Home

Does Live 10 recognize mismatches?

This is a discussion on Does Live 10 recognize mismatches? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21
Does Live 10 recognize mismatches?

Hello all! I am going to be picking up this game or the 'other' game tomorrow evening. My wife is going to be out of town for the weekend so that means that I will be able to dig in to some NBA basketball! I was really all set to get NBA 2k10, but patch # 2 has really scarred me off. So now I am back looking in these forums just to make sure I make the right decision on which NBA game I am going to commit to.

One of the most important factors to me in an NBA game is how it recognizes mismatches for both USER and the CPU. And I am talking more than just the mismatches that involve a guard vs a center....I am talking about a quicker guard vs a slower guard.....or Kobe vs a much weaker defender (Will it be easy for me to dominate a game with Kobe when someone like JJ Redick is guarding me?). And does the CPU make any adjustments to these mismatches? Either double Kobe, or switch to have someone else guard him?

When the CPU has the ball, will they try to take advantage of any mismatches? I played the demo, and it didn't seem that the CPU always took advantage when I was controlling Jameer Nelson and he got caught guarding Gasol or Odom a couple of times down the court. I played NCAA 10 alot (before finally giving up on it) and in that game it seemed that the CPU never took advantage of mismatches because it was so set on running a play (unless there was someone who was just completely wide open). Is it like that in live too?

I don't want to turn this into a comparison thread, but I just wanted to mention that something I always enjoyed about playing NBA2K was looking for mismatches on the offensive end. And also the CPU making adjustments if I kept going to that mismatch. I also liked how the CPU would look for mismatches when they were on offense as well. If one of my guards ever got caught guarding a big man, the CPU would almost ALWAYS dump it down low to take advantage. Does Live 10 recognize mismatches like this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Does Live 10 recognize mismatches?

Hey Krob, I cant tell you really about mismatches because I just got back into playing it so I have not noticed mismatches at this point. I can tell you that I had 2k for 2 days and traded it in for NCAA10. I really like Live but I also like NCAA10. The flow with Live is much better than 2k in my opinion. I really think Live is a year away from being the outright champion of bb video games because the other still has a lot of fans but Live is on the its way. I hope you get the info you need, also you might try renting first to help with your decision. One other thing I like about live is being able to edit ratings like agility,vertical 3 point likely hood etc. and you can do it globaly for the whole team instead of having to do each and every player. The reason I say this is agility, vertical and 3 pointers are to hight in this game. I am working on some edits that I think will make dynasty mode playable not perfect but playable.

Last edited by travis72; 01-28-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Rookie

jhartman01's Arena

OVR: 3

K_rob11, I believe that the CPU does take advantage of mismatches. For example, I decided to play the FIBA World Championships and was matched up against Spain. I was the US. I had smaller Chris Paul guarding Jose Calderon and the CPU isolated Calderon a lot and let him attack Paul. If he couldn't get by Paul then he would use his height to shoot over him. Also, the CPU would iso with Pau Gasol depending on who was guarding him. I had Carmelo at PF and Gasol went to the block every time with Carmelo on him. Once I put Carlos Boozer in at PF then they moved Gasol out to the perimeter more.

Not sure how much that helps but it was noticeable for me and something that stood out in my mind after reading your post.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25

Recognise mismatches?

Umm...absolutely not.

I stuck a 5 foot PG on Shaq for a whole half once whilst testing strength ratings and the CPU never went to Shaq.

The CPU is pretty much set in to whatever play they are running...

In fact, you can leave good shooters WIDE open and the CPU often ignores them if it's already running a play.

K_Rob...just get the game and expect to enjoy the controls (superb), playcalling (excellent) and the spacing etc. Those things are all great.

If you are expecting really good CPU AI...you'll be dissapointed.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_rob11

When the CPU has the ball, will they try to take advantage of any mismatches? I played the demo, and it didn't seem that the CPU always took advantage when I was controlling Jameer Nelson and he got caught guarding Gasol or Odom a couple of times down the court. I played NCAA 10 alot (before finally giving up on it) and in that game it seemed that the CPU never took advantage of mismatches because it was so set on running a play (unless there was someone who was just completely wide open). Is it like that in live too?

It's the same engine man........so you should know what to expect.

LIVE does have passing out of the post by bigs...so that's a big plus over NCAA.

But all the other good / bad things are pretty much the exact same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

Probably one of the biggest problems with this game's AI, along with the lack of transition game.

I REALLY hope Mike is looking into the extremely scripted AI and it's lack of court awareness, in regards to recognising mismatches and such.

Live10's CPU AI is subpar pretty much across the board. It's laughable at times how oblivious the CPU is to what's going on around the floor, when sets are being run.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

I would have to confirm what Court_Vision said. I have made the observation to myself many times when I have inadvertantly switched a little onto a big, and I am going "Oh Shoot," just expecting to be taken to the woodshed, but the computer will go ahead and run what it was running, not taking advantage of the obvious advantage.

With that being said, I still have a lot of fun playing Live because of its flow.

I play 2k occasionally, but I can't comment on that game. I would have to check.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »