Home

Expansion draft help wanted

This is a discussion on Expansion draft help wanted within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

I would like to start with an expansion team at the start of myLeague. I do this by trading away all the players on the team I want to relocate and replace them by players that would likely be available if an expansion draft happened today. However, I've never seen an actual expansion draft since I've only been watching Basketball since 2006. This means that I have no clue which players would realisticly be available. So I really appreciate it if anyone could give me some pointers on how an expansion draft works.

One thing that would be even better is someone giving me a list consisting of players that I am allowed to take. I understand that I might be asking for a lot but maybe someone likes to do it or just wants to help me out. I would really appreciate it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Expansion draft help wanted

You can look up the rules for expansion drafts on the net. The basics are that all the teams protect a certain amount of players. The rest on a roster are put into a pool that the expansion team can draft from.

If you want to recreate an expansion draft I would make a rule that you can only use the bottom three rated players from each team to put on your expansion team.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 09-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
Pro

DutchMastah7's Arena

OVR: 6

Yeah I remember the last one the NBA had for the Bobcats. Each team protected 8 players and the rest were in a pool for Charlotte to choose from. A lot of teams weren't protecting guys that were making way too much money for their production. Antoine Walker was made available by Dallas (I think that's who he was with). I'd go with what Kyoto said. And you can always get guys from the free agent pool as well.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...box-360-a.html

NBA: Bulls (Secondary Team: Hornets)
NFL: Colts
NHL: Blues
MLB: Mariners
Old 09-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
McG
Rookie

McG's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
You can look up the rules for expansion drafts on the net. The basics are that all the teams protect a certain amount of players. The rest on a roster are put into a pool that the expansion team can draft from.

If you want to recreate an expansion draft I would make a rule that you can only use the bottom three rated players from each team to put on your expansion team.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Also, in the past some some players with contracts that outweigh their current skills would be unprotected. Think someone like Joe Johnson or Amare two or three years ago. I would think that would be fair and bring some realism to it. My only rule would be that the big contract players would have to have at least 2 years left on the deal. Mainly because when there is only one year left, teams look at this as huge plus. With a huge number coming off the cap (i.e. Joe Johnson this year $24.9 mil falling off the cap after this year) teams can use that to sign a big name free agent. Just my two cents, sounds like a cool idea though.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #5
Rookie

I do this in madden as well, it's a lot of fun. Here are the rules from nba.com for the 2004 Bobcats expansion. http://www.nba.com/hornets/news/draf...s_summary.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
Rookie

I plan on doing this as well. Controlling all 30 teams, setting everyone to autopilot except the Kings. Re locating the Kings and then doing the expansion draft that first season. Sim the season, then pick up and play from season 2 on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
Rookie

BigSean715's Arena

This sounds like a pretty good idea. I have a few questions though.
1. What team did you choose to relocate?
2. What did you trade your players for?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »