Home

Help defense!!!!

This is a discussion on Help defense!!!! within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Help defense!!!!

Somebody please help me before I punch a hold in the wall LOL. These Point Guards are unbelievable in this game. I playing with the Heat and Step Curry destroyed me. No matter what defense I was playing he scored at will. The CPU would call fouls on me when he drive to the goal and look like I would have a clean block. My question what setting in Coaches Profile should I set ? I play on Allstar because I master Pro.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Help defense!!!!

Don't worry so much about setting the amount of help defense in the coaching settings, worry about keeping your man in front of you at all times. It's very difficult on All-Star because the offensive players are so good but it's possible to somewhat stay in front of your man and force other players to score. If you can't keep your man out of the paint they are going to have a field day on you.

And also remember this is the NBA and there are going to be times when players are unguardable and the most you can hope for is to play as good of defense as you can and hope they miss. Hopefully they will miss more than they make and you can win the game. Hopefully...
Old 02-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Banned

thuglife74's Arena

OVR: 4

i play on all star and my coaches profile help defense is always 50. however, i do play with the help defense slider (in the slider menu) to 100. that slider changes the effectiveness of help D. this should be 100 by default imo because it's pretty stupid how some players just stand a guard is blowing right by everyone.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
Don't worry so much about setting the amount of help defense in the coaching settings, worry about keeping your man in front of you at all times. It's very difficult on All-Star because the offensive players are so good but it's possible to somewhat stay in front of your man and force other players to score. If you can't keep your man out of the paint they are going to have a field day on you.

And also remember this is the NBA and there are going to be times when players are unguardable and the most you can hope for is to play as good of defense as you can and hope they miss. Hopefully they will miss more than they make and you can win the game. Hopefully...
Only player I last checked that was unguardable was a you g Jordan who averaged 35+pts a game. No player in the modern nba is anywhere near Jordan's statue from an offensive standpoint...
I am glad I got the Buell- I love riding it, I love the oddball looks I get on the road- I love people asking "What IS that thing?" I love flying into a corner WAY too hot, scared spitless and sure I'll never hold it at this speed- and hearing the bike whisper "Sissy!"...
Old 02-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsfan1
Somebody please help me before I punch a hold in the wall LOL. These Point Guards are unbelievable in this game. I playing with the Heat and Step Curry destroyed me. No matter what defense I was playing he scored at will. The CPU would call fouls on me when he drive to the goal and look like I would have a clean block. My question what setting in Coaches Profile should I set ? I play on Allstar because I master Pro.
I feel your pain. GS is just one of those hard teams to deal with because of the two guard murder squad. You really have to pick your poison and figure out are you being picking apart in the paint or outside. Then you have to decide who to shut down. You aren't going to hold both guards down. Call your time out the moment you notice runs. I've learned it's crucial. Mix up your do on GS, play some zone but mix it up. Since you are playing with the heat POST UP. Make curry and Ellis work on D, there's your shot at getting them in some foul trouble. Hope this makes since.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaaaazuuuuup
Only player I last checked that was unguardable was a you g Jordan who averaged 35+pts a game. No player in the modern nba is anywhere near Jordan's statue from an offensive standpoint...
You don't have to be Michael Jordan to be unguardable. I've seen plenty of NBA games where offensive players have been unguardable. Have you ever watched Kobe play? Or Melo? Or Dwight or Amare or Joe Johnson or Paul Pierce or Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo etc etc etc. These guys on some nights can't be guarded. 2K12 does a good job of recreating that.

Some games all you can do is hope the opponent misses shots. You have to get lucky in the real NBA and you have to get lucky in 2K12 too. There are no Ron Artest lockdown defenders in the NBA anymore. And even Ron Artest in his prime got lit up by good scorers.

And average to poor defense will make any NBA player look good. Ben Wallace can and has scored double digit scoring games because of poor defense against him. He's also hit mid range jumpers, etc. The last guy on your bench is still a capable NBA player who can go off. Look at what Jeremy Lin just did for New York. Dude dropped 25 points and 7 assists and before that game he was the 12th man on the roster.

Some games you are going to lose no matter what you do. Like I said in the past there is no fool-proof way to win in the NBA. The talent is too great. So OP, if you struggle in a game, just play the best you can and if you lose, just move on to the next game. If you feel like you aren't good enough to hang with the game you can always drop your difficulty level down a notch as a last resort.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
You don't have to be Michael Jordan to be unguardable. I've seen plenty of NBA games where offensive players have been unguardable. Have you ever watched Kobe play? Or Melo? Or Dwight or Amare or Joe Johnson or Paul Pierce or Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo etc etc etc. These guys on some nights can't be guarded. 2K12 does a good job of recreating that.

Some games all you can do is hope the opponent misses shots. You have to get lucky in the real NBA and you have to get lucky in 2K12 too. There are no Ron Artest lockdown defenders in the NBA anymore. And even Ron Artest in his prime got lit up by good scorers.

And average to poor defense will make any NBA player look good. Ben Wallace can and has scored double digit scoring games because of poor defense against him. He's also hit mid range jumpers, etc. The last guy on your bench is still a capable NBA player who can go off. Look at what Jeremy Lin just did for New York. Dude dropped 25 points and 7 assists and before that game he was the 12th man on the roster.

Some games you are going to lose no matter what you do. Like I said in the past there is no fool-proof way to win in the NBA. The talent is too great. So OP, if you struggle in a game, just play the best you can and if you lose, just move on to the next game. If you feel like you aren't good enough to hang with the game you can always drop your difficulty level down a notch as a last resort.
Smh...you did nothing to help the original post other say you're typical solution, drop it down a level...
I am glad I got the Buell- I love riding it, I love the oddball looks I get on the road- I love people asking "What IS that thing?" I love flying into a corner WAY too hot, scared spitless and sure I'll never hold it at this speed- and hearing the bike whisper "Sissy!"...
Old 02-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15

Well your problem is that you can't stay with the ball handler, 3 quick tips

1.don't shove the left stick-meaning you should have a feathery touch on the left stick.

2. Use the new intense d features- use the left trigger to make small adjustments, this slows the player down but should be used to help stay with the ball handler. Right trigger and left trigger held allows you to move with speed compared to just LT this is used to cut the isomotions off and this is where you need that feathery touch on the LS. Use this against fast players like a Stephen curry

3. Use hands up instead of The Block button. If you can get a block or need to foul use the block button, other than those situations use the hands up feature. Up and unders, late shot clock shots, and post moves at times.

But don't punch the wall, it's not worth it at the end of the day. play something else if you need to. Oh I suggest using the sim world rosters it makes this game enjoyable, but these tips work with the default rosters and settings too.

Last edited by jersez; 02-07-2012 at 10:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »