Home

NEW VIDEOS FOR NHL 2K9 AT

This is a discussion on NEW VIDEOS FOR NHL 2K9 AT within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28
NEW VIDEOS FOR NHL 2K9 AT

www.ign.com I'm unable to view them so please post impressions.www.ign.com
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

Last edited by NINJAK2; 08-07-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: NEW VIDEOS FOR NHL 2K9 AT

The videos didn't do much for me...defense still seems too check-happy. The sounds effects sound really off to me, and the announcers are still mute-worthy.

For a game "built from the ground up", it sure looks like 2k4/5/6/7/8 to me.

Last edited by Flyermania; 08-11-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Goalie control sounds awful! What is so hard about making 1 button activates goalie another button makes the save. they did it in NHL 94 on SNES for Christ's sake!! Whats this vision cone bull****?!! text below

August 7, 2008 -******** language=JavaScript src="http://ads.ign.com/advertisers/DartRichMedia_1_03/DartRichMedia_1_03.js"> Until last year, 2K Sports had been the undisputed king of hockey games. But with NHL 08, longtime rival Electronic Arts took the crown away from 2K. With development on NHL 2K9 moving to its Marin studio and a dedication to simplify the bloated control scheme, 2K is hoping to return to prominence with this year's iteration.

The biggest change from previous years is a simplification of the controls. Don't freak out. Simplification doesn't mean that anything has been dumbed down. In the past, players had to use the shoulder buttons and triggers as modifiers, creating an overly complex system. Gone is the old and in are three different control options: Classic, Pro Stick Evolution and Hybrid. Classic is for beginners and focuses mainly on the face buttons for controlling the stick and shots. Pro Stick Evolution takes a bite out of the competition with (most of) the controls relegated to the thumbsticks and triggers. Hybrid is perhaps the best option as it puts an emphasis on the Right Thumbstick for puck control, but also allows for face-button control. This way you can choose on the fly how best to control your skater and stick.

Because development on NHL 2K9 has moved in house, the team is now able to freely share resources with the NBA team. So expect a lot of the slick presentation elements of the NBA 2K series to be incorporated into NHL 2K9. Along with an experience that is closer to that of watching a game on TV, there are some other nice touches. The camera shakes on a wicked check and there's more of a studio presence in between periods.

More impressive is the attention to detail come playoff time. If you play through a season and make it into the playoffs, you'll witness the famed tradition of the playoff beard. Here's the crazy part: 2K researched how each player grows a beard. You'll see accurate representations of length, thickness and speed of growth. For those players who've never been to the playoffs, 2K made educated guesses. On top of this, there's a special surprise for those skilled enough to claim the Stanley Cup.

On ice, 2K wants to create an experience that remains authentic, but is also accessible. The first goal is to make NHL 2K9 fun. That doesn't mean the sim elements are gone. In fact, NHL 2K9 plays as much like a realistic simulation as last year, but little touches have been added to give it a bit of punch. That would include the previously mentioned shaking camera. Veterans of the NHL 2K series will also find that the default Pro difficulty is considerably easier than before. The opponent AI makes mistakes, doesn't always take advantage of breakaway possibilities, and generally takes it a bit easier on you. Crank the difficulty up, however, and things get considerably more challenging.

Gameplay in general has been slowed just a tad from last year. Certainly it feels as if you are on ice this time around as momentum plays a noticeable part in gameplay. This has its negatives too, as I found it harder to cut quickly on ice and some may find the slower movement to be sluggish. But player movements are more true to hockey now -- it would just be nice to be able to have turbo give a true boost to your speed.

Shootouts have also seen turn to a friendlier scheme. When on offense, shootouts proceed as you would expect. You make your way down the ice, hoping to deke the goalie and get on into the net. It's friggin' tough. When you're the goalie, things are quite different.

Rather than normal goalie controls, your task is managing your goalie's line of sight. You need to keep the goalie's green vision cone aimed at the puck as it moves across the ice. The goalie will move and adjust on his own. When the opponent shoots, you need to hit the block button to throw up a glove or drop to your knees to stop the shot. Time it right and you'll successfully defend the goal. If you use a great goalie, this is a very easy task. In fact, you may never need to adjust the vision cone at all. Lesser goalies will find defense in the shootout a real chore.

For those who want a bit more fun with their hockey, 2K added a Zamboni mode between periods. If you choose to drive the Zamboni, you'll be given three minutes to clean up as much ice as possible. The controls are simple -- just gas and break on the triggers -- but it's a nice break from hockey. You can also play against a friend, competing to see who can clean 50% of the rink first. This leads to a Zamboni derby, as the two of you bash into one another, trying to prove who is king of the rink.

Online leagues are back, but now feature 6-on-6 hockey. That's right -- everyone can play a position online, creating a true online game without any AI. Online leagues also include a new website where players can upload saved replays. No longer do your great online feats need to remain just word-of-mouth.

The new control scheme is a welcome change to a series hoping to regain its swagger. We'll see if that's enough when NHL 2K9 arrive in stores on September 9.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

i thought the videos looked pretty good.
I hate that slapshot noise though.
as long as the controls are the same as nhl 09 this year, Im pretty sure I'll get both games
Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
The videos didn't do much for me...defense still seems to check-happy. The sounds effects sound really off to me, and the announcers are still mute-worthy.

For a game "built from the ground up", it sure looks like 2k4/5/6/7/8 to me.
Yeah,but it seems mostly the user doing the checking if I'm not mistaken.Also,we'll just have to wait how sliders affect the gameplay this way.I must admit I'm somewhat optimistic about this game now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 47

I thought the skating looked better.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 47

Yeah I am impressed. The skating engine looks great and the puck physics look real good. I love the presentation too. When they score a goal the jumbo tron said goal too. Plus Drew and Randy sound real good to me. I will get this game. They really did a lot of the things I wanted.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Yeah I am impressed. The skating engine looks great and the puck physics look real good. I love the presentation too. When they score a goal the jumbo tron said goal too. Plus Drew and Randy sound real good to me. I will get this game. They really did a lot of the things I wanted.
Yeah,I must say,if sliders are effective on this one and help keep the checking even more toned down and improve the goalies,I'll most likely be picking this up myself.The controls schemes sound nice,the game looks better,sounds better,basically all you could really ask for out of VC in their first year at the helm.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »