Home

Game Engines, Your Thoughts.......

This is a discussion on Game Engines, Your Thoughts....... within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What's should 2K do?
Keep tweaking the current engine until they can't anymore. 48 66.67%
Dump the old and start a new (even though it will take some years to get it right. 24 33.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
MVP

TheBadazz's Arena

OVR: 12
Graphics and Gameplay Engine........

I know most of you are ready for 2K to dump their current Graphics and/or Gameplay engines. So your thoughts, Dump the current engines and that some years to get that right? OR Keep tweaking the current engines until they can't anymore.

XBox One GT: TheBadazz
PSN GT: TheBadazzOG
Nintendo Switch #:
5725-3994-1005

Last edited by TheBadazz; 08-20-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Game Engines, Your Thoughts.......

Should have put out the names so people man up with this poll cause a lot of guys will pick one without putting down a solid reason behind it. I think their engine is still nice. I think that they can revamp their engine to increase their color palette for more flesh tone realistic colors as a start. Also could tweak the lighting which really affects the off colors of most of the things that we as gamers have complaints about. By the way, which "Engine" are we talking about? Several engines make up the game.......
Old 08-20-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
MVP

TheBadazz's Arena

OVR: 12

Graphics and Gamplay Engine.

It would have been nice to have CH around. They could have tried new engines (Graphics, Gameplay, and Logic/A.I.) on that game and what ever work move it to NBA.

XBox One GT: TheBadazz
PSN GT: TheBadazzOG
Nintendo Switch #:
5725-3994-1005

Last edited by TheBadazz; 08-20-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #4
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

I was just thinking about how CH NEEDS to come back next year so we can be in glorified bliss with those two titles. I hope that it comes out sometime again in the near future. I do think the A.I./Logic can be fine with a few tweaks. The main problem is the fact that they have someone who isn't qualified with numbers putting up horrible attribute combinations that "break" the game in so many ways. I would love for the game to be harder without the cheesing on the higher difficulties though. Guess that would be gameplay. All of those things could be tweaked with the current engine they have.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:25 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 41

If people say that their gameplay took a step backwards from previous years, it's because of player control, mostly. I feel like half the time I can't control exactly where my guy's going in 2K9, whereas I rarely had that problem in 2K8. Everything just seems a little slow.

However, having said that, the engine is solid. Post plays develop realistically if you have the right guys in the post, the pick and roll is kind of dumb sometimes (PFs setting the screen on the wrong side, toward the sideline for example). But, shooting, passing, rebounding, and all of the simple stuff work well, and have worked well for years, when the game is running at 100%.

They have the goods, they just need to keep polishing them up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
Should have put out the names so people man up with this poll cause a lot of guys will pick one without putting down a solid reason behind it. I think their engine is still nice. I think that they can revamp their engine to increase their color palette for more flesh tone realistic colors as a start. Also could tweak the lighting which really affects the off colors of most of the things that we as gamers have complaints about. By the way, which "Engine" are we talking about? Several engines make up the game.......
You nailed it with the color palette/flesh tone comment that was my first thought. But gameplay is solid, no need to start over. The game should play more realistic without having to tweak sliders for weeks. Trust me guys, i have to play a handful of games in order to be comfortable with the final stats. Sometimes it would take a month or so before i even start a season/franchise.

DR Russell
Old 08-20-2009, 02:48 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 10

They need to rebuild an engine not build on showmanship but on balance for competitive play. 2k is beautiful but flavorless. It's like a stepford wife.

It really needs to start as simple as move-countermove until every move has a legit (and just as simple) countermove. If you know someone is gonna try to dunk on you, you should be able to stop it a large portion of the time. No matter if it's LeBron or who.

Don't start me on a tangent here, but there is so much more that can be done with basketball games in general. How about a more dynamic fatigue (something I've been asking for forever), a collision detection system based on mass and momentum, a balance issue for jump shooting. Tell me it wouldn't be sick to move the shooting all the way to the stick and have it be more like FT shooting... and maybe relate it to your movement (leaning to the right a bit on your shotstick if you are running to the left to pull up for a balanced jumper.)

I dunno, man, but they need to overhaul it. No matter what. For the love of the game. It's almost 2010 now... look at Live 95, do you think games have had 15 years of improvement? I'll answer: HELL NO.

-Smak
Old 08-20-2009, 07:04 AM   #8
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

What is an engine TheBadazz?

Does 2K currently only have one?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »