View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #3
strawberryshortcake
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Bunting against the Shift... Why don't more teams do it?

Valid points. In a sense do you want to take the potential of a homerun or multiple bases by a power hitter (Big Papi, etc.)?

However, ... strategically if extreme shifts are employed, you might consider it the perfect opportunity to play "small ball." Lefty successfully able to lay down a bunt, reach 1st with no outs in the inning. Second batter moves the runner over with a sacrifice bunt, one out with a runner in scoring position at 2nd.

Runner on 2nd with 1 out and you likely avoid any potential for a double play. You've got two chances to bring the runner home.

If you are in fact able to successfully reach 1st on a bunt against the extreme shift, you now change the focus of the defense the next go around. If more teams drop a bunt during shifts, I have a feeling opposing teams will stop shifting. Plus, successful bunts against the shift will likely move the defense back to normal. This benefits left hand hitters. Infield holes are now back to normal. Lefties are now back in their comfort zone so to speak.

In other words, I think the pros outweigh the cons if a lefty bunts during extreme shifts.

... not really, but sort of running the option in football. The more you do it, the league is bound to adjust and they have. I'm hoping bunting during these extreme shifts would put an end to them.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing