Home

Edwin Jackson; no-hitter vs. Rays

This is a discussion on Edwin Jackson; no-hitter vs. Rays within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 22
Edwin Jackson; no-hitter vs. Rays

He walked 8, and threw 150 pitches but was still able to shut the door and no hit every ones personal no hit punch line, Rays.

All I can say is I can't wait for Felix to get a shot at them. They should just make a new rule, that outlaws no-hitters, except if they're thrown against the Rays. Maybe that explains why Andres Gallaraga had his perfecto stolen against the Indians.

Last edited by GreenReign86; 06-25-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Edwin Jackson; no-hitter vs. Rays

Congrats on the no-hitter (which I watched the last four innings of), but eight walks?

This brings me back to my statement that, while a no-hitter is incredible, it should not rank up anywhere near the perfect game achievement, let alone be mentioned under the same breath.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 06-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 42

Congratulations to Edwin Jackson!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Congrats on the no-hitter (which I watched the last four innings of), but eight walks?

This brings me back to my statement that, while a no-hitter is incredible, it should not rank up anywhere near the perfect game achievement, let alone be mentioned under the same breath.
Eight walks or eighty-eight walks. History is history! Not a classy no-hitter but he still threw one!

Last edited by Reaman; 06-25-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenReign86
He walked 8, and threw 150 pitches but was still able to shut the door and no hit every ones personal no hit punch line, Rays.

All I can say is I can't wait for Felix to get a shot at them. They should just make a new rule, that outlaws no-hitters, except if they're thrown against the Rays. Maybe that explains why Andres Gallaraga had his perfecto stolen against the Indians.
I think you mean Armando Galarraga. But yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the Rays getting no hit so many times. And it's not like they're a bad team either. Anyways, congrats to Jackson on the no-no. I went to espn.com and saw it was in progress and turned to the MLB network just in time to see the last out.

Steelers: IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII
Penguins:1990/91, 1991/92, 2008/09, 20015/16, 2016/17
Pirates:1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
Panthers (FB): 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976
Panthers (MBB): 1927/28, 1929/30
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaman
Eight walks or eighty-eight walks. History is history!
I'm not trying to take away his history, I'm trying to put the perfect game up on a higher pedestal. Those pitchers get blended in too much with those that just throw the no-hitter (again, no small achievement).

Here was my post regarding this:

http://operationsports.com/forums/pr...post2041174156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I almost feel like the no-hitter is losing its touch for me. I don't know what's up with the amount of them this year, though I somewhat understand because hitters these days just suck.

But yeah, back to the no-hitter... it's not so much that they are becoming relatively "commonplace", but I just don't find it to be as grand as a perfect game. With a no-hitter intact, you have the luxury of throwing around the zone and throwing junk and taking the risk of walking batters to trade outs in exchange. With a perfect game though, everything just needs to fall into place perfectly, and you can't risk running up counts with two or three balls too often and still think hitters won't eventually get to you. Plus, the defense has to be perfect here too.

I'm not saying a no-hitter isn't special, but sometimes you hear the media categorize or celebrate them almost exactly the same as perfect games, and IMO the difference is monumental (even if it's just one walk or error charged in the whole game). There's also the fact that you could walk six people like Jimenez and still get a no-hitter.

Oh well, let's go Lilly!

EDIT: Perfect example right there. They just said how there have been three no-hitters this year, and they just showed all three of them, seamlessly tying in Braden's and Halladay's with Jimenez's. I understand that a perfect game is a no-hitter as well, but it's so much more than that and it deserves much more appreciation.

SECOND EDIT: Well, now they have a game to win. Great effort either way.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 06-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
Best in the World

BDKiiing's Arena

OVR: 23

149 pitches, not to sound like a jerk...but i must say, my arm hurts after watching that game

Old 06-26-2010, 01:23 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

2 perfect games and a no-hitter against the Rays in the past 11 months.

Ouch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »