Home

Informal survey

This is a discussion on Informal survey within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
Senior AI Programmer - MLB: The Show

OVR: 7
Informal survey

Hi, I have a 3-part informal survey about some ideas that came up in discussions. Feel free to answer as few or many as you like.

1) How important are any of these features to you?
* Allow Dynamic Difficulty to advance multiple difficulties in 1 game.
* Way to remove R2 reminder OSD. If yes, by game option? Something else?
* Pitcher/Batter Analysis on d-pad. Which d-pad direction?
* More stats/information on d-pad. Which ones?
* Bring back the dotted line display showing your pitch break after a pitch crosses the plate.
* Tone down HR Derby power (fun vs. realism)
* AVG/HR/RBI in batter walkup display. If yes, always?
* Player energy OSD more readable. If yes, how should it look?
* Game watch option for RTTS
* The ability to manually or automatically set the color of your controller. How?
* Sabermetric or any other stats tracked/displayed. A few? A lot? Which ones? Where to display?
* Any other stat or OSD that was removed that you want to see again?

2) Do you use and like any of these features?
* Dynamic Difficulty
* Showtime (slow down time)
* RTTS Perks
* Pitcher/Batter Analysis menu
* Game Log
* Strategy Guide

3) Finally, a very subjective question: Which 2 or 3 pitchers and hitters do you think are the best to use in-game? The worst?

It's not my call, but I guarantee I'll be bringing each point up in wishlist discussions even if nobody else mentions them. Thank you!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: Informal survey

I definitely want more stats on screen. I want to see how many strikeouts my opposing pitcher has on me. And I want batters season stats or split stats shown on screen not just how they are hitting on The day
Old 04-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
Hi, I have a 3-part informal survey about some ideas that came up in discussions. Feel free to answer as few or many as you like.

This would be awesome, especially for early on when you're resetting your DD level. Even better would be transferable DD levels from one iteration to the next.
Not important to me
Doesn't necessarily matter which direction, but I would like to see this.
Not important
* Bring back the dotted line display showing your pitch break after a pitch crosses the plate.
Not important
I'd like to keep it more realistic
Yes, always
Very important.. I can barely see it as it is now. Maybe just a thicker bar?
Not important.
* The ability to manually or automatically set the color of your controller. How?
I'm not even sure what this is referring to. Not important
* Sabermetric or any other stats tracked/displayed. A few? A lot? Which ones? Where to display?
I think this would be cool. I would like to just see FIP for pitchers, and maybe WAR and wOBA for hitters as a stat wipe sequence. It doesn't need to be a regular occurrence.
Can't think of any.

* Dynamic Difficulty
Yes, love it!
No
* RTTS Perks
No
Yes, at times. It can definitely be useful.
* Game Log
Rarely
* Strategy Guide
Rarely

3) Finally, a very subjective question: Which 2 or 3 pitchers and hitters do you think are the best to use in-game? The worst?
I don't really have an opinion on this.

It's not my call, but I guarantee I'll be bringing each point up in wishlist discussions even if nobody else mentions them. Thank you!
Answers in bold.

Watch me play video games

Last edited by Jr.; 04-12-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #4
Rookie

Moss44's Arena

OVR: 0

I love having info on D-Pad. It's great to see stats, ratings, etc. without having to go into the menus. Don't care about direction. Stats like season (or previous season) ERA/AVG vs LHP/RHP (whichever one is batting/pitching). Also It'd be great to see power stats such as K/9 for pitchers and HRs hit rate for batters (per 100 AB or something like that.)

Honestly I think SABER stats are good how they are. Easily accessible but not over done. Comparable to real life.

I like the AVG, HR, RBI in batter walk up display. I always like it on there but I like it small once there are current in game stats (0-1 with a K, 2-3 with a HR and 2 RBIs, etc)

I use the Game Log to check attendance, etc. in RTTS. It's a neat feature.

Analysis menus are good for online to view trends in the opponent.

Controller color is irrelevant to me, as is Dynamic Difficulty, RTTS Game Watch, Showtime, etc.

I think perks are dumb.

Thanks SCEA for caring so much about the community! This is a great game, there's nothing else like it!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #5
Pro

Definately wanna be able to read the energy better,not sure how to achieve that without making the pie bigger.Maybe make the green darker?I'm wondering Brian is it possible to bring back the ability to see the hot zone cards in-game i play MoM mode?I personally like Hr,Rbi's,and avg in each Ab.I use the strategy guide quite a bit often just refering back to certain stuff.Quick Mom question?Do you think will ever have the ability to select the pitch along with location?Either way i'm just happy you guys leave it in the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Warriors
Sharks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #6
MVP

milldaddy35's Arena

* Allow Dynamic Difficulty to advance multiple difficulties in 1 game. - Not important at all as I don't use dynamic difficulty
* Pitcher/Batter Analysis on d-pad. Which d-pad direction? - I like this feature as I use it a lot, and it is very easily accessed. I don't care which D-pad direction it is.
* More stats/information on d-pad. Which ones? - Can't answer this off the top of the head, but if OBP and pitcher v batter stats aren't there I would like them to be.
* Bring back the dotted line display showing your pitch break after a pitch crosses the plate. - I would love this feature, but if it meant something new doesn't get in, don't do it.
* Tone down HR Derby power (fun vs. realism) - Don't play this mode, but make it realistic
* AVG/HR/RBI in batter walkup display. If yes, always? - Yes, I always look at this and would like OBP to be added to this.
* Game watch option for RTTS - Never watch a RTTS game, in fact I would like RTTS to progress quicker
* Sabermetric or any other stats tracked/displayed. A few? A lot? Which ones? Where to display? - In the franchise menu. A lot as I like to compare different players by sabermetrics.
* Any other stat or OSD that was removed that you want to see again? - I know it is a long shot but I would like the fox or espn package to be added to the game (yes, i know it has never been in the game, but different games have done it ex - NCAA 10, NCAA football 14)

* Dynamic Difficulty - No, and no it doesn't seem to work for me
* Showtime (slow down time) - I use it while batting but I don't like how you can't use it sometimes even if you haven't used it the entire game.
* RTTS Perks - I dislike this feature. I don't use it because it isn't realistic. In real life a player can't go up there with 1 out and a runner on 3rd in a tie ball game in the bottom 9th and say, ok I am going to automatically hit a fly ball. It just makes it feel to 'arcady'
* Pitcher/Batter Analysis menu - Yes I love this feature
* Game Log - If I sim I use it, if I play no reason
* Strategy Guide - Not real important but I use it sometimes.

3) Finally, a very subjective question: Which 2 or 3 pitchers and hitters do you think are the best to use in-game? The worst? I can hit with Granderson and Rizzo very well. I think it is because the stances. I can't hit with Schwarber for some reason.

Thanks for asking the community for feedback.

College Football - Iowa Hawkeyes
College Basketball - Iowa Hawkeyes

MLB - Minnesota Twins
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
NFL - New York Jets
NHL - Minnesota Wild
Old 04-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA

I've been using the basic one more and nore to see what the pitcher has been throwing and how often I am taking. It is my goal to take more pitches this year.

It might be useful to have the more advanced one pop up to see how the pitcher threw the last time you faced him as that batter. Maybe up on the dpad? It could show what and where he threw, the outcome and hit probability.

Quote:
Pitch speeds. I am constantly pressing start to check the pitcher's pitch speeds. Ideally I'd want to see this on the OSD.

I press right on the dpad I think to see contact power and vision. And for a split second it shows speed. Maybe put speed on that information bar outright. I don't know why it only shows for a split second.

Quote:
First thing is that it should be bigger. I can't read it from across the room on a 42 inch TV. Part of this is that the colors used for it should have more contrast.

Quote:
Are broadcasts showing sabermetric stats regularly? If not, I wouldn't put it in the show.

Quote:
* Dynamic Difficulty
Awesome for new players. Never get rid of this. Makes the game more accessible while not alienating longtime players.

Quote:
* RTTS Perks
I feel these cheapen the game but I don't complain because they are optional.

Quote:
I use the in game one quite a bit this year. The more advanced one in the menus? I like the idea of it but I can't say I use it regularly. I look at it sometimes out of curiosity.

Quote:
* Game Log
I've looked at this sparingly. The highlight reel kind of reminds me of what happened in the game in a much more engaging way.

Quote:
* Strategy Guide
The dynamic tutorials probably replaced this for most new players. Why read when you can learn as you go.

Quote:
Pitchers with extremely short or long windup animations are always tough for me to get used to. Huston Street was one that took me a while to get the timing down. I'm not complaining because that's what makes him him. This is why I wish we had a choice to have warmuo pitchers on a case by case basis. Example: Put in game or put in game with warmup.

Slap hitters, ichiro types, Alejandro de aza types, always feel awkward to me when they hit it high and deep. Like where the hell did they get the power?

I'm more comfortable with the big power hitters.

Last edited by Spokker; 04-12-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I don't use DD so it has no importance
I already have it off because I don't view pitch types, but any option would be great to give the "clean screen" look. If you could make the pitch types visible by pressing a button it would be great.
I really like the DOWN push for info. It would be great if the screen was flooded with valuable info such as:
-Pitch count (balls/strikes/H/K)
-Pitcher pitch selection/info (speed ranges would be great)
-Current season stats (pitcher)
-Hitting attributes
-Current season stats (hitter)

I guess I answered this above. I would love an INFORMATIVE d-pad push and then you could do a STRATEGY d-pad push where you can have the bullpen/pinch hitter/defensive shifts and show batter/pitcher fatigue/energy info.
Nope. I turn off everything anyways and don't even use the feedback.
Never use HR Derby so don't care.
I think this always needs to be in the display. First AB it's prominent and below it you could have the small "trend" stat line. Like "John Doe has .344 batting average in June". Second AB+ you should put his game stats as the big stats and under have the season stats up to date.
Not a big deal to me. The less on screen the better.
Don't do RTTS, so no feedback
Doesn't matter to me
I think it's fine how it is now. I think the key core stats are all you need.
Sadly I haven't played enough to really give feedback here. Damn life getting in the way.

* Dynamic Difficulty Nope
* Showtime (slow down time) Nope
* RTTS Perks Nope
* Pitcher/Batter Analysis menu I do enjoy seeing the pitch history vs a specific batter. It would be great to have all pitches charted on one chart.
* Game Log I use it here and there. I think it's a necessity though.
* Strategy Guide Nope

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »