Home

Developer Strategy to Stop Cheesers

This is a discussion on Developer Strategy to Stop Cheesers within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Developer Strategy to Stop Cheesers

So, I'm reading about cheesing tactics and noticed that some people think that cheesing is unstoppable. Then, the thought hits me that developers could easily cut cheating down to 0 quite easily. "How?", you ask.

Developers should just ask themselves why don't people use cheese strategies in the NBA. Why don't players in the NBA hound the inbound pass, try to steal all the time, or run as fast as possible all the time? I think if NBA 2k found a way to mimic real life, then cheesers would suffer the same fate as people who would try that in real life.

I suspect that in the NBA, people don't run around on the equivalent of turbo because they would tire very quickly, be no good for the majority of the game, and likely leave people on the opposing team open for shots.

I just think that if NBA 2k simulates real life, then cheesers will fail terribly at the game. The better the game gets, then cheesing will also fade away completely.

What do you think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Developer Strategy to Stop Cheesers

I think its nothin they can do. Its not them thats cheesing or making the game wack. Its the person playing it. And there will always be exploits to every game.

Play people u know or dont play online... it only hurts ranked matches it seems...

But what people call cheese I stopped alot of people tryin to use last year. So I think its a combination of the overly sim forgettin what it is to play against someone that just wants to win.

DETROIT!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 13

I posted my thoughts in a different thread concerning cheese (link). It's impossible for the developer to stop cheese. Even the slightest oversight or glitch can cause a problem big enough to ruin the integrity of the game. There is no way possible they can release the game with an ideal set of sliders that can stand the test of thousands of gamers.

If the devs provide the community with the proper tools the community can police themselves to a certain extent which will curtail cheese. That's what we had during the lobby age of online play, and that's why so many people want it back.

The lobby tools were being able to view a player's accurate V.i.p., view their disc% and view their feedback before deciding to play them. The matchmaking system as completely taken away those tools so now there is no consequence to having a cheese style of gameplay.

2k8 and the lobby system is a perfect example. There are some people who feel that 2k8 had clean gameplay user vs. user. That's because they were able to effectively filter who they played. Every year in 2k I play anyone and everyone. IMO 2k8 was straight veleeta right on par with 2k9, maybe even worse.

I was able to make a conscience choice to see the dark side of 2k8 by playing all the top users who knew much of the cheese tactics. Since they've taken the lobbies away there is no more choice. You are now forced to see the dark side of the game and all its flaws.

Last edited by oOausarOo; 09-21-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think one issue with this, is that a large population of sports gamers (mostly not the people that come to websites like this) only know about sports from watching Sportscenter and top 10. They want to see rediculous dunks, stuff like that, they don't want to see nice rotations and a solid bounce pass. A lot of the money 2K and any basketball game makes, comes from these people that want this style of game. As much as anyone can say "they should get NBA Jam" or "make an arcade game" 2K still wants there business. It is hard for them to make a balance of SIM versus this style without alienating either side.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 14

Cheese is all up to the User, man. We don't need artificial barriers limiting our freedom based on arbitrary lines of what is cheese and what is a legitimate action by the User. We should be free to play the way we want. The devs should keep focusing on replicating the NBA game by giving us the tools to experience a sim style game.

Its like if you want to drive a Ferrari to the grocery store, you should be able to if you choose to. If you want to drive it the way it was designed to perform at the race track, even better. I want to be able to drive it.

Just play with Sim users and you should be OK.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 6

I dont quite get exactly you are trying to say. In my opinion, they already have started to punish cheesers. Implementing certain things such as increased fatigue and dominating the ball with one player is a major killer right there. Now when it comes to certain moves like the spin dunk in the demo, then yes that is something the devs can adjust but it is also up to you too. If you do a spin move and dunk 5 plays in a row in real life, what are you going to stop it? You could have a weakside defender chase them off the dribble or have him play off his man and draw a charge, you could switch to a zone defense and clog the lane, etc. I have found that a lot of the time there is a counter for every move, so you just need to apply your real life tactics to the game. It's all user controlled, and like it or not...but most cheesers have the attitude that they are gonna keep pounding the move down your throat til you can stop it. You just gotta use your imagination, there is a counter for EVERY move. Granted, it is up to the devs to give us these counters as possibilities, which they have for the most part

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »