View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
TMagic
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: What is the most important position on the floor?

For me, it's easily the Point Guard. As far as today's game is concerned.

I've said this plenty before, without solid point guard play, the team will suffer.

Just think about all the teams that advanced in the first round last year (Note: Lakers excluded because they have three ball handlers, the PG isn't the only one controlling the ball):

- The Hornets Chris Paul outplayed Dallas' PGs
- Deron Williams outplayed Houston's PGs
- Tony Parker outplayed Steve Nash
- Rajon Rondo outplayed Bibby
- Billups started playing well to beat the Sixers. Outplayed Miller to take series.
- You will see in the Orlando/Toronto series that Howard dominated. But, also take note that in the games they won, Jameer Nelson had very solid games in their wins. The only game Toronto won, was the only game TJ Ford and Jose Calderon had good games.
- The Wizards point guards brought nothing to the table.

Point guard play was the common factor in all of the teams moving on.

If Center was the most important position today, then the Rockets would easily have gotten past the first round in their last four tries. They are a prime example. Yao clearly outclasses any opponents center in all of his series. But, he still could not get out of the first round.

They also won all of those games in a row last season, WITHOUT YAO. Their best player, who also happens to be a center. How? Because Rafer played well in his absence. Last playoffs, in the games they won, Rafer Alston played well. The Rockets lost both games he didn't play, and lost the games where he was a non factor.

Rajon Rondo had a great series against the Lakers in the finals.

So for me it's easily the point guard. Without solid point guard play, your team will suffer. Good point guard play, makes everything easier for your team.

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA