Home

Player Retirements (Franchise Mode)

This is a discussion on Player Retirements (Franchise Mode) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 3
Player Retirements (Franchise Mode)

Midway through my first season I signed 19 year old Cuban outfield prospect Jorge Soler to a 3 year contract, after the first year of my franchise he retired because of "Poor free agent market." Is this some kind of joke?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
Meow

DetroitStyle's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Player Retirements (Franchise Mode)

No, it's not. The retirement system has been less than desirable for years (since '08 I believe). This is just an unfortunate product of that system. Although it seems like an extreme abberation because 1) players under contract aren't supposed to retire (i think) and 2) players that are signed certainly shouldn't be retiring because of a poor FA market. Seems like a bug to mean, but more of an exception rather than the rule to retirements.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
Pro

IK720's Arena

OVR: 7

He did the same thing to me. I also traded my #1 prospect (CF'er) because I signed him.. and therefore i'm stuck with Jordan Schafer still in year 3. I think a lot of it has to do with using created rosters and the game trying to even things out but that is just a hunch.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

When did you sign Soler? In past year's games I have signed free agents midseason, and they retired at the end of the year saying the same thing. I always heard that the game decides who is retiring after the draft in your season because there is only a certain amount of players that can exist in the game.

So, if you signed a free agent in August, the game probably already decided in June that he would retire due to a poor free agent market in order to create a slot for a player entering the league the following season due to the draft.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkVI
When did you sign Soler? In past year's games I have signed free agents midseason, and they retired at the end of the year saying the same thing. I always heard that the game decides who is retiring after the draft in your season because there is only a certain amount of players that can exist in the game.

So, if you signed a free agent in August, the game probably already decided in June that he would retire due to a poor free agent market in order to create a slot for a player entering the league the following season due to the draft.
To the best of my knowledge, this ^^^^ is exactly what happens and the reasons it happens for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 3

I think you're exactly right, I signed him in August I think
Old 05-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Pro

IK720's Arena

OVR: 7

You know what this game needs.. "un-retirements". Seriously how many great or at least very good athletes do this? Michael Jordan, Brett Favre (30 times at least and I'm not ruling him out yet), George Foreman, Andy Pettite most recently.. the list goes on. Wow did I just list Andy Pettite on that list of guys.. yea I guess I did.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyStroke3
I think you're exactly right, I signed him in August I think
Yes, this is right. The draft is essentially a "point of no return" for retirements. They get locked in.

If it's like last year, it works the same for injuries too. Meaning that if you have a guy on the DL for a serious injury/long absence, there's a risk of him retiring due to injury (happened to me last year with Jason Castro and Joe Nathan...someone else too that I can't remember).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »