Home

salary cap questions

This is a discussion on salary cap questions within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:53 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
salary cap questions

Recently I super-simmed the Atlanta Falcons to a Super Bowl win after starting in the pre-season. However right after I won the Super Bowl, I was abruptly fired because I had too many salary cap penalties. I really don't know how the salary cap works so I was hoping someone could explain it to me. All I know is not to exceed it obviously. But how do I do that? For every player that wanted to re-negotiate his contract I just gave him whatever offer he wanted. I did that through the entire season. Should I not have done that? I didn't trade anyone nor did I cut anyone from my team outside of whom the GM suggested. Also, what role do incentives play on the salary cap?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: salary cap questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb851
Recently I super-simmed the Atlanta Falcons to a Super Bowl win after starting in the pre-season. However right after I won the Super Bowl, I was abruptly fired because I had too many salary cap penalties. I really don't know how the salary cap works so I was hoping someone could explain it to me. All I know is not to exceed it obviously. But how do I do that? For every player that wanted to re-negotiate his contract I just gave him whatever offer he wanted. I did that through the entire season. Should I not have done that? I didn't trade anyone nor did I cut anyone from my team outside of whom the GM suggested. Also, what role do incentives play on the salary cap?
Ok, it is always best to give rookie players Offer 1. Offer 1 will usually avoid incentives and keeps down any signing bonuses. RFAs will usually accept a contract with no bonus, so don't give them any more. A good guideline as far as extending players is give them a signing bonus if they have a overall over 85; otherwise turn them down.

You may want to use the strategy I mentioned earlier in another thread. As far as veterans, try and keep it as close to Offer 1 as you can. You will have to give veterans a signing bonus and possibly incentives, but try to stick to performance based-incentives. I don't mind giving a veteran incentives for performance, but stay away from start 16 game incentives unless the player is a backup.

20 million in cap penalties is usually all you can accrue in 1 year, and you should get a warning about being fired. If you cut 1 more player after the warning with a bonus, you will be fired. Try only to cut players with no bonus if you can, but all contracts past the rookie one will have bonuses, so just be careful. Incentives will count as aplayers salary if they are met, so be careful on handing them out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »