Home

2014 Atlanta Braves

This is a discussion on 2014 Atlanta Braves within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #585
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: 2014 Atlanta Braves

It also depends on what they do with the money. If they stand pat, then it looks worse.

I think it also shows that, despite what Fredi said, they weren't comfortable with Gattis catching anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2014, 03:21 AM   #586
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

And I wasn't comfortable with him either. We lost a lot of games due to how atrocious he was behind the plate. I just hate putting a black hole offensively in his place. Really wish we could have gotten one of these catchers flying around.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:34 AM   #587
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

OVR: 21

I'm not enthused with the winter we've had so far. I understand the deals that we made regarding Heyward/Upton, but I'm not happy at all with the returns. And if Gattis starts off the year next year in left field, I think John Hart's botched the offseason.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #588
MVP

Tomahawk's Arena

OVR: 13

I just keep hoping that I wake up one morning and the Braves have dealt Freeman and Kimbrel to the Red Sox so I can leave the ridiculous in Atlanta behind.

Sign Markakis, but deal Justin Upton and Jason Heyward makes little sense. If you are dealing those two then obviously you are not playing for this year and would be better off plugging a prospect or project in the outfield than giving Markakis $44 million.

It makes no sense either to keep an elite level closer like Kimbrel when you are looking at 90+ games the next two years.

The team for the better part of 15 years has pulled back the reins whenever it the team has gotten close to being a serious contender by letting top players walk or trading them for nothing.

Any idea what the modern record is for most times shutout during a season because the Braves might threaten it this season.
  • LETS GO BRUINS!!!
Old 12-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #589
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
Evidently? I can't imagine they'd turn down better deals. I just don't think the Mariners are going to be more willing to part with their top guys for three months of Upton than they would for a full season. I also wouldn't call Justin a premiere bat; he hit .270 last year, has gotten over 30 hr once and 100 rbi once. Maybe that's part of the reason I'm okay with this; I never expected a top prospect from him.

It also depends on what we do with the savings. We just took $14 million off the books. I can't imagine we're done at this point. That would be a reason you HAVE to trade Upton now; they're another move out there you wanna make and needed money for.
Justin isn't the kind of guy you can build a lineup around due to the lack of consistency, and I'm sure the Braves took the best offer they had come their way at this point. It seems like they could have benefited from waiting a bit. If Fried was not losing 2 years of development this would be an easier pill to swallow, but I almost would rather take the draft pick compensation for Justin at the end of the year than what looks like a potential #2/3 starter who still has to come back from TJ surgery, and a handful of maybes.

True that freeing up the cash is nice, but wasn't the team already under payroll this year? What big moves could be left that would require this much extra cash? Maybe we'll give a big contract to one of the remaining 30 year old pitchers... The only other way the cash becomes useful is if they package the players they just got from the padres to get a big player from another team who will require some money (I don't know that many other teams would be willing give up something for the same haul we just got nor do we have many additional pieces we can give up).

Last edited by KSUowls; 12-20-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #590
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
And I wasn't comfortable with him either. We lost a lot of games due to how atrocious he was behind the plate. I just hate putting a black hole offensively in his place. Really wish we could have gotten one of these catchers flying around.
I feel like Bethancourt is destined to be a backup, but a lot of people seemingly disagree. A lot of times catchers are late bloomers offensively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico
I'm not enthused with the winter we've had so far. I understand the deals that we made regarding Heyward/Upton, but I'm not happy at all with the returns. And if Gattis starts off the year next year in left field, I think John Hart's botched the offseason.
What did you want them to do with him? I feel like getting him to LF should've been a goal of the offseason. He's been bad in the past, but now he'll have an off-season and spring training to learn the position, as opposed to just being thrown out there. And it's probably the least important defense position on the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Justin isn't the kind of guy you can build a lineup around due to the lack of consistency, and I'm sure the Braves took the best offer they had come their way at this point. It seems like they could have benefited from waiting a bit. If Fried was not losing 2 years of development this would be an easier pill to swallow, but I almost would rather take the draft pick compensation for Justin at the end of the year than what looks like a potential #2/3 starter who still has to come back from TJ surgery, and a handful of maybes.

True that freeing up the cash is nice, but wasn't the team already under payroll this year? What big moves could be left that would require this much extra cash? Maybe we'll give a big contract to one of the remaining 30 year old pitchers... The only other way the cash becomes useful is if they package the players they just got from the padres to get a big player from another team who will require some money (I don't know that many other teams would be willing give up something for the same haul we just got nor do we have many additional pieces we can give up).
As far as I know, they were right up against the payroll limit. It's hard to know for sure because of arbitration cases, but they had no significant money.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #591
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
I feel like Bethancourt is destined to be a backup, but a lot of people seemingly disagree. A lot of times catchers are late bloomers offensively.
It may never happen, but I hold out hope that Betancourt can develop like Yadi Molina. Yadi was just as helpless with the bat when he came up, but developed into a HOF caliber catcher. Bethancourt has the defensive ability to be as good as Yadi, but he's shown so far that he's lazy with his technique. Maybe he doesn't develop, but I'd like to see him at least get the chance since honestly we don't' have any other good options in the system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #592
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

OVR: 21

Moving Gattis to LF would be the absolute worst way to handle him. The ONLY correct way to handle Gattis at this point is to trade him. Moving Gattis to left field will essentially break down the value that he has accumulated in the past 2 years. Trading him now would be the smartest thing to do because of the value that you could get out of a catcher who's controller for 4 more years and is a premium bat. Take away his position and you're just left with a LF, who can't field very well, but can hit HR's..... These kind of players are a dime a dozen in the league.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »