Home

2K Please STOP changing the controls year by year

This is a discussion on 2K Please STOP changing the controls year by year within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
MVP

vtcha's Arena

OVR: 4
2K Please STOP changing the controls year by year

There has been no consistency the past few years. We are all basically annoyed and would prefer if you just stuck with one control scheme consistently (see FIFA).

Every year I have noticed how the developers are mentioning "oh this year the controls are way better than the last, etc, etc" (see below comments).

2K14
"The idea going into 13 was trying to build what we actually shipped in 14," Wang explained.NBA 2K13 used a left trigger modifier to differentiate the shooting/ballhandling controls on the right stick. This year, they figured it out, making flick or tap commands on the stick applicable to ballhandling moves, and holding the stick in a certain direction correspondent to shooting.
"After an entire year of iteration and trying to solve the problems of putting two major mechanics on one stick without modifiers, it wasn't ready [for NBA 2K13] so we took the plan B route," Wang added. "14['s controls] is what we really wanted it to be."

2K13
Rob Jones was speaking specifically about developer Visual Concepts' decision to shift control of dribble moves to the right analog stick — a major change from which the studio isn't looking back — but the sentiment applies to sports video games in general. NBA 2K13's new scheme is also much more conceptually intuitive: think of it as controlling your feet with the left stick and your hands with the right, similar to the skate/stick setup in EA Sports' NHL series. In addition, the Control Stick unifies certain previously disparate suites of dribble moves, making them easier to understand and learn. The commands for moves in the post, for example, are now identical to those used when facing up a defender; it's a change that makes sense and makes you wonder why things haven't worked this way until now.

2K12
In NBA2K12, we wanted the user to feel more connected to the system so we broke the size ups up into much shorter sequences, and in most cases just one dribble. So you can now manually rock the ball from side to side by holding the Dribble/Shot modifier and moving the left thumbstick left, right, left, right, etc. Moving the left stick away from the hoop will cause your guy to quickly retreat, toward the ball hand will have him do a quick inside out dribble, toward the offhand will perform a crossover, and toward the hoop will be a more aggressive attacking type dribble. It’s a bit difficult to describe but when you get your hands on it, the difference is night and day. Instead of watching a sequence play out by itself, the user now has the ability to chain together ankle-breaking combos however he wants.

I know it's still early and this is just an assumption, but I just have a strong feeling 2K is going to change the controls AGAIN in 2K15. Personally I felt that the controls in 2K10, 11 & 12 were great because they were consistent even though there were a few minor modifications.

Last edited by vtcha; 10-10-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
Rookie

thedoob's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: 2K Please STOP changing the controls year by year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcha
There has been no consistency the past few years. We are all basically annoyed and would prefer if you just stuck with one control scheme consistently (see FIFA).

Every year I have noticed how the developers are mentioning "oh this year the controls are way better than the last, etc, etc" (see below comments).

2K14
"The idea going into 13 was trying to build what we actually shipped in 14," Wang explained.NBA 2K13 used a left trigger modifier to differentiate the shooting/ballhandling controls on the right stick. This year, they figured it out, making flick or tap commands on the stick applicable to ballhandling moves, and holding the stick in a certain direction correspondent to shooting.
"After an entire year of iteration and trying to solve the problems of putting two major mechanics on one stick without modifiers, it wasn't ready [for NBA 2K13] so we took the plan B route," Wang added. "14['s controls] is what we really wanted it to be."

2K13
Rob Jones was speaking specifically about developer Visual Concepts' decision to shift control of dribble moves to the right analog stick — a major change from which the studio isn't looking back — but the sentiment applies to sports video games in general. NBA 2K13's new scheme is also much more conceptually intuitive: think of it as controlling your feet with the left stick and your hands with the right, similar to the skate/stick setup in EA Sports' NHL series. In addition, the Control Stick unifies certain previously disparate suites of dribble moves, making them easier to understand and learn. The commands for moves in the post, for example, are now identical to those used when facing up a defender; it's a change that makes sense and makes you wonder why things haven't worked this way until now.

2K12
In NBA2K12, we wanted the user to feel more connected to the system so we broke the size ups up into much shorter sequences, and in most cases just one dribble. So you can now manually rock the ball from side to side by holding the Dribble/Shot modifier and moving the left thumbstick left, right, left, right, etc. Moving the left stick away from the hoop will cause your guy to quickly retreat, toward the ball hand will have him do a quick inside out dribble, toward the offhand will perform a crossover, and toward the hoop will be a more aggressive attacking type dribble. It’s a bit difficult to describe but when you get your hands on it, the difference is night and day. Instead of watching a sequence play out by itself, the user now has the ability to chain together ankle-breaking combos however he wants.

I know it's still early and this is just an assumption, but I just have a strong feeling 2K is going to change the controls AGAIN in 2K15. Personally I felt that the controls in 2K10, 11 & 12 were great because they were consistent even though there were a few minor modifications.
Just tell them to stop improving the game...
Old 10-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I would prefer next year in 2K15, they would go back to 2K13's controls, with the left trigger as the shot modifier. Makes much sense than it being the "flashy pass" indicator.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

I don't see how it's a big deal if it's for the better or gives more options. Only takes a few hours of adjusting.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

At least an option to use L2 as a modifier for shots would be nice, one that doesn't break ally-oops and such.

Flashy passing is just useless, I used it like my first 2 games and then never again because it was so unpredictable and got me turnovers.

On a fast break and want to give a flashy pass backwards to a trailing LeBron? NOPE, game decides it'll instead make you throw a no-look over the head pass all the way to the other side of the court to a teammate who isn't in any position to score or wasn't even over the back court yet, resulting in a turnover.

Too much of stuff like that happens whenever I'd try it, so I basically never use it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #6
Rookie

Cedrik's Arena

OVR: 1

My only problem is I have to get out of the habit of pressing LB to call for a screen.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #7
MVP

vtcha's Arena

OVR: 4

Though I have very little knowledge on what goes on behind the scenes, does it really take more than a whole year to develop the mechanics of the controls .. seriously .. a whole year?? to develop NOT the gameplay or the presentation, but the controls ...?

On a more lighter note, would be pretty funny if they actually did spend a large chunk of the time on controls whilst neglecting the issues with gameplay, Association, etc.

Last edited by vtcha; 10-10-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:14 AM   #8
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcha

Speak for yourself. I'm loving these new controls.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »