Home

Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 17 Version]

This is a discussion on Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 17 Version] within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #305
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 17 Version]

hey Nomo just curious about reliever stamina at 7. wont that let teams keep relievers in for 3 plus innings because of the extra stamina? answer me this and i am going to finally start my franchise. thank you good sir!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #306
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jripper09
hey Nomo just curious about reliever stamina at 7. wont that let teams keep relievers in for 3 plus innings because of the extra stamina? answer me this and i am going to finally start my franchise. thank you good sir!
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what the best thing to do with Reliever Stamina.

My reasoning for increasing that slider is to help long/middle relievers go more innings *when necessary* and with the new CPU bullpen logic, that appears to happen often when starting pitchers are pulled early.

What often happens I think is that some of those long/middle relievers are naturally not good (in terms of core pitching attributes), but CPU manager wants to keep them in to eat a few innings regardless of their performance/energy on that day, and that in turn contribute some blowouts where mop-up guys get shelled... in real-life that would be kind of games where managers start thinking of using position players to pitch to save bullpen workload but that doesn't happen in the game.

I don't think the bullpen logic is primarily energy-driven (it should be more situation-driven, if it were to align better with how real-life manager manages bullpen), so I am hoping (and I don't think it's clearly affecting bullpen management... "Np" in the spreadsheet is the number of pitchers used in each game)

I think the most reasonable thing to do is to use Reliever Stamina value to adjust the overall usage throughout the season (e.g., number of games/innings pitched by relievers)... because I think the time it takes for relievers to recover from depleted energy would contribute more to their usage/performance than how long they can pitch when they actually enter the game.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #307
Pro

OVR: 7

Hey Nomo, has the beta set changed with the release of new patches since you first released a beta set?
Old 06-21-2017, 01:40 AM   #308
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by statdude
Hey Nomo, has the beta set changed with the release of new patches since you first released a beta set?
Sorry for not responding sooner... I do think the recommended set needs updating especially after the patch v1.08, but I am betting that there won't be any more (significant) patch, and given the activity level of the thread has gone done, I was gonna just update on the timing of final release...

It's most likely going to be very close to the currently tested set (6/17), so if I were to update the OP with a recommended set right now, it would be pretty close to it.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #309
Rookie

Hey NOMO i really want to use these sliders but my results haven't been close to what you get with the spreadsheet. I've played 6 or 7 games but my games are getting way too much offense. A ton of doubles. I strictly play manager mode and not cpu vs cpu. Does that make a difference? Thanks in advance.

Mkvitz
Old 06-22-2017, 04:58 AM   #310
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkvitz89
Hey NOMO i really want to use these sliders but my results haven't been close to what you get with the spreadsheet. I've played 6 or 7 games but my games are getting way too much offense. A ton of doubles. I strictly play manager mode and not cpu vs cpu. Does that make a difference? Thanks in advance.

Mkvitz
First of all, usual disclaimer is that 6 - 7 games is way too small a sample to draw conclusions on... Of course I'm not going to suggest that anyone shuts up till they get in this many games, but even on my tests I typically need about 30 games before I see stats stabilizing well... so I wouldn't be too quick to judge.

Aside from some quirks (that I am not aware of) specific to MoM, I don't believe MoM would be any different from CPU vs. CPU games.

One major caveat is that all my test games are in the first year of season using the default roster shipped with the game. A couple ways that the game may play differently even using the same slider set are (1) using a roster set that does not distribute player attribute ratings to be close to how the developers do by default and (2) using a carry-over save with player progression taking place for a few years.

Both of these can shift player attributes away from how the game is initially tuned and can lead league averages to become "off" from what you see in my spreadsheets.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #311
Rookie

Hey Nomo thanks for the response. Im using the Ridings OS roster. I'll stick with it as I really appreciate the testing you've done and I'd like to get my stats that close to real life stats. These damn catchers dropping the balls drive me nuts. Anyways thanks for all your work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2017, 05:18 AM   #312
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

There will be a new patch dropping today... hopefully there won't be any more major changes to things that don't really need to change at this point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkvitz89
Hey Nomo thanks for the response. Im using the Ridings OS roster. I'll stick with it as I really appreciate the testing you've done and I'd like to get my stats that close to real life stats. These damn catchers dropping the balls drive me nuts. Anyways thanks for all your work.
I don't know what kind of attribute rating chages are involved in the Ridings OS roster, but so long as there aren't any global changes applied, it should be okay. For example the initial OSFM release is okay as they don't touch major league players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »