Home

My Career Mode AKA My player mode is terribly flawed.

This is a discussion on My Career Mode AKA My player mode is terribly flawed. within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
My Career Mode AKA My player mode is terribly flawed.

In this mode 2k's lack of knowledge about basketball really shows. Without mentioning how it's idiotic not to let you adjust slider settings or the way the game tries to create fake difficulty in this mode there are a plethora of other problems.

First off, the teammate grading system is trash. The grading system shows that most of the 2k guys have most likely never played competitive bball in their life. There's so much wrong with it, it shouldn't even exist.

Bad call for a pass is just stupid and something that happens randomly. Excessive call for the pass shouldn't even exist, players call for the ball ALL THE TIME, in real life there is no such thing as that in real life. Coming from someone who is currently averaging a B+ with my guy(it'll probably go up to an A soon) i can say that the grading system is unrealistically harsh and often times doesn't make sense.

Allow a score off a fastbreak? Sorry i couldn't teleport to the end of the other end of the court. I love getting penalized for a so called "bad pass" that's an assist, and not getting credit for an assist. That's just broken. Allow offensive rebound shouldn't exist either. Sometimes the ball just bounces a certain way, if you're trying to get a rebound you shouldn't get penalized, especially as a guard. Also how the hell is it a turnover on my part when i pass to an open guy and one of 2k's atrocious "bobble the ball like an idiot for no reason" animations kicks in and my guy drops the ball? Allowing an inside pass is also stupid, anyone who's played bball knows one of the first thing you're taught is to stay between your man and the basket, it's not a huge deal if they get the ball inside as long as you're there to defend. Overall it's just terrible and fundamentally unsound.

Also the who you're guarding icon seems to have trouble keeping up or knowing who you're supposed to guard at times, I love it when it switches to a center randomly on a fast break(i'm a 6'2 athletic PG) and then penalizes me allowing him to get a rebound and score. That's trash and not acceptable.

The rotations in this mode(and in general) have always had issues. Why do they insist on putting me in at SG all the time when i'm clearly a point guard and play better at that position? I'm playing WAAY better than jrue holiday and he's 6'4 compared to my 6'2 175 pound point guard. Why the hell would I be playing SG instead of him? That's terrible logic. It makes no sense.

All of these problems and i haven't even talked about one of the biggest issue. THE TEAMMATE AI IS TERRIBLE. Everyone knows this but it hasn't been addressed or even mentioned by 2k.

Why do my teammates love to pass up open shots i create for them to take a contested shot? This constantly happens. Or how about bynum constantly taking post fadeaways and refusing to pass out of any of them when i'm open? Why do my teammates often move BEHIND their man or into bad position when i'm getting doubled? Why does the other team not act nearly as stupid?(well i actually know why, it's a lazy way to make the game challenging but that's another issue). All of my teammates act like javale mcgee. I have good teammate chemistry but often times when i call for the ball when i'm wide open they refuse to pass, but when i'm covered they love to pass to me. They also love to cut behind their man as soon as i make a pass.

I think we can all agree that this mode is seriously seriously flawed. It's been that way since it was first added and it hasn't changed since(yeah they've added some bells and whistles but the core issues remain). This mode has sooo much potential and i think it's about time for a change. 2k seriously needs to fix the problems holding this mode back. It could be soo much better if it was fixed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: My Career Mode AKA My player mode is terribly flawed.

I can't agree with you 100% on everything (allowing an inside pass is a bad thing no matter which way you look at it), but you have a point on certain things like Rotations, allowing fast breaks, and substitution patterns. I especially don't like when I commit 4 fouls in the 2nd quarter and the coach still won't take me out of the game! I don't know if they changed that because people were complaining about not being able to put up their stats or reach their goals because of playing time/lack there of.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamangatang2k5
I can't agree with you 100% on everything (allowing an inside pass is a bad thing no matter which way you look at it), but you have a point on certain things like Rotations, allowing fast breaks, and substitution patterns. I especially don't like when I commit 4 fouls in the 2nd quarter and the coach still won't take me out of the game! I don't know if they changed that because people were complaining about not being able to put up their stats or reach their goals because of playing time/lack there of.
I honestly think they need to just scrap the grade system and have it based off of stats per minute or making big plays. I know what you mean about needing to be subbed out, i've never committed that many fouls but there are times where my guy is exhausted in the 4th and we're up by like 20 with 3 minutes left. Why am i still in? lol.

Also allowing an inside pass isn't' the best thing, but it's really not that serious or bad, trust me. Think of all the inside passes that happen in the NBA. You can't deflect every pass. And if you're right there between your man and the basket, it's really not a huge deal, based off of experience.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Banned

Yeah they need to get rid of the bad call, excessive call, etc. They also need to get rid of touch passing (or atleast make Call for ball a different button) because you don't know if they are going to pass it to you when you're wide open and when they eventually do pass it to you, you end up passing it away (sometimes straight into a CPU player) because sometimes you have to jack the button.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
In this mode 2k's lack of knowledge about basketball really shows.
I heard the Nets are looking for a coach...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

I think a post consisting of constructive criticism would have been much better.

Starting the first three paragraphs with statements like:
Quote:
In this mode 2k's lack of knowledge about basketball really shows
is really counter-productive and immediately turns away those criticized from reading more.

Let's take one example here:
Quote:
Bad call for a pass is just stupid and something that happens randomly.
The OP will be happy to note that the "Bad Call for a Pass" is only given after pressing the button that calls for a pass. There is nothing random about it really.

I really understand frustration, but to get his message to the 2k team and the OS community the OP should have began his post with the last three sentences he made and then perhaps gone forward.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
I think a post consisting of constructive criticism would have been much better.

Starting the first three paragraphs with statements like: is really counter-productive and immediately turns away those criticized from reading more.

Let's take one example here: The OP will be happy to note that the "Bad Call for a Pass" is only given after pressing the button that calls for a pass. There is nothing random about it really.

I really understand frustration, but to get his message to the 2k team and the OS community the OP should have began his post with the last three sentences he made and then perhaps gone forward.
Actually it is constructive criticism. And putting that at the beginning is not a huge deal, the chances of 2k actually reading it are slim, this is more of something that i'm bringing to the attention of the community. Trying to highlight why this needs to be focused on instead of pointless bells and whistles like "more legends, get crew mode back!, we need better shoes" etc.

Also i'm aware that the bad call for a pass happens when you press the button, it's the "bad pass" that i'm talking about happens randomly. I think you misunderstood. As i've said, i've had perfect passes that lead to points be called bad passes and not got credited with an assist. That's pretty broken.

Last edited by SPRINGS03; 01-28-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 16

The only problem in this mode is having to play 41 mins each game and some passes that are clear assists don't get counted

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »