Home

Something that needs to be said about the fullcourt press/trap.

This is a discussion on Something that needs to be said about the fullcourt press/trap. within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14
Something that needs to be said about the fullcourt press/trap.

A lot of people call for policing the overuse of fullcourt defense by increasing fatigue. There are college teams that press all game and while they do sub a lot and they play shorter games there are still players that can play fullcourt defense for 30+ minutes.

Fatigue should be increased whenever a team plays a fast pace but this has to be done in moderation. Fatigue is not the main reason fullcourt defense is rarely used as more than a change of pace in the NBA. NBA teams break the press well. The main reason people use it online is not because its hard to break. It is the weakness of halfcourt defense. You can break the press for easy scores online but most people will trade that for a couple turnovers. The halfcourt defense is so weak they are going to give up those easy scores without the turnovers.

In other words improve the halfcourt defense and those easy scores wont be such an easy trade for couple turnovers.

Last edited by Kaanyr Vhok; 06-13-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Something that needs to be said about the fullcourt press/trap.

Thats how I always felt, for every action there is a equal and opposite reaction, Full court press, get tired, try to swipe at the ball, more fouls called, try to isomotion in paint, lose dribble, try to dunk every time, Fatigue and get hurt. Try to throw baseball pass all the time especially someone who cant throw, ball sails out of bounds and player bobbles it before gathering. I think that is very easy to implement in the game...

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Old 06-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
Thats how I always felt, for every action there is a equal and opposite reaction, Full court press, get tired, try to swipe at the ball, more fouls called, try to isomotion in paint, lose dribble, try to dunk every time, Fatigue and get hurt. Try to throw baseball pass all the time especially someone who cant throw, ball sails out of bounds and player bobbles it before gathering. I think that is very easy to implement in the game...
2k used to have a full court man 2 man option different from FC press but they took it out. they also used to have the bobble pass in earlier 2k's but people whined about it incessantly so it went away. Fatigue needs to play more of a factor in that kind of defense and regarding turbo usage. Another reason why that defense can be so effective is because offensive players don't move briskly enough to get open when crowded and the passing mechanics are a little floaty leading to turnovers.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
Thats cool as long as the devlopers understand that increasing fouls, fatigue and all that you mentioned only treats the symtom. The main reason people play fullcourt defense is that halfcourt defense is so inefective that people would rather give up easy baskets to cherry pick or force turnovers.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 28

Ya, i would like to see them increase fatigue. I think that would help a ton online.

I just think it would be kind of hard to implement that kind of thing though.

You just cant take the option away though.

I honestly think its not going to change at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanyr Vhok
Thats cool as long as the devlopers understand that increasing fouls, fatigue and all that you mentioned only treats the symtom. The main reason people play fullcourt defense is that halfcourt defense is so inefective that people would rather give up easy baskets to cherry pick or force turnovers.
half court defense sucks mostly because people prefer to let the CPU play it for them. Idiots have not yet learned that the cpu contesting shots is different from user contested shots.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 34

I mentioned this on the exploits thread, but the major problem, in addition to fatigue, is that the fullcourt press, seems to magically make every guy on the team doing, into a lock down defender.

Combine that with it being near impossible to catch a pass on the run, and it is difficult to shred this like you should be able to.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:23 AM   #8
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebone21
half court defense sucks mostly because people prefer to let the CPU play it for them. Idiots have not yet learned that the cpu contesting shots is different from user contested shots.
Even after I learned that halfcourt defense was still poor. Most of the people I play online already know this too buts pretty easy to get space for shots against anyone user too. Also if you contest shots you are going to rack up shooting fouls especially of the three freethrow variety. Some of it isnt the defense though. The shooting is crazy juiced on allstar. Reguardless you still end up with the same results. I cant blame people for playing fullcourt. Unless you go on a run its hard to get stops in halfcourt. In fullcourt its even harder but at least you force turnovers. Its the same thing with people trying to draw halfcourt charges. Its a wreckless flop but its worth the risk if your oponent is shooting more than 60% and its pretty easy to shoot 60% on allstar.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »