Home

Authentic Audio in NBA 2K16

This is a discussion on Authentic Audio in NBA 2K16 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
Pro

ClevelandinDistress's Arena

OVR: 10
Authentic Audio in NBA 2K16

The visuals are solid, there's no denying that. What I will bring up however, is the game's audio fidelity. It seems to lack a certain passion and flair that helps bring the gamer even closer to the action.

NBA 2K16 introducing Arena Audio 2.0

"The rising electricity in every fan's voice comes to life like never before with our Arena emotion system."

• Camera Location Sound

We know that every fan of NBA 2K has their own preferences and passion for the game. While some may enjoy the 3rd person view of the 2k camera, many also take pride in seeing the game as if they were watching it on T.V with the broadcast camera. For the first time ever in NBA 2K16, your camera selection is not the only way to control your immersion.

Introducing the Arena sound modifier:

At default this syncs with the camera of your choice but you may also wish to customize it further. In previous versions of NBA 2K you are limited to simply controlling the volume of sounds. With the Arena emotion system, your camera's view has a distinct impact on the sound and angles. Not only will you be drawn into the game like never before, but will now have the full immersion from every spot in the building. This fully takes advantage of 5.1 Surround sound and the new individualized sections of sound in NBA 2K16.

• Arena Specific sounds

The individuality of every NBA team's home court provides the excitement and organic enchantment you expect from the NBA. In NBA 2K16, every NBA arena's unique sounds come to life with distinct sound effects and upgraded P.A. Announcer audio. Providing depth to this system is a whole new catalogue of P.A. script. Playing in the 4th quarter and getting close to the 100 mark? Expect to hear the announcer reminding fans of the Taco giveaway. Is the next game against a division rivalry? The announcer will remind fans to pick up their tickets. Up by 3 with a minute left? The P.A. will get your fans up with various phrases such as "Get on your feet for the last minute of the game." "Let's go____(insert team) FANS, GET ON YOUR FEET!" And when the fans react, the combination of 20,000 voices is finally loud,proud,and intense.

The true passion and excitement will also be represented in the P.A's voice as his volume and intensity increases with the game's emotion.

This video shows a good example of what to expect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3nq1pFJyD4

• The Little Details
A big emphasis for NBA 2K16 is the attention to details. This includes one of the biggest aspects for fans. Free throw distraction. Unlike ever before, we've added dynamic sounds for clackers, rhythmic chants, and thunder sticks. This all adds to the intensity at the free throw line. For the first time ever, we want players to feel the pressure at the stripe.

Another key aspect we've developed is a library of over 10,000 unique crowd sounds. From a heckler in the 8th row, to a crowd composed of 200 screaming kids on a field trip, the uniqueness to every arena and matchup will provide a sense of a living breathing world. Is it an afternoon game in the middle of week? Expect to hear a more subdued crowd. Is the star player on your team heating up? Expect to hear "ooo's and aaah's" as he continues to make the defense look silly.

We've also increased the number of unique crowd voices. Expect to hear a random "defense!" or "lets go!" from some of your more passionate fans. Playing a home town rival such as the Clippers vs. Lakers? Expect this to be even more apparent as opposing fans battle for the crowd control. This includes chants, taunting, and overall arena presence.

• 2K Player Voice

Last year we implemented Real Voice, this year we take it even further. Now in game, you'll hear signature play calling from your favourite NBA stars. Taking a hard foul has never sounded so good as players yell and scream "AND-1!" Certain players have a tendency to talk more, and this is reflected with an emotion and vocal tendency slider.

• Hard Fouls
For the first time ever, you can physically hear the fouls. From slaps on the hands to striking the forearms, every physical interaction is replicated in NBA 2K16.

• Crowd Noise dynamically mixed with Broadcast

If you've ever seen an NBA game on TV, you know that the energy and sound of a loud arena transcends into the broadcaster's mic. This year we've dynamically mixed the crowd sounds into the broadcast team. This will make them tougher to hear if the crowd is really going wild. This also plays a factor with the on-court reporting. Doris Burke reports from the sidelines and this is reflected accurately in NBA 2K16. Unlike never before, the broadcast team doesn't sound isolated, but are in fact a part of the exciting and evolving environments of the NBA.

• Custom Arena Sounds
Back and better than ever! New settings such as player individuality. Different sounds for jump shots, 3 pointers and free throws. Half time music and victory music are just some of the additional settings.

• Referee Voices

Another authentic area missing from NBA 2K in the past was referee audio. In NBA 2K16 we've recorded the league's refs to get authentic foul calls and player interaction. After a foul hear the referee say

"Personal foul, number 35, number 20 gets two shots" as he walks over to the scorers table.

At the line, expect the referee to direct the players with simple terms such as "Alright guys, two shots."

"2 shots! Line up guys." "The ball is live after the free throw "

Fouls are an important aspect of basketball. It can literally change the course of a game or strip the best player of his ability to win the game.

In Mycareer, you'll hear the referee reminding you of your critical 5th foul. Or if you pick up two quick reaching fouls, he'll make a quick comment about not being so aggressive towards the ball handler.

Improving the experience with the Playstation 4

With Next Gen technology we can bring you closer to the hardwood than ever before. Exclusively on Playstation 4, we capitalize on the controller's built in speaker to further enhance the immersion.

In Mycareer, hear your team mates calling for the ball or your coach calling out plays. This separates the action from on screen and further brings you into the game. We've also mapped some of the referee interactions to the controller speaker for a more personal and intimate experience.

Another improvement we'd like to share is MyCareer Vocal Emotion

The NBA is a very vocal sport. Communication is critical is all areas of the game. With Mycareer, we want to simulate your Myplayer as a living, breathing, force on the basketball floor. Here him voice his frustration after a string of missed shots, or yell

"You can't guard me' after a deep three.

These can be subtle in nature or let the whole arena know.

In NBA 2K16, emotions and immersion are the biggest improvements to NBA 2K since Isomotion.

Expect the atmosphere with NBA 2K16!

*Is it obvious I want a job with NBA 2K?*

Last edited by ClevelandinDistress; 09-27-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
Rookie

JBulls's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Authentic Audio in NBA 2K16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandinDistress
*Is it obvious I want a job with NBA 2K?*
Are you an audio engineer?
Old 09-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBulls
Are you an audio engineer?
I live in so I don't think I'm fit for the job. Besides that I only have basic audio experiences in terms of Instrumental building with Maschine and cutting up voices and layering in Audition. I have an ear for audio, I'm just not an engineer.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Rookie

JBulls's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
I live in so I don't think I'm fit for the job. Besides that I only have basic audio experiences in terms of Instrumental building with Maschine and cutting up voices and layering in Audition. I have an ear for audio, I'm just not an engineer.
Where you live doesn't matter. 2K is banking on people with expertise and passion. If you got those then you got a pretty good shot.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Yeah pretty sure Leftos got his job from Greece.

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBulls
Where you live doesn't matter. 2K is banking on people with expertise and passion. If you got those then you got a pretty good shot.
Well I have been playing NBA 2K since 2004. Maybe they're hiring in the P.R. or media relations sector? That's more my forte. My best bet would probably be if Ronnie 2k and LD2K needed someone to embarrass on the live stream.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
MVP

SwaggerCoach's Arena

The suggested improvements you laid out are all brilliant IMO. 2k has stunning visuals and excellent commentary. If they implemented half of your ideas, we would really feel completely immersed with excellent audio.

We tend to have a bias toward visual improvement...but what you're talking about would do more for 2k from a presentation standpoint than any other visual tweaks could. I'm not saying 2k should stop improving the game from a graphic standpoint...but audio additions like these would be amazing!!!
Old 09-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Ill just throw my thread in here as well that I made and hopefully it helps as well

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...tmosphere.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Alright guys I want to start an audio thread for 2k to read since we're on nex gen. I know that the arena sounds have been improved, and I hear a variation on things like arena specific music which is cool, but they can take it a step further and post some video ideas if you'd like, because that's what im going to start with.

First off the rim sounds are awful and its been the same since dreamcast. I'd like 2k to incorporate some real NBA sounds with the offense, making jumpers which right now sounds like an old hollow cylinder from a museum, and the dunks which are just bad. Here are about 3 sounds below just so I won't overflow the post too much.

Things to notice

Crowd reaction, rim sound (and its noticeable bend), Announcer reaction

Crowd reaction, Player scream

This is how a long jumper should sound hitting the rim hard

Rim sound, announcer, crowd (kinda muffled)

Adding more stuff like this would go a long way in the game

Okay here is a bonus one of a bunch of game winners. Varying crowd sounds, how the rim sounds and the announcers as well as how players react

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »