Home

Advice on Contract Extensions

This is a discussion on Advice on Contract Extensions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8
Advice on Contract Extensions

I usually just renew young players and go to arb with most others but I was curious if anyone has signed young players to a big contact before, how you came up with the money and years?
Did it impact the game for you, good or bad?

In the game, why commit to a player when you can just up the money till they sign? Sure in real life they could leave town for plenty of reasons.

Just wanted some input on if any of you guys do the big contract extensions with young players. Thanks.

Sent from my 831C using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Advice on Contract Extensions

Can't say I have. Usually my younger players that are good enough for huge contracts don't even have enough service time to leave the team, so I just re-up them for cheap until I can offer them a big contract, by which point they're already in their late twenties/ early thirties
Old 03-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGov
I usually just renew young players and go to arb with most others but I was curious if anyone has signed young players to a big contact before, how you came up with the money and years?
Did it impact the game for you, good or bad?

In the game, why commit to a player when you can just up the money till they sign? Sure in real life they could leave town for plenty of reasons.

Just wanted some input on if any of you guys do the big contract extensions with young players. Thanks.

I think the game did a good job last year (assuming it's the same this year and still does a good job) of replicating the demands a young player would have on a long term deal. I'll usually offer them long enough to buy out their arbitration years and maybe 1-2 years of FA, but not so long that they are too old for a second contract.

In other words, I'll offer enough years to where they are out of the contract around 29-30, and up the money until the interest bar is completely full. Sometimes they take it, sometimes they don't.

Watch me play video games
Old 03-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
Rookie

chc2100's Arena

I typically renew all my minor leaguers and most of the pre-arb players. The reason teams do long term deals with young guys is mostly for cost certainty and as a show of faith/confidence in a young player. Cost certainty is nice in the show but less important when millions of dollars aren't actually on the line. As for the show of faith you might get a boost to moral with a better deal - again its a small bonus. The real benefit is if you can eat into their FA years while they're still young it'll be cheaper and less risky than letting them hit the market as a matured player.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
MVP

TGov's Arena

Another thing to consider is player morale since contacts affect that. Would a long contract be better than a short one, does it matter?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #6
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGov
Another thing to consider is player morale since contacts affect that. Would a long contract be better than a short one, does it matter?

Money is the morale factor, not length. It'll negatively affect morale later in the contract since you'll be paying less than they expect.

Watch me play video games
Old 03-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #7
MVP

TGov's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Money is the morale factor, not length. It'll negatively affect morale later in the contract since you'll be paying less than they expect.
That's a good point

Old 03-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
Rookie

chc2100's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. Usually don't make it more than a few years with one team. I tend to get the boost early on if I give 'em a little extra in their cheap years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »