Home

2014 Atlanta Braves

This is a discussion on 2014 Atlanta Braves within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #489
All Star

OVR: 8
Re: 2014 Atlanta Braves

I really don't have a problem with the Heyward trade. I thought it would have happened closer to the trade deadline, but what is there not to like? We get a good young pitcher with a lot of upside (assuming his sophomore slump was just that) who we can control for the next 4 years. We lose a guy who was great in the field, but over the course of 5 major league seasons has shown to be a liability for long stretches at a time at the plate. On top of all of that we were not going to re-sign for the money he would have wanted anyway. The only down side to this trade is we did not get a bat in return.

I'm hoping we see a couple more trades before all is said and done. Trade J Upton before the deadline to get what you can out of him because he too is gone at the end of the year, and maybe the front office can work some magic to get BJ off the books at least partially. It's going to be a painful 2015, but I would rather deal with a couple years of rebuilding than sit through being just good enough every single year.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #490
Goon Squad

ProStylez's Arena

OVR: 15

As a Braves fan I'm not happy with this trade.
We lose a player who is basically a lead off hitter at most times and a gold glove in the OF, I think that glove will be missed even more so than the bat. We now have what....B.J at lead off? We already traded away Lastella to the Chubs.....or do we keep Emilio and he's at lead off now?
Gattis in left. I don't like that either. What's he going to track down? We definitely have a downgraded OF going into next season that I'm not thrilled to watch.
St.Louis obviously sees something in Heyward we are not seeing or putting stock in, they lost Taveras who was supposed to be the next big thing and who is Version 2 to him......J-Hey! He fits their style of baseball, he is a baseball player. Great glove, speed and a bat. He will fit right in and do big things there in that system while we sit around watching him in the playoffs. Great. Atlanta sports woes continue!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #491
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/nhe9as

*sigh*
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #492
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

Probably wishful thinking, but what are the odds he spends a year in St. Louis and returns home in free agency?

Sounds like he didn't want to leave.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/bas...#__federated=1

Quote:
(I)n 2012 when we had the discussion – and I mean brief, it was a 10-minute conversation between my representatives and the Braves – we let them know that I wanted to be here a long time. And the conversation was basically shut down then. And never revisited.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #493
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
Probably wishful thinking, but what are the odds he spends a year in St. Louis and returns home in free agency?

Sounds like he didn't want to leave.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/bas...#__federated=1
I'm sure he didn't want to leave…I would love to see him come back in 2016, but it's hard to imagine a scenario where that is possible. Rumors are he was wanting $20M/year and there is no way the Braves would pay that.

I hate the trade, I've made that known. It does, however, make sense from a Heyward sense in that we weren't going to be able to re-sign him. My larger issue is what we got back for him. I have never been high on Miller and I'm afraid the Braves fell in love with the prospect watching him in the AFL, but he's been subpar for 5 minor league seasons.

Very odd to be a Braves fan right now…haven't been in 're-build' mode since the late 1980's.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #494
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

It would awesome if he came back as a FA, not counting on it though. Maybe he'll win a championship with Wainwright :-P

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 11-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #495
Goon Squad

ProStylez's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Ugh dammitt. I'm really not liking this whole "Let's wait till 2017" idea.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #496
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Well no, SF. We were definitely in a worse "rebuild" mode from 2006 until making the playoffs in 2010.

I think the 2017 idea is stupid and doesn't make much sense. It's like we went through the entire progression of an "era" without seeing anything. We accumulated all this young talent, we got to a LDS in 2010, should have won but Conrad screwed us, Lincecum dominated us, and a second base umpire was a ****head. We had a historic September collapse in 2011. In 2012, we lost in a stupid ****ing wild card game gimmick. In 2013 we won the division and then lost because our horrendous team structure failed us. In 2014 we collapsed again.

It's like we kept building, building, building towards something and we never got there for us to enjoy a plateau with a window and THEN tear it down. But no, we've got all the organizational dysfunction, trading of a team superstar, ****ty extensions to sink us, and other such things rendering us a clown show.

It's a weird, weird, weird feeling to be honest.

Last edited by TheMatrix31; 11-17-2014 at 10:40 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »