Home

Coach Settings?

This is a discussion on Coach Settings? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Coach Settings?

They seem to have a pretty big effect on the gameplay this year. One of the first things I've noticed about the game is that so many teams play so fast, always make the right passes, shoot quickly, etc.(The Lakers).

So just messing around with Coach Profiles, I noticed some weird things. What's with all the coaches having game tempo in the 90's? The Lakers and Nuggets have this....and although they are relatively uptempo teams, they don't especially push the ball down the court. In fact, like any other sports league.....there's not especially a difference between one team and another. I put the Warriors tempo at 60, which I felt should be the max.

Some of the shot selection sliders are weird as well. Again too much variance between teams....which is why I believe some teams play weird and some play fine. For instance, Cleveland took 38% of their shots in what we consider in close, 38% midrange, and 23% from 3 point range. On the other end of the spectrum, the Warriors took 44% of their shots from a close range, 27% midrange, and 29% from three. (www.nba.com/hotspots).

Some quick adjustments I made were to have the attack the basket slider and close shot tendecy add up to the real close shot % of each team for the 2007-2008 season. So for a team like the Lakers I put the close shot slider at 17 and the attack the basket slider at 22 to reflect the 39% of close shot the Lakers shoot in real life. I am wary to change the midrange and 3pt shot sliders to real %'s, but in general, I think one should be especially far off.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Coach Settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
They seem to have a pretty big effect on the gameplay this year. One of the first things I've noticed about the game is that so many teams play so fast, always make the right passes, shoot quickly, etc.(The Lakers).

So just messing around with Coach Profiles, I noticed some weird things. What's with all the coaches having game tempo in the 90's? The Lakers and Nuggets have this....and although they are relatively uptempo teams, they don't especially push the ball down the court. In fact, like any other sports league.....there's not especially a difference between one team and another. I put the Warriors tempo at 60, which I felt should be the max.

Some of the shot selection sliders are weird as well. Again too much variance between teams....which is why I believe some teams play weird and some play fine. For instance, Cleveland took 38% of their shots in what we consider in close, 38% midrange, and 23% from 3 point range. On the other end of the spectrum, the Warriors took 44% of their shots from a close range, 27% midrange, and 29% from three. (www.nba.com/hotspots).

Some quick adjustments I made were to have the attack the basket slider and close shot tendecy add up to the real close shot % of each team for the 2007-2008 season. So for a team like the Lakers I put the close shot slider at 17 and the attack the basket slider at 22 to reflect the 39% of close shot the Lakers shoot in real life. I am wary to change the midrange and 3pt shot sliders to real %'s, but in general, I think one should be especially far off.
Next to the Warriors and the Suns, the Nuggets might be the fastest offensive team as far as tempo goes.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky

Good post. I've been trying to adjust the coach settings also but haven't had a lot of time free this week. I posted this a week or so back:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...d-assists.html
Old 10-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacFrog
Next to the Warriors and the Suns, the Nuggets might be the fastest offensive team as far as tempo goes.
That may be true, but it's also too fast for the Warriors and Suns.

I put the Warriors tempo at 60, the Nuggets at 52, and then the Lakers and Suns at 50.

CV, I also agree with your assessment there. There's definately a difference and to me, with play calling lower things feel more organic.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »