Home

Association vs AI

This is a discussion on Association vs AI within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
Banned

throckmeisterz's Arena

OVR: 2
Association vs AI

OK, so let me start by saying that I finally bought 2k13 a few weeks ago; I've been playing 2k12 since it came out. It took me some time to get used to the new controls (I expected that). However, now that I can finally get my players to do what I want them to on offense, I'm realizing that that wasn't the only reason I was getting destroyed by the AI when I first got the game.

It's the defense. It's just nonexistent. The AI scores at will, no matter what. Every time. If they miss a shot, they get as many offensive rebounds as it takes. I have tried absurd combinations of defensive masters, even creating a team of Irving, George, Leonard, Ibaka, and Howard, and yet AI Scola scores 10 points on me in the first quarter before I ragequit.

Right before I bought 2k13, I was playing association in 2k12 on HOF with rosters which required no bogus trades to obtain. However, on allstar difficulty in 2k13, the only team I've managed to win a single game with against the AI included MJ, Olajuwon, Durant, and several other starter-caliber current players. I'm sure there are some exploits which I haven't yet discovered which would allow me to score at will, but come the f on! My concern is defense. Even with MJ, Olajuwon, and Durant, I had to shoot over 70% to barely squeak by with a win.

The AI makes every (and I mean every) single runner; they shoot and make an absurd number of 3s, and they grab every single offensive rebound, even when my players are in better position. I've even created a specialized team designed to grab rebounds, and I still got outrebounded (Fareid SF, Love PF, and Howard C).

Furthermore, every single time I try an on ball steal, it's a reach in foul. Granted, the on ball steal worked far too often in 2k12, but it shouldn't be a foul every single time I attempt it. I have even adjusted the user sliders so that all defensive sliders were 99, and I still couldn't attempt an on ball steal without a foul call.

Honestly, what is supposed to be the fun of having to score 100 points in 5 min quarters in order to have a chance against the AI?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Association vs AI

The defense is pretty freaking bad in this game. I don't mind when a superstar player makes a few shots and gets hot. I just hate it when average to below average players start hitting fade aways and contested jumpers on me that they have no business making.

I play on Superstar and have had games with scores in the 80's and 90's and i only play 5 and 6 minute quarters. This shouldn't even be possible.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
MVP

Melbournelad's Arena

OVR: 6

Just use custom roster and sliders, you won't have this problem.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Defense can be a mystery. But it's possible to play better defense. The place to start though is on offense usually with shot selection. Bad shot selection is the number one problem on the higher levels. Then work on turnovers. Eliminating as much of that as you can reduces a lot of the easy baskets and makes the CPU play against all five of your guys. The main thing is just staying in front of your man.

Obviously you can adjust sliders, rosters and so on, but it's not required to have success - especially if you are using some of the legends. I've held the CPU under a 100 on 12 minute quarters. My scores range from 105 to 135 a game hof sim sliders.

Here's some video on hall of fame sim so you can see what it looks like and here's a thread where I talk about playing hof sim slider games and post box scores so you can see shooting percentages, etc.

Just keep working on it. Good luck!

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...challenge.html

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 06-07-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Rookie

sreckless's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by throckmeisterz
OK, so let me start by saying that I finally bought 2k13 a few weeks ago
Let me explain it this way: some people play the game more or less every day for 8, 10, or 12 months and expect it to deliver a robust challenge throughout the entire year. Kindly, 2K Sports has built a game that is up to that task.

Unfortunately, that means playing the game for a few weeks will not give you anywhere near the experience necessary to beat the CPU consistently on the higher difficulties. You don't get a perfect crossover dribble by spending a few weeks in the gym, and you can't play 2K perfectly after a couple weeks either.

The AI is not infallible nor is defense nonexistent. You just need more practice. There are lots of threads here that can point you in the right direction.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »