Home

The Difference between Exhibition and Season/Association

This is a discussion on The Difference between Exhibition and Season/Association within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50
The Difference between Exhibition and Season/Association

Hey guys, I know I haven't posted a lot about the game this year, but I am still playing it nearly daily. I've recently found a little more time to start playing again, as things have slowed down around the house. I'm playing on PC, and have tweaked the sliders to my liking while playing Exhibition to where my stats were excellent, and the game played perfect in my opinion. Due to the PC users have most of the Cyberfaces for the upcoming rookie class, I decided to go forth and start an Association, and have the custom draft class.

I start one up with the Grizzlies. First game was against the Hawks. As you read above, my sliders were providing perfect gameplay in exhibition mode. From the opening tip, using the same sliders, the game played totally different. It's like the Computer goes into Cheese mode, doing some terribly scripted things.

I was in awe coming into the Association at the way my games were playing out in Exhibition. So what did I do? I exited the game, went back into Exhibition, chose Hawks @ Grizzlies. Game played perfectly. Same Sliders, same everything.

Go back into Association, start up the game, and it's right back into Cheese mode for the CPU, and rendering totally different gameplay.

What gives? Do you all see this as well? If I could use my sliders and get the kind of gameplay in Association that I have in Exhibition, then I'd probably be set for quite some time with this game.

I don't want to have to get out a notepad and do a dynasty old school style, writing down my stats, ha.

Just wondering if you all see the same thing, or if there's something that's been discussed that I haven't seen yet. Maybe I need to tweak something?

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: The Difference between Exhibition and Season/Association

Hmm ... I've played this game a ton since release. Current rosters, classic rosters. NBA Today, MyPlayer, Jordan Challenge, Jordan: Creating a Legend and Association Mode. The only difference I notice is when going from NBA Today or Association to MyPlayer or the Jordan Modes. In the latter two, you can't adjust sliders and just have to choose your difficulty and Default or Sim playstyle.

I've played a bunch of NBA Today games and 20 games in my custom Association using the 1990-91 Los Angeles Lakers and I really don't notice a difference between those 2 game modes. The only thing I did in Association was to drop the Player Speed slider to 45, other than that, sliders are the same across the board for both modes.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

Interesting. I went back into Exhibition with my sliders, played a GREAT game, ended up losing by 4, but that's beside the point. It felt legit. Started back into association, same sliders, the ball was going through my players hands/bodies on blocks, etc, as if the ball was predetermined.

Went back out to the Association homepage, set sliders to Sim All-Star, and the game played beautifully. There were SEVERAL dunks in the game, but the game played a good game. I wonder if it's something within my file, or what the deal is. Maybe I was just supposed to lose to the Hawks, ha.

Interesting that you notice it in the other modes however though.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
Interesting. I went back into Exhibition with my sliders, played a GREAT game, ended up losing by 4, but that's beside the point. It felt legit. Started back into association, same sliders, the ball was going through my players hands/bodies on blocks, etc, as if the ball was predetermined.

Went back out to the Association homepage, set sliders to Sim All-Star, and the game played beautifully. There were SEVERAL dunks in the game, but the game played a good game. I wonder if it's something within my file, or what the deal is. Maybe I was just supposed to lose to the Hawks, ha.

Interesting that you notice it in the other modes however though.
I played All-Star/Sim for a long time. Eventually, I had to bump up the shooting sliders for myself and the CPU a couple of clicks to get the shooting percentages up, but otherwise yes, it plays really good.

And yeah, it could just be placebo for that 1 game. I've had games where my team (1990-91 Lakers) turn the ball over a ton, and they are usually very secure with the ball. I'd play at least 10 games and then see how drastic the differences are. I have a feelings things would even out over time.

I'm digging your avatar, btw. I need to set up an account on the 2K forums so I can access some of my screens and videos from 2K11.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

Thanks brotha, that dunk was one of those "Get up out of your seat" Dunks. I saw Blake, and thought, no way is Rudy gonna try to dunk it. But Rudy just exploded and elevated quicker than Blake could, and the result was just nasty.

One thing I've found playing with the Grizzlies, is that you don't want to be in front of Rudy or Sam Young, as either will rise up and throw it down on anyone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9

I bet things like player roles, player morale, progressive fatigue and team chemistry come into play in association mode. A few of my players are throwing fits, and for some reason it's impossible for me to hit a perfect release on my free throw attempts. It's gotta be team chemistry which is affected by the players morale. My team chemistry is at 64 percent, but fatigue is fine.

Try turning them off and see if an association game plays more like an exhibition game.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

I'll give that a try, but it's things like the ball going through my defenders hands on a block attempt, or through my torso to complete a pass that should have NO chance at completion.

I will give it a try though, because if that's all it is, then that would be great. But for the most part, it's just things that SHOULD NOT be happening, are happening.

I can accept losing, in fact I enjoy a good hard played game. That's why I was ecstatic with my sliders. Good advice though P-Dub, I'll give it a go.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »