Home

Live 14 impressions

This is a discussion on Live 14 impressions within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
MVP

nick_sr's Arena

OVR: 4
Live 14 impressions

http://gamerhub.tv/articles/nba-live...ns/2013/11/06/

NBA Live 14 Xbox One Hands On Impressions

PreviewsAlex MartinetNovember 6, 2013 9:00 AM

Player spacing is a crucial element to ball movement in real-life action. Until now, basketball games haven’t captured the speed of the game, player movement in the paint, or the need to call plays. This is the bulletin board point for NBA Live 14. It doesn’t plan on impressing visually, they just wants to reintroduce themselves into the market, and provide competition. This installment in the proud basketball video game franchise is the right step forward for the franchise. This year is about establishing an identity to work off of for the series to build from.
It’s time to roll the clocks back a bit. In 2013, NBA Live 13 was canceled a month before its release date. It was the second time in three years that Electronic Arts canceled the basketball series, and after its poor showing at E3 2012 it wasn’t a surprise. After the cancelation the publisher went back to the white board with the series. “We started with a clean slate. Everything from NBA Live 13 is completely gone,” said Sean O'Brien, producer on NBA Live 14, told GamerHub.tv. While I didn’t believe that right away, it became clear that this NBA Live experience made the right changes during that extra year of development time.
During my demo session I got to control the Phoenix Suns as they went up against the Cleveland Cavaliers. This match-up doesn’t have hold marquee talent on either side, but it allowed me test out the game’s physic engine in real-time. Cleveland Cavaliers point guard Kyle Irving is a gifted athlete who can speed up and down the court, while having the ability to dish out flashy passes to his teammates. A player like Suns point guard Gorgan Dragic has the defensive capability to defend Irving one-on-one. This is where play calling comes into play.

By setting a pick and roll, the defense will converge on your movement in the paint allowing you to dish to the open space on the floor to your corner shooters for a three pointer. If you want to work the clock, you have a number of options like working the post with your power forward or center. The game moves at a fluid rhythm at a pace that allowed me to play the way I wanted to play.
NBA Live 14 is a reboot for the series, but it takes inspiration from other EA titles, and still has leftover core ideas from NBA Live 10. Stat rosters will update to reflect the NBA season that is currently going on. This will calculate player tendencies to closely present them in video game form. Staple modes like NBA Player, Franchise mode, Ultimate Team, NBA Moments, and online multiplayer will be included.
On the presentation front, NBA Live 14 won’t impress you, but is doable for a first-year entry into a console life cycle. Player body sizes tend to blend a center and point shooting guard together, but it’s a very minor complaint. Jeff Van Gundy, Jalen Rose and Mike Breen are the commentators in NBA Live 14 and it really gives the game a solid base to work off of. I am going to have to see more from them to see if the trio can work. I wouldn’t worry about the graphics because that isn’t NBA Live’s focus. It’s attempting to deliver on strong fundamental gameplay.
Competition is good to have in any industry. It helps drive quality among rivals and consumers reap the rewards of better products. NBA Live 14 could be a good or bad game, but it will be a step forward for the basketball game market to see another face introduced. I am excited to see what the future holds for next gen basketball if it looks this good already. NBA Live 14 launches for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on November 19.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Live 14 impressions

Seemed like a fair unbiased impression.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
MVP

bateman11's Arena

OVR: 14

Pretty casual and vague insight. Reviewer really didn't seem like he knew much about basketball.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Pro

bowld's Arena

OVR: 9

From all of the preview's I have read and the interviews I have heard it really seems like this years game is a WIP. Everybody keeps talking about how its a step in the right direction but isnt going to blow you away. Unless the demo changes my mind I think I will go with 2k this year and let Live get another dev cycle under its belt before purchasing
Old 11-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman11
Pretty casual and vague insight. Reviewer really didn't seem like he knew much about basketball.
lol i was thinking the same. I paused when he said goran dragic could guard kyrie irving
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

Like a couple guys have said in the past if this game is an upgraded and polished version of Live 10 I'll definitely be giving it a look. I loved the direction EA was going then.

The AI behind the game also seems to be heading in the right direction also. I loved some of the things I was hearing from Gallagher about the specific defenses.

Honestly if the game provides solid gameplay in regards to how the AI defends and scores this game will get some play time from me.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
By setting a pick and roll, the defense will converge on your movement in the paint allowing you to dish to the open space on the floor to your corner shooters for a three pointer
If this is true, I'll be very happy with Live 14.

Let's see how true it works.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 11-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Just started!

OVR: 0

It's stupid how he mentions the visuals etc looking poor. I expect the UI to be rather good and the graphics look decent to me but he is probably comparing to 2K.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »