Home

Why I play Off-ball

This is a discussion on Why I play Off-ball within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Rookie

Knighttime24's Arena

OVR: 3
Why I play Off-ball

My basketball always has 5 players on the court during any given possession; the other team also has the same numbers. Why would I handicap myself by merely controlling the player who is guarding the ballhandler? If I put all of my effort into guarding him, my cpu teammates never hesitate to allow offensive players without the ball to constantly get open, nor do they avoid rotating too slowly. I'm not one to constantly complain about AI not playing exactly like human players, so I just take my entire defense into my own hands. I switch between on-ball and off-ball given the situation. I will manually play the passing lanes to keep superstars from easily getting the ball. I will manually bring a second defender over to trap the ballhandler. I will bring my C out to the perimeter and show on pick and rolls. I will manually guard some ballhandlers to get the bonus to my shot contests. One thing that I will not do is handicap my ability to defend by staying locked onto the ballhandler every possession while my cpu teammates go easy on the other 4 professionals attacking my team's goal.

Please share your thoughts.

Finally bought BF3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why I play Off-ball

I agree for the most part. I like to control my center or power forward on defense, mainly so I can box out myself to get my own rebounds and shut down the paint. I play better defense with my bigs and its still kinda man to man because I'm not roaming around doubling everybody I'm just controlling the paint
Old 12-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
Rookie

I'm not sure where I stand. I play PG in real life. In game. I play PG only as well. As in real life, I'm defending the ball most of the time or at least once a possession. Once, the ball is passed, I stay as PG and I'm playing what is considered off ball defense.

I real life, no one plays on ball defense ALL THE TIME. It's impossible unless you are playing one on one.

Team is perfect in the aspect that it simulates keeping you honest on defense.

I understand your gripe about playing on ball/off ball defense.

There are guys who play STRICTLY on ball defense, meaning once you pass the ball, they switch to defend the ball as well. I respect that.

There are also guys who REFUSE to play on ball defense, meaning once you pass the ball to who they are designated to guard, the switch to someone else. i CANNOT respect that.

Then there are the guys who play zone and switch to attempt to steal EVERY pass. (I personally expose those guys as I run probably the most patient offense EVER lol.)

I'm happy 2K took out the defensive indicator in 2K11 so that complaint would dwindle down a bit.

Overall, everybody plays defense to what they think will put them in the best position to win. I do what I do and it works, AND I feel as if I'm beating my guy fair in square. Others feel differently.

It sucks that you can't control and make people play "the right way." But at the end of the day, especially in 2K12, it's a lot easier to differentiate the scrubs from the greats.

Realistically, everyone plays some on ball defense and off ball defense.
2K should separate those 2 ratings.
ex. Allen Iverson - Terrible on ball defender, EXCELLENT off ball defender
Can't think of any perimeter players that were great on ball defenders and bad off ball defenders...but I think you see my point
Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
MVP

TUSS11's Arena

OVR: 12

I play online so I can play another human being. If I wanted to be guarded by a CPU defender I would play offline. Now, 100% on-ball defense is impossible, but at least make an effort to guard the ball. There are more than enough defensive options to ensure that your AI teammates do what you want them to do. If your teammate is leaving a shooter open, increase your defensive pressure and select 'play tight' or 'deny ball' for that shooter.

Playing off-ball so you can rebound is a weak excuse. I can easily switch to my center when the shot goes up, or use a guard to box out their best offensive rebounder.

Last edited by TUSS11; 12-15-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
I play online so I can play another human being. If I wanted to be guarded by a CPU defender I would play offline. Now, 100% on-ball defense is impossible, but at least make an effort to guard the ball.
So how do you feel about a defender such as myself? I'll play strictly as the PG. Guard your PG and make him work...once you pass, I work to make sure your PG doesn't get the ball back, and I help my teammates when necessary. What's you opinion on that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Pro

Man, who cares who plays on ball defense or off ball defense. You played YOUR money for YOUR game so play how u want too.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
MVP

TUSS11's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswhozbak17
So how do you feel about a defender such as myself? I'll play strictly as the PG. Guard your PG and make him work...once you pass, I work to make sure your PG doesn't get the ball back, and I help my teammates when necessary. What's you opinion on that?
Well, if my PG is not involved in a play (say a pick-and-roll with my 2 and 4) then you're not part of the action. If you come over to help, then you're basically playing second fiddle to an AI teammate. Imagine if the AI was smart enough that you could play off-ball on offense while the CPU ball-handler broke down the defense. Does that seem fair?

I'm not saying that off-ball defense is bad; sometimes it's necessary. If I see that I'm about to get beat off the dribble and my help defender isn't in position, I'll switch to him to help then I'll switch back. This is just my opinion. There's no right or wrong way to play. I just have less respect for someone if their main strategy is playing off-ball.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 0

I'd rather play in modes that force you to stick to one man, like the Create a Legend mode and MyPlayer. It makes it so that I can be an individual on a team and not be all of the team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »