Home

Does anybody play user defense in Online Play Now?

This is a discussion on Does anybody play user defense in Online Play Now? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0

Just started playing the game mode again since park is dying out. I have yet to play someone who plays user defense. Everybody allows the computer to play defense and just sits on the the big the whole game. Some users switch defenders every time their matchup has the ball. Lol It's hideous. Currently 15-2 but the struggle is real sometimes. I rock with play now heavy. Wouldn't mind seeing some key changes in the mode tho.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #2
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Re: Does anybody play user defense in Online Play Now?

I just started MyLeague (online) and I see the same thing...

I think you have to cuz if you try and play user defense, then all of a sudden your CPU teammates will leave everyone open and you can't switch to them and run back on defense fast enough.

I found myself just controlling the big cuz my dudes refuse to help in the paint on drives.

I'd love to know what defensive settings you should use if you want to play user defense, though.

Last edited by SirGaryColeman; 06-12-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:45 PM   #3
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrupted
Just started playing the game mode again since park is dying out. I have yet to play someone who plays user defense. Everybody allows the computer to play defense and just sits on the the big the whole game. Some users switch defenders every time their matchup has the ball. Lol It's hideous. Currently 15-2 but the struggle is real sometimes. I rock with play now heavy. Wouldn't mind seeing some key changes in the mode tho.
That's how I play. It's not illegal and I usually still lose
Old 06-13-2017, 01:10 AM   #4
Rookie

DatGuy12x2's Arena

I see a lot of people play this way. Even playing with friends offline, they tend to do it as well. I've accepted it as the norm at this point. I still play on-ball defense myself just out of habit from sim leagues I've played in in the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2017, 02:05 AM   #5
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Playing off ball all game is a bailout. They know the ai is the best defender so they take the easy way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Pro

TheDuggler's Arena

To be fair the CPU plays absolutely awful off-ball defence and you will be eaten alive if you spend too much time defending the ball handler.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuggler
To be fair the CPU plays absolutely awful off-ball defence and you will be eaten alive if you spend too much time defending the ball handler.
Yeah, you really have to do it to make up for the bad AI.

I started doing it because I was playing great user defense only to see my cpu teammates were leaving people wide open (even though I set all my defensive settings to prevent it).

I've had more success controlling my big and using man-to-man + smart defensive settings... I still play user defense, but this strategy seems to be the only way to make sure the CPU doesn't screw everything up.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
Banned

Housh123's Arena

I never understood 2k user's obsession with on ball vs off ball.

2k10-about 2k13 you could literally shut peoples water off with on ball defense. Like if you werent playing on ball D you were pure trash because on ball was simply the better defense. I used to make GREAT players quit by half in 2k10 and 11. You could really destroy a dudes whole offense by having stick skills on ball.

Then 2k14 and beyond happened and 2k started adding dumb animations like the one where even if you are right in front of a guy he "slides" past you. Then as time went on they added more and more BS meant to help offense. Then this year they gave D a huge middle finger and made lateral quickness way inferior to speed with the ball. Honestly when I play ranked I have ways to attack off and on ball and I could care less what you use. In my mind it has no bearing on skill level anymore. In earlier 2k's it did. But now defense is so poorly made by the devs that most times you HAVE to play off ball D on the center just to not give up 70 points in the paint.

Last edited by Housh123; 06-13-2017 at 04:14 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »