Home

theShowRater project

This is a discussion on theShowRater project within the MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
theShowRater project

This post is a place holder for communicating the latest information...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Re: theShowRater project

Now that I have some motivations to do this, I have been working (albeit slowly) on a web-based tool for facilitating editing for historical players using Lahman database.

The test site can be accessed here:

http://theshowrater-nomo17k.dotcloud.com/

You basically select a year and a team, and it lists player attribute ratings for that team. You'll get an error message if you select a team with incomplete information on the Lahman database, but it's a feature, not a bug, and those kinks need to be ironed out as I go along.

It's still at an early stage of development, but I want to eventually make this useful also for roster editors here at OS, so I wish to make it available at this point to communicate my thoughts and receive feedback on basically anything in this dedicated thread.

As you notice, things are still rough and there are quite a number of things that I have not decided how to take care of. For example, when you see "-1" that means it's unrated due either to "no information on database" or I just haven't come up with an idea for rating from the stats available within the Lahman database.

So I warn you that the ratings that this version produces are still kinda bogus, so please try not use this in your classic roster project yet. (or at the very least please don't blame me for poor ratings.)

The current rating method is largely based on what I've done in the past:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ame-stats.html

but this is still incomplete work so there are still a number of things that I need to think about, and in order to make progress I wish to receive feedback from roster makers. So please do chime if you think you could eventually make use of this tool.

Thank you very much for your attention, and I hope one of these days I can start playing with classic rosters from 80s and 90s seasons (my sweetest spots)!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

By the way, if you get an error message for a particular team, you might wish to tell me (perhaps PM is better in order not to clutter the thread, since I expect there are still so many cases like this) which year and team you tried to access, since that will help me find which data is tripping up.

For example, I've seen Kevin Youkilis missing from 2010 Boston team... that appears to be an data entry error in the Lahman database so it may be a good idea to notify the people at Lahman database.

In any case, please do feel free to let me know of any issues and concerns.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Nice work Nomo. Does Lahman's database also include park factors or anything of that nature?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Nice work Nomo. Does Lahman's database also include park factors or anything of that nature?
I don't think it has them ready to serve, but I believe most of the information necessary to compute the park factors for each year is in the database. Right, so if we need we can eventually tie Power ratings to consider that sort of external factors as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2
Love this work nomo. Just wondering but when will the 2012 ratings be inputted? Thanks

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman13
Love this work nomo. Just wondering but when will the 2012 ratings be inputted? Thanks
At the moment the tool is working only with the Lahman database, so new info will be added probably around February... If you are looking for something to work with for 2012 season, I think this isn't ready yet...

My current priority is to get this fully usable for classic players though. For rating recent players, we'd better work off of more detailed stats database (Fangraphs, Pitch f/x, etc.), because the Lahman database lacks certain key stats to do this rating generation fully... Like we don't have lefty/righty splits, etc. But still better than nothing for old-time players though... for them we don't have pitch f/x data anyways.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
At the moment the tool is working only with the Lahman database, so new info will be added probably around February... If you are looking for something to work with for 2012 season, I think this isn't ready yet...

My current priority is to get this fully usable for classic players though. For rating recent players, we'd better work off of more detailed stats database (Fangraphs, Pitch f/x, etc.), because the Lahman database lacks certain key stats to do this rating generation fully... Like we don't have lefty/righty splits, etc. But still better than nothing for old-time players though... for them we don't have pitch f/x data anyways.

This is great work, definately keep up the good work with this nomo!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters »