Home

MLB Power Pros 2008: How Many of You Are Still Playing It?

This is a discussion on MLB Power Pros 2008: How Many of You Are Still Playing It? within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
MLB Power Pros 2008: How Many of You Are Still Playing It?

Just wondering how popular this game really is in the community. I bought it when it first came out, played it a bit but didn't have much time and then got a PS3 and it was has been the Show 2010 since it came out.

i started playing PP2008 again a few weeks ago and have not been able to put it down. This is one of the most underated games ever.

I simmed to the last 20 games of the year and I am in a pennant race that is down to the wire. Can't wait to hopefully win the division and go nuts in the off season.

Anyone else?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: MLB Power Pros 2008: How Many of You Are Still Playing It?

I'm still playing both the original and 2008. These games hold up over time.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

I still love to play it. I don't play it every single day right now, but I usually go through phases with this game.

I'll play it, enjoy it a ton and start trying to do the impossibly task of updating rosters. Usually I can get a few teams done (always get the NL Central done because my favorites Reds and Cubs are in there), but I get bored of all the editing and give up. Then I play exhibtions with the updated rosters for a little, then play with the original rosters for a little after that. After I tire of those two, I move onto my expansion team, which I love. Or I play with my success mode team in which I hand crafted every player in success mode, and made it a challenge to win games.

This game has definitely held up over time for me, I still love it. Right now I only play it every few days, but when I start the phases described above, it's the only game in my ps2 for a long time.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Rookie

The realism is great. If i could make a few changes, I would have the cpu pitchers throw more balls and focus more on the pitcher/batter matchup like in MLB The Show. But other than that, the game is so realistic as it is.

Whenever I play it, I wish PYS would one day come stateside because when I look at PYS, I essentially see a more "mature" Power Pros.

The 2K Series should just drop what they have now, and publish an MLB PYS like they did with Power Pros and make it their 2K game.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyditos
The realism is great. If i could make a few changes, I would have the cpu pitchers throw more balls and focus more on the pitcher/batter matchup like in MLB The Show. But other than that, the game is so realistic as it is.
IMO this could easily have been remedied by the developers shrinking the strike zone. It is absolutely huge in this game, and if it would be shrunken (is that a word? lol) a little to the correct size there would be many more balls thrown and I'd have no big complaints about the game anymore. Unfortunately I don't know if we'll ever see another release of the american MLB version again. I'll continue to enjoy this game though, despite it's faults.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke776
IMO this could easily have been remedied by the developers shrinking the strike zone. It is absolutely huge in this game, and if it would be shrunken (is that a word? lol) a little to the correct size there would be many more balls thrown and I'd have no big complaints about the game anymore. Unfortunately I don't know if we'll ever see another release of the american MLB version again. I'll continue to enjoy this game though, despite it's faults.
Well said. I always thought the strike zone was big as well, especially with such short players!

I think it's safe to say we'll never get another MLB Power Pros so at least this one holds up even with old rosters (I'm looking at you Gary Sheffield on the Tigers).
Old 04-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

I got the game a couple of months ago and I'm finally learning how to create a good Success Mode player to take to MLB Life. I've played a few Play Now games, but hopefully I'll start a franchise soon.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

after reading this thread, decided to play the game again after have not done so for a few months... if you ever want a good pitcher, get Aaron Cook... he always seems to throw 1 hitters with 20+ strikeouts for me all the time..

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »