Home

Hall Of Fame: Yes Or No?

This is a discussion on Hall Of Fame: Yes Or No? within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #257
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Hall Of Fame: Yes Or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
With career numbers of .277/.403/.556 to go along with 600+ homers he is an absolute lock. Having a career OPS+ of 147 (better than A-Rod) certainly helps as well. I also believe that if the Indians didn't suck in 2002 that he should have been the AL MVP that year. It's still laughable that he finished in 7th. Disgusting.

The only way he doesn't get in is if he ends up failing a drug test at some point which is highly unlikely.
Other than the drug test thing I think another factor is the whole DH rigmarole. If the best DH of all time (Martinez) can't get in then it's going to be tough for Thome though he has played in the field off and on even in the later stages of his career.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 02-15-2012, 02:27 AM   #258
Banned

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Other than the drug test thing I think another factor is the whole DH rigmarole. If the best DH of all time (Martinez) can't get in then it's going to be tough for Thome though he has played in the field off and on even in the later stages of his career.
Thome played less than one third of his games at DH.

Martinez played around three quarters of his games at DH.

I will always think of Jim Thome as a first baseman even though he did play third for a few years.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #259
All Star

authentic's Arena

OVR: 37

Couple to think about...

1. Tommy John

2. Steve Garvey

3. Jeff Bagwell

4. Alan Trammell

5. Tim Raines

6. Pete Rose

7. Shoeless Joe Jackson

Now I know the last two are very controversial. But...is there ever a chance? In my mind, those are some of the best players that are out of baseball that aren't in the HOF. I don't think Shoeless Joe has a chance, but I do think if Pete Rose can somehow get back into baseball, somehow in any way and do something to gain any sort of respect, he'd have a chance. Let's face it, besides his obvious reasons, he'd be in the HOF and probably a first ballot.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:05 AM   #260
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32

Are you asking if you think it will happen, or if it should happen? I'll list what I think should happen.

1. no
2. hell no
3. hell yes
4. yes
5. yes
6/7. undecided, but would lean toward yes
Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #261
binging

SPTO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
Thome played less than one third of his games at DH.

Martinez played around three quarters of his games at DH.

I will always think of Jim Thome as a first baseman even though he did play third for a few years.
Thanks, I was under the impression he played more games at DH than he did. In that case I still think he's a HOFer but it's still going to be something like 3rd or 4th ballot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic
Couple to think about...

1. Tommy John

2. Steve Garvey

3. Jeff Bagwell

4. Alan Trammell

5. Tim Raines

6. Pete Rose

7. Shoeless Joe Jackson
I'll go with what I think SHOULD happen:

1. no
2. no
3. no
4. yes
5. yes
6. no while he's alive
7. yes

I said no to Rose because he's lied so much about it and then he finally confesses but then he does so in order to sell a stinkin' book! No Mr. Rose you're not really contrite about the issue. Having said that I think he should go in once he's dead and gone because he's done so much on the field that it wold be silly to not include it in the Hall.

As for Shoeless Joe Jackson, there's been some material in recent years that suggests he isn't as tainted as other members of the Black Sox so by that token he should get in. You also have to realize it was a far different era than it is now where baseball was basically their second job and they were ripe for the gangsters' pickings. So much time has passed now that I think his accomplishments should be remembered for all to see.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #262
TCM
MVP

TCM's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Thanks, I was under the impression he played more games at DH than he did. In that case I still think he's a HOFer but it's still going to be something like 3rd or 4th ballot.

I'll go with what I think SHOULD happen:

1. no
2. no
3. no
4. yes
5. yes
6. no while he's alive
7. yes

I said no to Rose because he's lied so much about it and then he finally confesses but then he does so in order to sell a stinkin' book! No Mr. Rose you're not really contrite about the issue. Having said that I think he should go in once he's dead and gone because he's done so much on the field that it wold be silly to not include it in the Hall.

As for Shoeless Joe Jackson, there's been some material in recent years that suggests he isn't as tainted as other members of the Black Sox so by that token he should get in. You also have to realize it was a far different era than it is now where baseball was basically their second job and they were ripe for the gangsters' pickings. So much time has passed now that I think his accomplishments should be remembered for all to see.
No on Bagwell?

Butte College
Old 02-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #263
binging

SPTO's Arena

Whoops that should be yes on Bagwell.

My bad

Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #264
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:

It's misleading to say that the Hall of Fame is "forgetting" people who were important to baseball history. The "museum" part of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum takes up about 90% of the floor space, and there were exhibits devoted to Shoeless Joe and Rose (and Bonds, McGwire, etc.) when I was in Cooperstown in 2008. Much more interesting than the HoF plaques themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »