Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #43
Sportsforever
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: 1/7-1/13 Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
I'm not sure if it's just the sheer number of games available, more camera angles, more athletic/faster play or what - but it just seems like the overall quality of the refereeing has been in decline for quite some time now. The tournament last year was a comedy of errors and it doesn't seem to be improving. Maybe it's always been like this, we just didn't see it?
This is definitely true in all sports. The quality of refereeing/umpiring has ALWAYS been what it is now IMO, but until recently the ref/ump truly did have the best view and that is now no longer the case. Think about the 1955 WS and the very famous play in which Jackie Robinson steals home and Yogi Berra goes nuts believing (to this day) that he was out. No one can no because the camera quality/angle is too poor...today we would know within 15 seconds if he was safe/out and if the ump got it wrong we'd here so much whining.