Home

Hall Of Fame: Yes Or No?

This is a discussion on Hall Of Fame: Yes Or No? within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-30-2018, 03:07 PM   #1865
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Hall Of Fame: Yes Or No?

If they are going to do a "dark day" in order to give the HOF induction ceremony undivided attention, they should do it on the day after the All Star Game. The schedule is already crammed enough to add even one more full off day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #1866
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
If they are going to do a "dark day" in order to give the HOF induction ceremony undivided attention, they should do it on the day after the All Star Game. The schedule is already crammed enough to add even one more full off day.
The day after the All Star Game is the AAA All Star game. You gotta give the AAA players their moment in the sun.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #1867
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
Personally, I think the way the media has turned on players, painted them as villains, etc, has gone a long way to shaping our lens of this era. These players weren't any different than any player from other eras...
The moral panic over PEDs ("the steroid era") will be seen by future generations of baseball fans as bizarre imo.

As someone suggested earlier, it still hasn't been conclusively proven that PEDs were responsible for the home run explosion of the late 90s-early 2000s. In fact, the real culprit was a declining strikeout rate:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/home...1998-and-2012/

Maybe PEDs make you a better hitter, but I'm not sure they make you strike out less.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #1868
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

I don't know if the muscular cheaters of 15-20 years ago disgraced the game any more thoroughly than the guys of 100 years ago who threw the World Series, yet many guys in the former era are getting blacklisted while most of the deserving guys in the latter era were inducted even though the game had a far more dubious ethical cloud hanging over it.

Again, it's bizarre. Might have to do with the natural human tendency to think of chemicals as inherently evil or something, idk.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #1869
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Throwing a world series is several magnitudes worse than steroids to me. If the players aren't trying to win, there's absolutely no point in watching, it's the opposite with roids.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 08-01-2018, 09:04 PM   #1870
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Douglass
The moral panic over PEDs ("the steroid era") will be seen by future generations of baseball fans as bizarre imo.

As someone suggested earlier, it still hasn't been conclusively proven that PEDs were responsible for the home run explosion of the late 90s-early 2000s. In fact, the real culprit was a declining strikeout rate:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/home...1998-and-2012/

Maybe PEDs make you a better hitter, but I'm not sure they make you strike out less.
I always looked at peds as a scientific advancement. I mean I get it. These guys go through an 162 game grind and I'm sure peds helped tremendously. I think something that goes under the radar is the mental side of peds. When you go up to that plate bigger, stronger your confidence has to be soaring. Life is so mental and so is baseball. Sometimes all you need is just an extra bit of confidence and energy.

Alot of the older players that would see their numbers dip as the season went by could stay playing at their peaks because they had a renewed energy and focus.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #1871
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
I always looked at peds as a scientific advancement. I mean I get it. These guys go through an 162 game grind and I'm sure peds helped tremendously. I think something that goes under the radar is the mental side of peds. When you go up to that plate bigger, stronger your confidence has to be soaring. Life is so mental and so is baseball. Sometimes all you need is just an extra bit of confidence and energy.

Alot of the older players that would see their numbers dip as the season went by could stay playing at their peaks because they had a renewed energy and focus.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
That's my biggest issue with PED users. I mean Bonds' best stretch was 2001-2004 when he was 36-39. Clemens won the Cy Young at 34, 35, and 40 and had his lowest ERA of his career at 42. these guys were having second peaks when most guys their age are fighting to stay in the league

Thanks Peyton. #18
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2018, 02:34 AM   #1872
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

lemme just say I've got mad respect for someone like Bonds, willing to sacrifice his health knowing what that stuff can potentially do to you later down, the road, basically doing it so that not only are your children set for life but grandchildren as well. and not only sacrificing his health but throwing his reputation down the drain too. to me, doing that for his family thats a hella lot more noble than consuming Ruthian amounts of hotdogs and beer to the point of gluttony simply because you have no self-discipline.

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »