Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Identifying The Mike (/forums/showthread.php?t=611020)

avwhitechic 03-10-2013 07:33 PM

Identifying The Mike

Why do quarterbacks call out the mike linebacker?

Answer:
Identifying someone as the mike linebacker sets up the protection for the center and backs. Typically the offensive guards and tackles take the defensive tackles and ends (most offensive lines try to block big on big). The center and backs have to figure out who is left unaccounted for to block. So based on defensive formation and tendencies learned during film, the QB (or center) calls out the Mike, which gives the center his blocking assignment. Once the Mike is establsihed - it may not be the player who in reality is the middle linebacker, the backs will know who to block. Without doing this, the center and backs may be late in figuring out who their guy is...

This could be an awesome feature and teach you the game at the same time if implemented correctly. Something to the affect of having the user point at a player who they think is the Mike for better protection. But if you guess wrong "bad things man Bad things".....Tecmo bowl like guess right blitz lol

AlmostLikeFlacco 03-10-2013 08:00 PM

Re: Identifying The Mike

I would actually like to have a "calling the mike" feature in. As long as it's not detrimental to you if you don't do it or if it's an on/off option.

avwhitechic 03-10-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmostLikeFlacco (Post 2044797404)
I would actually like to have a "calling the mike" feature in. As long as it's not detrimental to you if you don't do it or if it's an on/off option.

True i want it tasteful but in the real NFL there is no turn off option...If you dont do this you'll get your quarterback killed in the passing game.

AlmostLikeFlacco 03-10-2013 08:11 PM

But then you have the casual "pick-up-n-play" Madden player getting destroyed all game and maybe not enjoying the game like they want to.

The "call the mike" mechanic would have to be simple to learn/master if it was going to be constantly there.

avwhitechic 03-10-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmostLikeFlacco (Post 2044797447)
But then you have the casual "pick-up-n-play" Madden player getting destroyed all game and maybe not enjoying the game like they want to.

The "call the mike" mechanic would have to be simple to learn/master if it was going to be constantly there.

This is true but 2k13 is not for casual gamers its a great game that rewards you with learning to play it correctly...i struggle with this game because of the controls but its more rewarding when i learn the "small" things that make it such a great game.

hanzsomehanz 03-10-2013 10:05 PM

Call out the Mike ability should correlate with the Pre Snap line adjustments control. Pointing the stick in a certain direction should command that focus on the Mike -- It's a great opportunity for them to develop this line protection control. Hopefully we will see this feature mature on the new consoles

JDoze 03-10-2013 10:27 PM

I'd rather see something more along the lines of calling out a blitzer. It could work just like spotlighting a receiver.

hanzsomehanz 03-10-2013 10:48 PM

What is the group think on enhancing ball carrier vision through a feature like the vision cone? or a slow-down / speed up effect for certain backs? Its an arcade like feature but I'm just thinking along the rails of making ball carrier vision come alive in a virtual perception context/concept