Home

"Player Roles" Needs to be Seriously Reconsidered for the Future

This is a discussion on "Player Roles" Needs to be Seriously Reconsidered for the Future within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
Rookie

HarlemYankee's Arena

OVR: 0
"Player Roles" Needs to be Seriously Reconsidered for the Future

Hey folks... I really need to get this off my chest, while hopefully catching the attention of a dev or someone who may be actually able to help. (Although it's more just to vent, because nobody will actually pay attention to this)

Player roles have quickly become my biggest pet peeve of this game. Year after year, the career mode makes it seem as if every single player in the entire NBA is a crybaby about their minutes.. How is it possible that Chauncey Billups (rated a 77 still for some ungodly reason), can be throwing a fit about his role of being a "Sixth Man" behind a much better, young point guard? How is it possible that Corey Brewer, rated 74, can be so mad about his role as a "Role Player" behind LEBRON FRICKIN JAMES that he loses 10 points to his overall rating? This stuff makes no sense. It's as if every player in the league rated a 70 or higher expects to be playing at least 20 minutes a game. It is so frustrating!!!

Another example - I just signed Tyrus Thomas in my Lakers franchise. He "happily accepted" a 1 year/$1+ million deal with the notion of being a "Bench Warmer" and within a week lost 5 points off of his overall rating and his "agent" was saying that I was the "worst GM in the history of the league" because Tyrus Freakin' Thomas wasn't playing more than 5 minutes. It's comical.

I love the roles in the game, but I feel like they could be done WAY better.

/Rant
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: "Player Roles" Needs to be Seriously Reconsidered for the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrellevator
Hey folks... I really need to get this off my chest, while hopefully catching the attention of a dev or someone who may be actually able to help. (Although it's more just to vent, because nobody will actually pay attention to this)

Player roles have quickly become my biggest pet peeve of this game. Year after year, the career mode makes it seem as if every single player in the entire NBA is a crybaby about their minutes.. How is it possible that Chauncey Billups (rated a 77 still for some ungodly reason), can be throwing a fit about his role of being a "Sixth Man" behind a much better, young point guard? How is it possible that Corey Brewer, rated 74, can be so mad about his role as a "Role Player" behind LEBRON FRICKIN JAMES that he loses 10 points to his overall rating? This stuff makes no sense. It's as if every player in the league rated a 70 or higher expects to be playing at least 20 minutes a game. It is so frustrating!!!

Another example - I just signed Tyrus Thomas in my Lakers franchise. He "happily accepted" a 1 year/$1+ million deal with the notion of being a "Bench Warmer" and within a week lost 5 points off of his overall rating and his "agent" was saying that I was the "worst GM in the history of the league" because Tyrus Freakin' Thomas wasn't playing more than 5 minutes. It's comical.

I love the roles in the game, but I feel like they could be done WAY better.

/Rant
There's a great thread in the next gen board about this very topic that has people complaining about this exact issue. Actually has some 2K employees in there. I'd recommend checking it out as it's a really good read. I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying. Player roles are a huge black mark on Association mode.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

I agree with you OP.

Another example: In real life Manu Ginobili is a 6th man, but if you give him that role in your Spurs Association he freaks out because his OVR is too high for that role.

It annoys me that I have to turn player roles off just because OVR is the primary factor that determines a player's role.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
MVP

Jumpman14's Arena

OVR: 1

Totally agree with you op. Player roles were a nice idea in the beginning. I remember Andrew Bynum was upset at getting 33 minutes a night smh.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
Rookie

PaPZ187's Arena

OVR: 2

Man I'll have to keep an eye out for this issue as I'm only 10 games or so into my franchise with the Knicks.

Threattomature, do you have a link to the thread on the Next Gen forum? I looked through but couldn't find it

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
Rookie

psyberkayos's Arena

This has been bugging me for I don't know how many years... I wish it'd get fixed one day.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 5

Here's a link to the thread in the next gen forum.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...next-year.html
Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
Rookie

HarlemYankee's Arena

That other thread is definitely a good read, but it seems to just completely ignore CG... There's no way I'm wasting my money on Next Gen if silly little problems like this (that we can at least turn off) are unescapable.

I wish they would put some thought into CG.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »