Home

Seriously, what was the last b-ball game that really took you?

This is a discussion on Seriously, what was the last b-ball game that really took you? within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Seriously, what was the last b-ball game that really took you?

Every year I look forward to the new basketball games. I'd played TV Sports Basketball for many years, then not anything until NBA Live 97 which I loved, Live 98, Live 99 which was the best B-ball game I'd played at that point. Then they dropped off a bit. Live was just being redone the same and getting stale. 2K showed up, but no player-lock, which was a deal breaker for me. Then the next gen of 2K started. Player lock was in, things were looking good. I tried 2K7 on my friends system and thought it was pretty good. I then bought 2K8 which was quite good and after the patch, it became the best b-ball game I'd played to date. 2K9 was a step backwards, but a step forwards for player-lock play, so it broke even. I don't even want to think about 2K10. My player had a ton of promise, but the lack of development time really hurt it, and the controls and player movement? Eck!!

Now, it's 2K11 time. As I was saying, I'm always excited and hoping that this year will be the year! This will be the best b-ball game to date. It's been 3 years since I was impressed by a basketball game. That shouldn't happen. Every year should be just a bit better than the last at least! I just hope I won't be let down. I expect 2K11 to be about as good as 2K9. Better features, but I'll bet the controls and player movement will really set me back. I'll be honest, I miss the "skating" days. At least I could control where my player stepped.

So, what b-ball games have really taken you in? Which ones were you most impressed with and how do you seriously expect 2K11 to stand up to them?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Seriously, what was the last b-ball game that really took you?

For me, I'd say NBA 2K7 really took me. I couldn't stop playing it. Whether it be the next-gen, the sig animations or that it was one of the first games I got on my brand new 360. It was just awesome. Before that maybe NBA Live 2005 and 2003.

Remembering the old NBA Live's (and coming from an old EA guy), it's a shame to see how far they fell...
Old 09-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Coach K College Basketball, NBA Live 96 or 98, NBA 2K8
Old 09-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 7

NBA Live 06 and 07. Best games ever
Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

The two games I'd put highest on my list for each company are College Hoops 2k8 (everything you could want in a game to play offline) and Live 10.

People really hate on Live 10 but it's an amazing game with few flaws. Unfortunately, people want to ruin the game by exploiting these flaws. In terms of accurately getting online 5v5 play, Live 10 is the best by far.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
The two games I'd put highest on my list for each company are College Hoops 2k8 (everything you could want in a game to play offline) and Live 10.

People really hate on Live 10 but it's an amazing game with few flaws. Unfortunately, people want to ruin the game by exploiting these flaws. In terms of accurately getting online 5v5 play, Live 10 is the best by far.

-Smak
Dude you exploit every single flaw that you see in 2k? If your opinion is based on ONLINE then you should actually wait until 2k11 comes out and see if it works for yourself.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

I've played a lot of 2K10 for a while, but there were 3 games that I really put a lot of time into:

1) NBA Live '99 - my favorite basketball game ever!

2) NBA live 2005 - awesome game!!!

3) NBA 2K7 for the PS2 - so great!

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 09-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
Rookie

SLOYAROLE's Arena

OVR: 2

I've never really been a B-Ball gamer. Back in college though, my buddy and me used to bash each other because I was on the NBA Shootout 98 bandwagon and he was NBA Live 98 nutsack. I don't think I've bought an NBA game since that one though. I briefly got into NBA 2k and 2K1 on the Dreamcast but never actually purchased them. I remember having tons of NBA Shootout 98 tournaments back then at the bachelor pad. Ahhhhh, those were the days. 2K11 will be my first B-Ball game purchase in 13 or 14 years. The Jordan-effect in action, LoL.

On a side note, I don't ever recall "His Airness" being in those games back in the day. Just a generic #23 or something. So, if I recall correctly, this will be my first experience controlling the "real" MJ in a B-Ball sim.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »