View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #20
fistofrage
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: Work around for real field goal %...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Well when you frame the statistic that way it sounds awful, but let's put that stat into its proper context:

NFL kickers made 1146 of their 1217 PAT attempts this season (94.1%). Basically a 32-yard field goal, kickers are still effectively automatic on PAT attempts. The odds of a kicker missing an extra point are basically the same as flipping a coin exactly four times and getting heads every single time; that is, not very high.

Again - if the argument that kicking from distance should be harder in Madden, I'm listening, because there's plenty of evidence to support that that should be the case, as I pointed out in my previous post. However, there's no compelling real-life statistical evidence that shorter field goals should be significantly more challenging in the game than they currently are (which admittedly is not very challenging). Short of adding game mechanics for snapping and holding, from 45 yards and in we basically already have "real field goal percentage".

If "sim" is the ultimate goal of Madden's game design, Tiburon shouldn't be making parts of the game more difficult just for the sake of difficulty.
XP % in Madden is 100%. Anything inside 50 yards is 100%. We don't have real field goal %. There is no drama, plenty of games in real life have been decided or altered by missed extra points or misses from within 50 yards. I can't believe this is even a point of contention with some people.