View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
The Chef

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: CPU getting hits down 0-2/1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovejoyOTF
nibble less on the corners and give them something more out of the zone, maybe a breaking pitch. make them chase.

the more you try to nibble on the corners, the more chance you give them to get something to hit.
This 100%. I will still give up a hit and a very rare HR when ahead in the count 0-2/1-2 but for the most part I get a lot of weak contact or I strike the batter out. Last game, facing NYY, I struck out 9 over 5 IP with Mike Fiers who doesn't have electric stuff but jamming that cutter inside and dropping that change low and out of the zone worked wonders.

Slightly off topic but another thing I tend to do for every series is write down 2 ratings for every batter on the opposing team. I write down vision and discipline that way I know who is more prone to chase and who I can challenge, sometimes it doesn't work but most times it works out in my favor and allows me to pitch a little more intelligently. I also avoid starting any batter with the same pitch in back to back AB's (ie. fastball first AB and fastball second AB) and if I bring in a RP I will avoid location of first pitch thrown in that batters last AB ignoring type of pitch.