Home

MLB 2K9 First Hands-On (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K9 First Hands-On (Gamespot) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #17
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: gamespot mlb 2k9 hands on

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
to me they look the same as well from those screen shots. kind of disappointing after reading other previews saying that there will be vendors walking up and down the isles to make the crowd look more realistic. i was really hoping to see something very similar to nba 2k9.
Guys, I honestly wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the pictures. They said it "still looked and felt early" and that it was just a preview build. I wouldn't worry about the stuff like the corwd and details like that just yet.

It would be nice if some developers could find some time to interact and address these kind of concerns. I guess I'm getting spoiled over in the other game's forum...lol.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about visuals just yet
Old 01-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 60
Re: MLB 2K9 First Hands-On (Gamespot)

Quote:
What the development team has done, instead, is pay attention to the complaints about MLB 2K8 and directly address them.
Well, this is definitely good news. If they had to take a step back with some features to correct some flaws, that's okay with me, as long as the gameplay has been improved. The graphics will do just fine, the animations are yet to be seen, but it was noted they need more work. Time is getting short on that one though.

Ability to control all 30 teams is a plus. I think the preview was okay really. More to come will tell the tale, but encouraging so far.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #19
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Well, this is definitely good news. If they had to take a step back with some features to correct some flaws, that's okay with me, as long as the gameplay has been improved. The graphics will do just fine, the animations are yet to be seen, but it was noted they need more work. Time is getting short on that one though.

Ability to control all 30 teams is a plus. I think the preview was okay really. More to come will tell the tale, but encouraging so far.
My feelings exactly.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #20
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: gamespot mlb 2k9 hands on

Why did they say there was zone hitting before?

I don't want to influence my damn swing!
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #21
Banned

slickzeus's Arena

OVR: 7

well it was good to hear that visually the game will be superior to 2k8...as long as the 60 fps works out. I am a little wary about the "zone" hitting...doesnt really sound too much like a zone hitting system. But like someone else said, ill wait until someone that we can trust will give us a detailed analysis of the hitting and pitching for that matter. Screens looked good though!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #22
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Well, it's good to atleast finally get a little info on the game, no matter how vague.

I too, wish that a VC rep would be more involved with the community here similar to how the MLB: The Show team and EA's various teams have been. It'd be a very nice step in getting some more direct input.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 01-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 8

"Move it up for a fly ball, down for a grounder, left to send the ball toward the third baseman, and so on. Naturally, the timing of your swing and when you make contact with the ball will still come into play here; the left stick will be just for influencing the path of the ball."

to me the explanation of the hitting seemed just that of mvp 05. you used the left stick to aim where you want the ball to go. in mvp 05 if you want to hit the ball down the line you aim all the way to the left or right just like they explained in the preview. if you want a ground ball you obv aim the left stick low.

also keep in mind that the swing effects the direction as well... if you are aiming the left stick up but you make contact too late, the ball will most likely be a pop up, but if you make a direct contact IM ASSUMING it will go straight to center field.

That's how i took the explanation anyways

Last edited by johnnyg713; 01-26-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
to me the explanation of the hitting seemed just that of mvp 05. you used the left stick to aim where you want the ball to go. in mvp 05 if you want to hit the ball down the line you aim all the way to the left or right just like they explained in the preview. if you want a ground ball you obv aim the left stick low.
EXACTLY what I was thinking. I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about the "zone" hitting, this explanation sounded EXACTLY like MVP '05, where you could influence where the hit went, but ultimately, you still had to "go with the pitch" in order to hit the ball solidly. In other words, if the pitch is thrown outside and you swing inside (or vice versa), you're going to hit a little dinker, whereas if you go with the pitch, you're going to make solid contact. If anything, this is more realistic than strictly zone hitting. So not sure what everyone is wary about.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »