Home

More control over defenders.

This is a discussion on More control over defenders. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2016, 03:16 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
More control over defenders.

This is something that's been bugging me for a while but I'm not sure if it's my settings or 2k.

When I'm controlling a defender in the paint and someone is backing down, I never jump. Ever. (In post up situations). I always just stand there with my arms straight up to contest. Now sometimes guys make the shot, fair enough, other times they call a foul, fair enough. But most of the time they miss.

But what bothers me is sometimes my guy jumps anyway. I haven't told him to jump. I haven't pushed anything. He just jumps right on top of the offensive player and it often results in an and-1 but at the very least it bails them out of taking a bad shot and serves them up two free throws.

It's bad enough that when guys drive and I go for the block there's some sort of input delay that results in my guy jumping for the block about 3 seconds after I've hit the button. But now my defender is doing things on his own? Even when I'm supposed to be in control?

Note: I wouldn't mind so much if I was playing off ball and the on ball defender did this. I would put it down to his tendencies. But for a player I'm controlling to do something I haven't told them to do seems... off.

Anyone else experienced this? Is it related to any of the settings or sliders?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2016, 03:30 AM   #2
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: More control over defenders.

Yeah that happens to me too. I've been wondering if it's not my fault though. I think for vertical defense you are supposed to hold away from the offensive player and I'am not sure if I always do that. Could be wrong though.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:07 AM   #3
Rookie

Khaos_Kiwi's Arena

It's gotten so bad with post defence that I can almost predict when a foul is going to be called.

If you try and give a bit space to your man off-ball, then close out smartly upon the catch, even with just putting your hands up it's likely to suck you in to some BS contact/foul animation when the shot goes up.

Half the time defending in the post seems to be spent fighting against the clunky and unresponsive movements of my player more than actually defending the opposition.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #4
MVP

jk31's Arena

Best postdefense is to do nearly nothing. Don't use intense D, this will lead to a foul 90% of the time. Use your left stick if you are 100% sure, that youre opponent will use the post spin, else don't use the left stick at all. Hold your right stick away from your opponent. That way I rarely get called for fouls and I am able to force some misses.

Yeah...shows a lot how "good" the defense is in this game, when the best Defense is to do nothing at all and let the animations play out ....
Old 08-02-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I turn off all defensive assistance and set contest to manual. This stop all 'auto' animatons at the rim for me.... I contest with a neutral Y jump or RS straight up.

Wish it did the same for my A.I teamates. Conservative POE helps but its not 100%. They are the ones bailing guus out the majority of the time....they come flying in for no apparant reason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I turn off all defensive assistance and set contest to manual. This stop all 'auto' animatons at the rim for me.... I contest with a neutral Y jump or RS straight up.

Wish it did the same for my A.I teamates. Conservative POE helps but its not 100%. They are the ones bailing guus out the majority of the time....they come flying in for no apparant reason.
I have my settings the same as yours.. It helps A TON but it still will suck you in every once in a while.

Regardless, I hope the auto foul and defensive abilities are more controllable next year. I'm sure 2K has gotten the message throughout this year.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #7
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Yeah I have assistances off too and I get thoses foul animations still. I mean if it's based on a post defense rating I'am fine with that.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1

I wish there was more to post defense. It seems like if I'm being posted up, I can take one hand, grab my coffee, drink it and still maybe get a stop.

Interesting points about turning off defensive assists etc.

Can't help but wonder though...... if there is a direction post defense can go (in terms of adding gameplay depth)?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »