Home

Considering OOTP for the first time... Questions

This is a discussion on Considering OOTP for the first time... Questions within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Considering OOTP for the first time... Questions

I've been an avid baseball game fan for a long time and love the MLB 13 The Show series but I often find myself not wanting to repeatedly purchase a game from the same series year after year. I bought both MLB 12 and 13 and don't really have a deep desire to get 14 this year for the PS3.

I know there is the new RBI Baseball that could be an option too but this OOTP really intrigues me. I will be honest, I had heard of OOTP before recently but hadn't really given the game much thought. I've never played it before. Now it seems like a good idea. I love realism, I 'm not in love with customization but it can be really cool and I'm good with not physically playing out the games via pushing buttons but rather just managing. It seems like OOTP could be right up my alley.

There are a few things that pop up though and make me question purchasing OOTP. I personally have a hard time convincing myself to play a game for the PC when I already have purchased a gaming system, like I'm letting the system go to waste, maybe that's just a pet peeve of mine. So to me that's an issue. Also, its just a new series I'm unfamiliar with and am not entirely sure I will like. I have a few questions that I'm sure you fine people could help me with.

Is it possible to still get OOTP 13 or 14 and not pay full price so that I can first try out the series before playing full?
Does the game come in disc form or is it something I would download as a program on my PC?
Is there anything I'd have to consider in terms of PC capabilities or would a standard run of the mill computer be able to run the game just fine?
For those of you that play it, what are the drawbacks? What don't you like about OOTP?
In terms of doing fictional or historical leagues is it necessary to do any "modding" to the game or is it really enjoyable to play a fictional/historical league with the game the way it is as its shipped? I'm not really into the technicalities of working a PC like that.
How time consuming is the game? Does it ever become a chore to play?

Thanks for the help in advance, and sorry about the wall of text, figured giving background info might be helpful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
dsk
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Considering OOTP for the first time... Questions

If you love sport sims you should like OOTP. It's deep and you can play with fictional, current or historical teams / leagues. If memory serves me correctly most historical teams are included without a mod.

I bought mine via download.

As for computer specs and available veresions and pricing check their website.

I have a short attention span so I play it in small doses as text based sims can put me to sleep at times.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

I love OOTP...I really do.
I play it quite a bit for the GM portion of the game.
It's top notch in sheer options and the amount of control you have over everything. You can edit anything as you go along(MODS MUST BE APPLIED BEFORE YOU START A FRANCHISE HOWEVER)
-Historical replay is easy and complete(and included)

However I have to say that there are some problems that persist.
Trading is hit and miss.....the difficulties seem like all or nothing to me. The trade negotiations make it better and easier...but it even on hard(not the top level for difficulty)....teams are either still easily fleeced or only want your best/youngest/cheapest player for mid-level players.
Also if you want to start as just a minor league manager...get ready to have to deal with the CPU GM making move after move after move...constant shifting and it gets a bit annoying.
The final and to me the biggest drawback is the visuals....or lack thereof.
I just can't play too long without graphics any longer. Back in the day it could be my only game....but I find myself just wanting to play The Show to manage the games WITH the visuals.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 01-31-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
Banned

dingleberryfinn's Arena

OVR: 7

I don't know if it's still available but back around last June or July they had a free download of OOTP 08, on their website.
I like using it to get speed ratings for long since retired players to put into the Show CAPs.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

I know for a fact there are some older OOTP's that you can download for free. If you just want to try one of them out to get the basic feel for it.

If your a big stats buff than OOTP is the perfect game for you. I very much like the concept of What if's which makes OOTP perfect for me. You can download mods that allow you to include some of the older Negro League players. It gives you a chance to see how guys like Paige and Gibson would do if they were able to play back then.

Also some of the totals are quite shocking especially when you do a sim for a long period of time. Willie Mays might go down with a career ending injury in his 3rd year of his career. Mickey Mantle might end up breaking the Home Run record. The possibilities are endless with this game.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thanks for the info guys!

If I were to do a historical league, the MLB Draft as we know it didn't start til June of 1965, if I were to start in say... 1950, is there still a draft in the game? or the old school way of scouting and signing players?

I browsed the website yesterday a little and found old versions to download but couldn't find prices on them, just might need to do a little more investigating on my end. I also found a demo I might check out.

In your guys opinion though, is it REALLY worth it to get the bright shiny new version? Are the differences all that dramatic year to year? Would it even behoove me to wait a couple months for OOTP 15? What's your opinions?

Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:42 AM   #7
Old School

MachoMyers's Arena

OVR: 20

I highly HIGHLY recommend doing a Fictional game, even if it is with real teams. I was against it for YEARS but finally gave it a chance and is the best way to play, at least in my own mind. The feeling of attachment when you see players that you have followed from their start in the minors all the way to the bigs is great. I enjoy fictional teams as well and have spent days and days tinkering with the league, uniforms, stadiums, etc so be careful of that if you tend to get over excited about little things like I tend to do.

Finally the best part of OOTP is that saves carry over from year to year which keeps the long term investment in your team/league going forward.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3
Icon8 Re: Considering OOTP for the first time... Questions

Last year's version of OOTP (OOTP 14) is only $19.99 right now. There is a pre sale of the new version (OOTP 15) for $34.99, but it lasts until February 14th. The new version is supposed to have 3D ballparks with minimal graphics. I guess we will have to wait until next year's version of OOTP for any hope of on the field graphics, which has been lacking in PC baseball simulations since High Heat Baseball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »