Home

Top 5 Things EA’s NBA 13 Title Needs

This is a discussion on Top 5 Things EA’s NBA 13 Title Needs within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
Pro

22cedric's Arena

OVR: 11
Top 5 Things EA’s NBA 13 Title Needs

Competition is something that the sports simulation market needs. Even if one title is thought of as being “superior” to the other, competition continues to push the envelope for each individual game. EA SPORTS has been out of the game for the past few years with their NBA title after cancelling it, but they’re set to release the new game this year.
No name has been announced, and it’s a pretty safe bet that “Elite” won’t be used since it was associated with the cancelled game. While NBA 2K has been a strong series, it definitely has its holes. The hiatus that EA has been on allows them to approach the market with a fresh slate in an attempt to capture a portion of the fans back. Don’t expect them to grab a huge share, because this year will be all about setting a great foundation.
Below, we’ve compiled our top five things we want to see in EA SPORTS’ NBA 13 basketball simulation title.
5. Deep Franchise Mode - The game has been off of the market for awhile, but it needs to have a deep franchise mode. We don’t expect EA SPORTS to completely compete with 2K Sports in terms of the amount of modes, but a deep franchise mode is what the game needs. Allowing players to progress through a ton of seasons, the ability to edit incoming rookies or draft classes, training players mid-season, great trade logic, etc. We don’t expect it, but an on franchise mode would be a huge attraction for basketball fans. Even without the franchise being online between multiple users, depth will be one of the most important factors to the mode.

4. Enhanced Post-Play – If you happened to play NBA Live 10, the series was finally started to go in the right direction with post-play. While it wasn’t exactly how fans want it to be, the signs of it being great in the future were definitely there. Simple controls to start, but with tons of complex options are the way to go. 2K Sports has the common problem of post players missing some of the easiest shots in the post. While part of the factor needs to be on the individuals ratings, good moves and being open after those good moves need to be weighted as well.

3. Animations & Signature Styles – One of the biggest noticeable pieces that 2K has had over EA in their sports titles would be the animations and signature styles. While EA had put together a solid amount of signature shots in NBA Live 10, it was still nowhere near the amount featured in the NBA 2K series. Not only shots but dribbling, dunking, and other specific athletic animations need to be talent specific as well. Derrick Rose needs to feel different than Lebron James in the upcoming basketball simulation from EA SPORTS.
2. Online Play – The last few entries in the NBA Live series did one thing extremely well: online play. Whether it was the team up mode or just online play in general, matches were lag free and incredibly easy to setup. Players were easily able to setup their teams in the Team-Up lobby and compete in both ranked or unranked matches. NBA Live also featured clubs, which while basic, were still pretty entertaining as long as you had a good amount of friends with you. Even if EA just brought the same online features to their NBA simulation title this year, it’d be welcomed as 2K Sports continues to struggle with online performance.
1. Gameplay – Even though it should be the most important factor in any sports title, it’ll be even more important than ever with EA’s NBA 13 simulation title. From good spacing and movement by the AI teammates to great controls that make the title easy to play, gameplay has to come first. NBA Live, as a series, was heavily dominated by the point guards in the game. Even an average player could dominate a game with Chris Duhon in a game of NBA Live. It’s important to allow the great players to shine on offense, but still give gamers the ability to shut someone down on defense.
The NBA is an offensive league, but a few great defensive players are still around. Putting Thabo Sefalosha on Kobe Bryant should have a bigger effect on how Kobe plays than if you put Lazar Hayward. Thabo is quickly becoming known as one of the better defensive players in the league, and having him on the opposing team’s best player needs to benefit you in some shape or form. We could easily put a thousand additional words here along with gameplay, but that’s just because it is easily the most important area to focus on the new game.
What do you hope to see out of the upcoming basketball simulation title from EA SPORTS? Do you agree or disagree with our top five list?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Top 5 Things EA’s NBA 13 Title Needs

6 . a deep my player mode with good team mate a.i NBA & NCAA Together in one game, with licensed college players, bring your my player though college into the nba. would rule

Last edited by colin_mouse; 02-21-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

DNA. The game needs DNA. DNA was awesome. Both player and team DNA is needed.

Also, dynamically updated rosters via DNA is also needed. This made it so you could play an online game using the same exact roster that your team just used in real life the night before. So for example, if there were injuries, or a shake-up in your starting line-up, that was reflected in the game IMMEDIATELY. It was very dynamic and up to date at all times. Even D-league call-ups were in the game immediately and ready to use. The rosters in Live 10 at all times were extremely up to date thanks to DNA.

Also, individual DNA of each individual game is needed. Meaning if Kobe dropped 40 points last night, and I boot up Live 10 and play an online game against my friend using the Lakers, Kobe should have increased percentages using the DNA from his previous game. They did this in Live 10 and it was beautiful. It made for a very engaging NBA experience. The game was always up to date.

In my opinion DNA was the greatest thing Live 10 did, and made that game completely awesome. I hope they bring it back for the Elite series. I will buy that game in a heartbeat if they do.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

I wouldnt be surprised if we didnt see some sort of ultimate team with NBA Live. Seems every other EA Sports title has ultimate team and I think it would be a sweet addition to this future release.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
I wouldnt be surprised if we didnt see some sort of ultimate team with NBA Live. Seems every other EA Sports title has ultimate team and I think it would be a sweet addition to this future release.
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 8

Defiantly NBA Franchise.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 1

A My Player mode is a must for me.