directly affect what inputs are made by the user. If people will try to jack HRs repeatedly with power guys there has to be consequences of some sort as a result...such as in the Show.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kursekain
I agree somewhat, but perhaps 2k wanted to apply the style of having 2 distinct swings ala the Show, only with the analog stick instead of buttons. It may result in the same or similar variables if it's implemented correctly, but i think that's where 2k has their work cut out for them...getting player ratings to directly affect what inputs are made by the user. If people will try to jack HRs repeatedly with power guys there has to be consequences of some sort as a result...such as in the Show.
I would agree with you, but going by what Chase said, swinging for power with a contact guy will actually be almost incorrect to do, like they aren't designed to swing for power so you shouldn't do so with them. It's like putting a QB in on defense in a video game... just because they have a tackle rating and this is a possible in-game scenario, doesn't make anything better in the end.

I'm not sure if he said the same thing for contact with power guys, but what my point was that in The Show I'm able to change my sliders around so that I can make the contact swing my only kind of swing (add more power, decrease contact a bit). For this game, I can't just increase contact and lower power, because supposedly a power swing will be detrimental for contact players.

This is the issue, where you can change it around to work for you. Combine the lack of a check swing and the most ludicrous defensive swing system I've ever heard of, and you have a flawed control scheme for a baseball game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »