Home

Noob advice

This is a discussion on Noob advice within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2015, 01:19 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Noob advice

So I'm one of the (probably) many who picked up this game on the recent Xbox sale for dirt cheap.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to basketball games, I'm struggling in a lot of areas. I played basketball at school and watched a lot of NBA in the past so I know most of the terms.

If you could help me out by giving me some noob advice I'd be really grateful.

Defence - what should I be 'doing' most of the time? Now I usually switch to the player nearest the ball carrier, then stand in front of them pulling LT, occasionally trying to steal. It's pretty easy for them to breeze past me for the easy lay-up. What should I do when I get posted up? Apart from jumping to block, I don't know.

Offence - I'm really having trouble breaking teams down. Calling for the pick sometimes works. I can't really beat my defender. What are some of the go-to dribbling moves?
Also, how do I work space to make open shots?

That's all I can think of for now, thanks for your help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
Rookie

mitsurugi_78's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Noob advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates81
So I'm one of the (probably) many who picked up this game on the recent Xbox sale for dirt cheap.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to basketball games, I'm struggling in a lot of areas. I played basketball at school and watched a lot of NBA in the past so I know most of the terms.

If you could help me out by giving me some noob advice I'd be really grateful.

Defence - what should I be 'doing' most of the time? Now I usually switch to the player nearest the ball carrier, then stand in front of them pulling LT, occasionally trying to steal. It's pretty easy for them to breeze past me for the easy lay-up. What should I do when I get posted up? Apart from jumping to block, I don't know.

Offence - I'm really having trouble breaking teams down. Calling for the pick sometimes works. I can't really beat my defender. What are some of the go-to dribbling moves?
Also, how do I work space to make open shots?

That's all I can think of for now, thanks for your help.

LT for the on ball defense is good, if they're blowing by you you may be getting too close to them...for the faster guys you'll need to give a little room so you can cut them off on the drive attempts. You can also use the right stick to put your hands up to content shots instead of jumping...will give less fouls and can still make the guy miss. Use the double team to help out in the paint...hold circle or B depending on what console you playing on.

Make sure to use the defensive calls...double tapping on the d-pad in different directions will change your strategy(right is pressure shooters, up is pack the paint, etc..)

Breaking down the defenders can be tough at times against the CPU...the behind the back dribble seems to work best for me...the hesitation to the crossover can also work.

Use the motion to get guys open and hit them with the pass for the spot up shooting.(tapping L1 or the Left Bumper will do this.)
Old 02-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Thanks man, I'll try to implement them all!
The tutorial is cool but so bare bones. There are about 50 other buttons that aren't covered!
Old 02-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 0

For offense I suggest picking a team with a stretch 4. Ten go to coach settings and change their offense to 4 out 1 in. Then run pick and rolls often, move the ball and you should eventually get a good shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
PC/PS4 Gamer

Rob. D's Arena

OVR: 14

If you jump online.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
Rookie

seanhazz1's Arena

OVR: 5

I would add to learn how to create space, and don't get caught up into "i gotta win" at first, it forms bad habits. It will also help you learn some of the tendencies of the CPU, and help play to your team's strengths and your opponents weaknesses. You can look at the players individually to figure this out, but has helped me in stopping the CPU from doing X and forcing him to do Y, with Y being anything not a drive to the hoop/3 point shot.

Personally I usually take one of the worst teams to start (which my 76ers are) to learn basic and advanced D tactics, and then move up to the better teams where playing D becomes much easier. It can be frustrating, but its practice. Don't be afraid to play physical D. You will get to a point where you rarely call a double-team for any reason other than to bring a help defender to the paint to help rebound.
NBA 2k18
Madden 18
Absolver
STO
TWITCH Stream
BEAM Stream

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »