Home

The "why I love NCAA 14 three years later" thread

This is a discussion on The "why I love NCAA 14 three years later" thread within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #49
MVP

DavidTheGreat20's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: The "why I love NCAA 14 three years later" thread

This game always comes back to me. As an avid college football fan, I absolutely love it.

I first bought NCAA 14 last spring after watching the annual Michigan spring game, and I played a season, winning the Natty against The U. After that, I went on to play other games, because it soon got boring.

When the school year started in late August, I hadn't played it in forever. Once the college football season started, I went back to playing it and played a year of a new dynasty (which I have posted in the football dynasty forum).

I continued to play it through December, and all that changed when I got a PS4 for Christmas. I would grind all day in Madden, and NCAA was now an afterthought.

Fast forward to just last week, and I had that itch to play again. After updating the roster as usual, I went ahead and played some test games. Needless to say, I'm back on it.

To me, what separated Dynasty from CFM is the amount of customization. We can edit players to our liking. Custom schedules. We can recruit our own players, the rosters can look very different in a matter of a couple of years, and the thrill of beating a hated rival is simply awesome. Not only that, but Dynasty makes me feel more "connected" to the game with the in-game studio updates and such. In Madden, we don't even feel connected to the rest of the league. So much for "Connected" Franchise.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #50
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

David,

I will second your last point. As I was playing Madden this weekend, I was trying to understand why I get a few seasons in then give up and start over. As I was plugging through my latest project with the Falcons I keep thinking about how I wanted a completely new team next season. I had a really good team but the thrill of building a team had gone. I had built my team up to only be stuck with my core for multiple seasons thanks to contracts. The only way to move them was trade or cut them.

I stopped, put down the control, and sit back to ponder the sole reason I have and will always love the NCAA series more then any other sports game. I enjoyed the thrill of turn over. As a former high school football coach I should hate that. I recall year after year sitting in a office in the field house wondering what I will do on offense because my key players would all be playing FBS football in a few weeks and I was stuck with yet another batch of kids not ready to play our level of football.

Playing the NCAA series has been rewarding in that aspect for me. I am always looking for that next group that was going to build on what the group before them had done. Much like my real life job, I too would have to move beyond the past to continue what we were doing. That is lost on Madden's attempt at a franchise mode. I know who is going to hit the free agent market and the draft is a joke.

Overall NCAA, with some good settings/sliders, is near perfect for my liking.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:21 PM   #51
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTheGreat20
This game always comes back to me. As an avid college football fan, I absolutely love it.

I first bought NCAA 14 last spring after watching the annual Michigan spring game, and I played a season, winning the Natty against The U. After that, I went on to play other games, because it soon got boring.

When the school year started in late August, I hadn't played it in forever. Once the college football season started, I went back to playing it and played a year of a new dynasty (which I have posted in the football dynasty forum).

I continued to play it through December, and all that changed when I got a PS4 for Christmas. I would grind all day in Madden, and NCAA was now an afterthought.

Fast forward to just last week, and I had that itch to play again. After updating the roster as usual, I went ahead and played some test games. Needless to say, I'm back on it.

To me, what separated Dynasty from CFM is the amount of customization. We can edit players to our liking. Custom schedules. We can recruit our own players, the rosters can look very different in a matter of a couple of years, and the thrill of beating a hated rival is simply awesome. Not only that, but Dynasty makes me feel more "connected" to the game with the in-game studio updates and such. In Madden, we don't even feel connected to the rest of the league. So much for "Connected" Franchise.
I'm with you on the NCAA over Madden preference. Madden's franchise is so boring, but it doesn't have to be just because the NCAA game is a bit more changing year-to-year. The reality is it is boring because those Ultimate team modes get all the attention (due to the income, of course).

Even though NCAA's dynasty mode isn't all that deep, it has a LOT more going on compared to Madden. I really wish we could exploit the better power of the new consoles and/or PC and get a new NCAA game; I don't think Madden will ever be what we'd want it to be in the franchise department.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2016, 06:31 AM   #52

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

I've always found that with Madden, yes the lack of player turnover hurts its replayability tremendously but also I found it boring once all the other teams began to lose their real life counterparts' identities. By that I mean once Tom Brady leaves the Patriots, they're no longer the Patriots. Once Drew Brees signs with Washington, the Saints are no longer the Saints. Then once fake players start playing alongside our real life heroes, it gets even less immersive.

With NCAA, I'd venture to guess that most people picking up the sticks on the default roster already haven't heard of at least 90% of the players in the game outside of their own favorite team or the handful of elite NFL prospects. So the effect of team identity isn't tied to specific players, but rather certain playbook styles, and fight songs, and iconic stadiums.

In turn, when rosters turnover via recruiting, the effect of USC no longer being USC or Florida St. no longer being Florida St. isn't there.

Because of all this, the "imagination factor" of NCAA is leaps and bounds greater than Madden. In NCAA's dynasty mode, I feel like I am actually coaching a team, however in Madden's franchise mode, I feel like I am merely playing a football video game.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU
Old 05-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 1

The biggest problem I've found with NCAA is I can't lose anymore. Even on Heisman, even with tweaked sliders, the computer simply can't beat me. I've had to change the way I play, recruit drop back statue pocket passers and even then I just end up pounding the rock to oblivion. I can only lose to the CPU if I intentionally make myself lose. My QB/RB will always win the Heisman, and it doesn't really matter what my roster looks like because as soon as I get any speed it's over. This makes rebuilding 1-star teams kind of a bore too. And it sucks because I love this game.

It's a weird gripe but weirdly it takes away from the fun of the game. In contrast when I play college hoops 2k8 the computer mauls me (admittedly because i'm not very good) but it makes for interesting game play. The national champion isn't a foregone conclusion.

I haven't figured out a solution yet.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak nako
The biggest problem I've found with NCAA is I can't lose anymore. Even on Heisman, even with tweaked sliders, the computer simply can't beat me. I've had to change the way I play, recruit drop back statue pocket passers and even then I just end up pounding the rock to oblivion. I can only lose to the CPU if I intentionally make myself lose. My QB/RB will always win the Heisman, and it doesn't really matter what my roster looks like because as soon as I get any speed it's over. This makes rebuilding 1-star teams kind of a bore too. And it sucks because I love this game.

It's a weird gripe but weirdly it takes away from the fun of the game. In contrast when I play college hoops 2k8 the computer mauls me (admittedly because i'm not very good) but it makes for interesting game play. The national champion isn't a foregone conclusion.

Use tough recruiting rules.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #55
MVP

mjavon's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

Part of the problem on-the-field for me was how predictable CPU playcalling was. In a 3rd and long situation, the CPU is all but guaranteed to run four verts, a draw, or an HB slip screen. What I did to remedy this, is to remove all of those plays from the CPU's playbook, and make them use that. It makes a huge difference.

Offensively, the running game can be ridiculously easy even with run.bkocking at 0, so one way around that is using player lock on the QB during run plays.

I also supersim all special teams plays so there is some added variety there. It's just about the only way to get missed field goal, block, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #56
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

Try turning fatigue off, it saved the game for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »