Home

Big problem shooting 3's

This is a discussion on Big problem shooting 3's within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Big problem shooting 3's

Whenever i play online, the guys i play do a 1-3-1 zone, which obviously leaves my 3 point shooters open. The most frustrating thing in this game to me is missing open 3's with good players from that range. I miss just about every shot, even though i time all my shots perfectly and its honestly the most annoying thing because it ends up to screw me over. My opponent knocks down all their 3's and i can make 2 if im lucky. can somebody, anbody please help me out and give me advice, how you shoot? and tricks to do to become more accurate? i cant win unless i knock down my 3s.

i know about hot zones, and shot timing, but there is a big flaw because i cant seem to make any

Last edited by Mokmok; 03-27-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Big problem shooting 3's

Yeah I have the same problem. I play the Pacers and all those guys will just toss up brick after brick when left open in the 1-3-1. I thought it was just the team until I played against someone who was draining them with Granger and company. My release is sound (at least I always get "good shot release") but based on some of the guys who have just drilled bomb after bomb playing against me, I wonder if there is something I'm missing, like shooting in rhythm perhaps?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Rookie

sreckless's Arena

OVR: 4

As a Celtics fan/user I rely on the three-point shot quite a bit in my games. Even when I use other teams, I gravitate toward good 3-pt shooting teams like PHX, Milwaukee or Orlando. Partly because when I play real-life basketball I suck at long-range shooting, so I like to do it in the game. And partly because as Antoine Walker once said, when asked why he liked to shoot threes so much, is "because there are no fours."

Here's what I've learned, for what it's worth.

1. If you're looking at your shot in practice mode or offline, the "green" shot release means nothing on the higher difficulties. It's been this way for years and it's one of the things I wish the developers would change, or at least admit/explain. They tell you "get a green release" but on superstar/HoF you can throw bricks all over the gym while getting green releases.

You have to judge by your shot percentage and whether the ball swishes the net. That's the only way to tell that you really have a release mastered. And for me, it's something that requires continual practice.

2. Shooting "in rhythm" is a big part of the game now. A few years ago in this game, like 2K9 or 2k10, pretty much every jumpshot was the same timing. If you practiced enough you could literally shoot with your eyes closed.

But the last couple years, 2K has added a lot of subtle little animations. Sometimes your shooter's feet will be pointed the wrong way. Other times he'll catch the ball and juggle it for a second. I think sometimes the shooter is holding the ball at his hip, and sometimes at his chest. All these things affect the shot timing and you have to pay attention and be patient to shoot consistently.

3. Sometimes you're hot, sometimes you're not. I once used Carlos Delfino to hit 10 treys in a 20-min game against a 1-3-1 defense. I think Jared Dudley once hit 7 in a half. But sometimes I'll go 2-10 with Ray Allen. At that point it's time to watch some Netflix or go to bed.

But if you do manage to get proficient at three-point shooting, it really changes a lot of things about this game. You no longer have to fear the "cheese" of a 1-3-1 zone, and it's a great equalizer against the super-teams like Miami and OKC. Splash three quick three-pointers in a row and watch them go into panic mode. It's a beautiful thing.

Last edited by sreckless; 03-27-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
All Star

beast10's Arena

OVR: 36

1. Shoot the ball in player hotspots
2. Don't automatically shoot when you get the ball, wait like 2 seconds
Old 03-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Rookie

Thanks for taking time to comment everyone. Beast10 why

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast10
1. Shoot the ball in player hotspots
2. Don't automatically shoot when you get the ball, wait like 2 seconds
The 2 second thing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
All Star

beast10's Arena

OVR: 36

Because In real life do plays just receive the ball and then automatically shoot? No. So you have to get in 2k's version of setting up and then shoot. I've experienced this problem but I started waiting about a second and I made them much more.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Rookie

Gatorfan Frank's Arena

A big thing that I think helps is adjusting your coach profile to match the style of play you want to run. If your opponent is running the 1-3-1 and you want to punish him by drilling 3's, turn down the Run Plays slider. I turn it down to like 15-20 (just in case you want to run a play here and there). If you're trying to drive and kick to open shooters with your Run Plays slider turned up high, you're gonna have a bad time.

Also, turn up the 3-pointer slider under coach profile to like 80-90.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Rookie

sreckless's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan Frank
A big thing that I think helps is adjusting your coach profile to match the style of play you want to run. If your opponent is running the 1-3-1 and you want to punish him by drilling 3's, turn down the Run Plays slider. I turn it down to like 15-20 (just in case you want to run a play here and there). If you're trying to drive and kick to open shooters with your Run Plays slider turned up high, you're gonna have a bad time.

Also, turn up the 3-pointer slider under coach profile to like 80-90.

Good advice. And actually you don't even need to go into the menus and change the profiles. You can quickly do this in-game by hitting left d-pad and then choosing "space floor."

Instead of running and cutting and setting picks for each other, your players will run out to the corners and stay there. This is the first thing I do against a 1-3-1 zone.

Last edited by sreckless; 03-28-2012 at 09:38 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »