Home

CPU getting hits down 0-2/1-2

This is a discussion on CPU getting hits down 0-2/1-2 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-15-2017, 02:01 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 6
CPU getting hits down 0-2/1-2

Does anyone else have this problem vs the cpu? I always go up 0-2 or 1-2 but the cpu tends to get a hit maybe 50-70 percent of the time. I would think maybe 25 percent would be more realistic. I tend to nibble on the corners too when up 0-2/1-2 in the count but the cpu just seems to get a hit. Any advice when up in counts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
Rookie

LovejoyOTF's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: CPU getting hits down 0-2/1-2

nibble less on the corners and give them something more out of the zone, maybe a breaking pitch. make them chase.

the more you try to nibble on the corners, the more chance you give them to get something to hit.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #3

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovejoyOTF
nibble less on the corners and give them something more out of the zone, maybe a breaking pitch. make them chase.

the more you try to nibble on the corners, the more chance you give them to get something to hit.
This 100%. I will still give up a hit and a very rare HR when ahead in the count 0-2/1-2 but for the most part I get a lot of weak contact or I strike the batter out. Last game, facing NYY, I struck out 9 over 5 IP with Mike Fiers who doesn't have electric stuff but jamming that cutter inside and dropping that change low and out of the zone worked wonders.

Slightly off topic but another thing I tend to do for every series is write down 2 ratings for every batter on the opposing team. I write down vision and discipline that way I know who is more prone to chase and who I can challenge, sometimes it doesn't work but most times it works out in my favor and allows me to pitch a little more intelligently. I also avoid starting any batter with the same pitch in back to back AB's (ie. fastball first AB and fastball second AB) and if I bring in a RP I will avoid location of first pitch thrown in that batters last AB ignoring type of pitch.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah what the above two said. You should pitch out of the zone on a 0-2 count 95% of the time.

You also need to constantly asses the at bat. Has the batter gotten good swings off despite the fact that you've been changing speeds? Focus on getting him to swing on pitches out of the zone. Have you been feeding him nothing but off-speed? Might be time for a fastball inside. Even if he knows it's coming those are hard to adjust to.

And my most important tip: Don't be afraid to walk a guy. Giving up a walk is way better than giving up a hit. I rarely have a pitch finish in the zone on a 3-2 count, yet more often then not it's a strikeout or a weak grounder as opposed to a walk.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Good advice in here.

My addition would be don't fall into patterns. If you continually pitch a hitter the same way, he's going to pick up the pattern increasing his chances of making solid contact

The pitcher/batter analysis tool is a great thing to reference the 2nd or 3rd time through the order to prevent pattern pitching

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #6

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Good advice in here.

My addition would be don't fall into patterns. If you continually pitch a hitter the same way, he's going to pick up the pattern increasing his chances of making solid contact

The pitcher/batter analysis tool is a great thing to reference the 2nd or 3rd time through the order to prevent pattern pitching

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Agreed completely, that's what I mentioned as well and it makes a world of difference. You'd be shocked how often I get away with a hanging curve to start an AB when I started the previous AB with that specific hitter with a fastball. Changing locations and pitch types to start an AB is a quick way to get ahead in the count, then you can try and hit corners a bit, mix up speeds, play off a batters discipline rating and get them to chase.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Good advice in here.

It's true falling into patterns is bad, but I'd also balance that with trusting your gut.

I once pitched a complete game shutout with Henderson Alvarez back in 12 using nothing but his 4SFB all game except 1 pitch. It was a changeup, and it was the only hit I gave up.

Also got all 4 RBI with him. It was an inter-league game. Hell of a night.

Sorry, saw your comment and just had to tell the story. Never before or since has a game ever been like that for me.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I might nibble the corner against a good hitter if the count is 0-2 only if there are 2 away and no ducks on the pond.
usually if I'm up 0-2 I like to proceed with a high fastball well above the k-zone, then on a 1-2 come back with low and well away from the zone. how far away depends on if runners are on base and which base.
I might nibble the corner on a 0-2 against weaker hitters and opposing pitchers but against a lineups better hitters, should be few and far between. still, above all else, you must not allow youself to become predictable. unless I'm concerned about the number of pitches my pitcher has thrown, I'm not afraid of even walking a good hitter after getting ahead 0-2.
an ''unintional'' IBB in the right spot against a great hitter sure beats a double or homer. but at some point you also still have to trust the 7 guys behind you to make plays.

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »