Home

Need help understanding MLB Power Pros 2008

This is a discussion on Need help understanding MLB Power Pros 2008 within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Need help understanding MLB Power Pros 2008

I'm trying to figure out how to play this thing, and it's a bit of a task for someone who's never played a Baseball game before... and dont' know a lot about the actual sport. I've gotten a decent grasp on the controls and can do "ok" in an exibition game. But...

I've tried success mode 3 times, and got fired every time, and some things just don't make since.

1) When I was learning to pitch, I set the controls to expert. In success mode, I can't find this option. It's like the game mechanics are preset and you just have to deal with it. How do I change it?

2) During the first year, I always have the coach tell me there's trade offer for me to go up to AAA. He tells me to think about it and let him know if I want to go. I see no option to take advantage of this, and a few weeks later, he tells me that since I didn't make up my mind, the offer is gone. How do I tell him I accept?

3) At the end of the first season, I always get fired, even though I train as much as possible, do great in my limited portions of play, and always pass the scout's "test" at the end. What does the game look for to not fire you? Stats? Attributes? I don't seem to have failed anything, yet I get fired each time.

4) My one time I created a Center fieder, I got to bat a couple of times per game, but I NEVER got to play center field. I don't understand why.

There's so much I love about this game, but I just don't understand how a lot of it works, and what the game is looking for to be considered successful. And yes... I've read the manual : )

Thanks for any help you guys can give!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Need help understanding MLB Power Pros 2008

1- not sure

2-This might contains spoilers so I'll use the spoilers tag
Spoiler

3-It's hard to pass to be promoted, so you'll have to do really good in the games, there is a place where you can see your scouts evaluation and if you get past the clear mark you'll get promoted at the end of the season.

4-You don't play defense in success mode or my life mode.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 8

The main thing for Success Mode is to do well in games, and when training to do so whereever the coach is present. Raising your Coach Eval and Scout Eval is key to moving up in that mode.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaNaphryz
The main thing for Success Mode is to do well in games, and when training to do so whereever the coach is present. Raising your Coach Eval and Scout Eval is key to moving up in that mode.
One other thing - don't forget about those week 4 training bonuses. If you have enough vitality for 2 (or even 3) training sessions w/o risking injury, you can (and sometimes should) let week 3 (or even 2 and 3) pass, build up your carryover points, and then train 2 or 3 times on week 4.

Training is 80% of it, but there are some important events that occur during free time that can be a big help to your attributes (and wallet). Explore them. You can always start over or, if you're cheesy like me, exit and revert to a convenient save point before the "bad decision."
Old 08-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Thanks for the help! I finally managed to make it to the majors.

I kind of wish there was a way to explore more of the storyline options though. I felt like I was always following a strict formula to get the scout's interest up, and didn't have time to "play around." I mean... there's girls to get to know and stuffs!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Last year a bunch of people worked together to figure out the full storyline (or something close to it) of success mode. I have no idea if they'll do it again, but their website might be worth a bookmark just in case.
http://www.mlbppworld.com/wiki/index...itle=Main_Page

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »