Home

How Can I Get My Shooters Clean Looks?

This is a discussion on How Can I Get My Shooters Clean Looks? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 34
How Can I Get My Shooters Clean Looks?

This is my only real "gripe" with the game.

I can only get an open jump shot:

1) In transition
2) Off of a double team
3) If I'm shooting over a smaller defender.

I cant get much of anything off of half court sets, screens, off ball movement or off the dribble-drive penetration.

I see the shooter rub against the screener, which kills the play because it stops his movement, andthe trailing defender latches right onto him.

Or, I see the defender just run through the screen as if no screen has been set at all, and he is immediately in position to close out on my shooter. I rarely see a solid screen set and see the defender have to "fight" through it.

I havent seen the jab step move work, in creating space either.

In dribble-drive penetration, I dont see kick out opportunities either. The AI defenders always stay at home on the perimeter...and the only passing opportunities are to the C or PF in the paint.

suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: How Can I Get My Shooters Clean Looks?

Pick and roll.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 8

My issue is that the recovery by the defense is too quick. They rotate over so fast that you can't even throw the pass to the open man fast enough to get him an open shot. Also the recovery when they go for pump fakes is ridiculously fast too. I'll pump fake and the man will jump for it and literally be able to jump a second time and block the shot when I try to shoot. How the physics of that work, I'm not sure. But I really would like to see slower recovery times and also like to see the CPU be more forgiving in what constitutes an open shot. I had this debate in another thread with Jeebs, and he disagrees with me (but I think it's primarily in our definitions of what constitutes a contested shot), but if you watch IRL, even mid level players like Nocioni or Stuckey or Salmons will knock down a shot with the defensive player running at them with a hand up. In 2k, that kind of defense seems to constitute a "well-contested shot" and they miss most of the time. I can't believe how many shots Rip Hamilton misses for me (or Charlie V for that matter) with the defender one step away and his hand up. IRL, that's an open shot for Rip and lots of other players. But in 2k that seems to be considered great D.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis
My issue is that the recovery by the defense is too quick. They rotate over so fast that you can't even throw the pass to the open man fast enough to get him an open shot. Also the recovery when they go for pump fakes is ridiculously fast too. I'll pump fake and the man will jump for it and literally be able to jump a second time and block the shot when I try to shoot. How the physics of that work, I'm not sure. But I really would like to see slower recovery times and also like to see the CPU be more forgiving in what constitutes an open shot. I had this debate in another thread with Jeebs, and he disagrees with me (but I think it's primarily in our definitions of what constitutes a contested shot), but if you watch IRL, even mid level players like Nocioni or Stuckey or Salmons will knock down a shot with the defensive player running at them with a hand up. In 2k, that kind of defense seems to constitute a "well-contested shot" and they miss most of the time. I can't believe how many shots Rip Hamilton misses for me (or Charlie V for that matter) with the defender one step away and his hand up. IRL, that's an open shot for Rip and lots of other players. But in 2k that seems to be considered great D.

I changed my camera angle to nosebleed, with the height maxed..and that has helped me guage distance better, but I know what you mean.

What you described seems like it should be enough space to get a clean look, but I miss these types of shots all of the time.

I dont have much of a problem with pump fake recovery, the main thing that I see is the screener doesnt seem to set a solid enough screen to obstruct the defender, and the shooters dont look like they are coming off of them with much urgency.

It also doesnt seem like you can use footwork: Jab steps-side steps to create space.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
Pro

Pitfighter87's Arena

OVR: 10

What I like to do is take the point guard and drive in the lane and score a couple buckets or use iso motion moves to break down the defender and pop a jumper.After my player heats up the defense become weary. I then run isolation plays, pick and rolls and once i try and drive or i start dancin with the ball other defenders will leave there man open for the kick out or the quick pass and shoot. This starts to open up alot of things for my offense as other players start to heat up as well.You gotta be good on the sticks though!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
I changed my camera angle to nosebleed, with the height maxed..and that has helped me guage distance better, but I know what you mean.

What you described seems like it should be enough space to get a clean look, but I miss these types of shots all of the time.

I dont have much of a problem with pump fake recovery, the main thing that I see is the screener doesnt seem to set a solid enough screen to obstruct the defender, and the shooters dont look like they are coming off of them with much urgency.

It also doesnt seem like you can use footwork: Jab steps-side steps to create space.
Are you kidding me?....I need to post a a few reels then. I blow by the CPU all the time with Jab Moves.

But also one thing about the contested shots. Your camera angle can give you the wrong "look". Next time you see a contested shot go down. pause the game and go to replays.....And ask yourself...."Was it really contested?"

Just the other night I was banging J's in the CPU's mouth with Kevin Durant.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis
What are their SIT ratings?...Just asking...I don't know myself
Old 02-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Are you kidding me?....I need to post a a few reels then. I blow by the CPU all the time with Jab Moves.

But also one thing about the contested shots. Your camera angle can give you the wrong "look". Next time you see a contested shot go down. pause the game and go to replays.....And ask yourself...."Was it really contested?"

Just the other night I was banging J's in the CPU's mouth with Kevin Durant.

Im not talking about using the jab step to blow by people.

Im talking about using the jab step to create space. I dont see that happening at all

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »