Home

Major League Baseball 2K9 Video: Cardinals @ Cubs Top 1st

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K9 Video: Cardinals @ Cubs Top 1st within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2009, 03:09 AM   #57
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Video: Cardinals @ Cubs Top 1st

I hate the bat sounds as well, hardly a game killer though.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:25 AM   #58
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26

I also noticed the fields are bigger in 2k9. 2k6-2k8 the outfield looked small. The grass looks like grass unlike 2k8 green paint on the ground. I want to see some night games as well. Hopefully some yankee videos
Old 02-13-2009, 03:25 AM   #59
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

I'm very impressed by the real-time virtual director stuff - if Steve had been batting from the pitcher cam it would have been tough to distinguish from a real broadcast with the cuts and everything. This looks like something I could just sit and watch and it would seem like I was watching it on TV.

Really impressed by the commentary too. But like Blzer, I wonder how long it can go before repeating. Still WAY better than the last few years - Thorne does a great job.

Nice slide on that steal attempt Steve. (sorry, had to say it)
Old 02-13-2009, 03:28 AM   #60
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
I also noticed the fields are bigger in 2k9. 2k6-2k8 the outfield looked small. The grass looks like grass unlike 2k8 green paint on the ground. I want to see some night games as well. Hopefully some yankee videos
Stadiums are bigger; fields are the same.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-13-2009, 03:44 AM   #61
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30

I allowed the video to download completely, and there are certainly some hiccups in there. Whether they are a factor of encoding, we'll need Steve to say.

If you look at the throw back into second on the double, there's a definite drop in frames as the ball comes in. Also on the single (Schumaker's?) into center, as the ball is traveling into center and the camera pans and follows it, there is again a drop in frames. If you click back and rewatch these a couple times, they are noticeable. I'm hoping this is due to a beta build of the game and this is the optimization that 2K was talking about and it will be gone with the release.

Also, there is some wierdness during batting...I noticed it most during the Pujols at bat....with the ball having a strange motion to it after it's pitched. Looks like the ball's transition from the pitcher's hand to it's flight has some problems and needs smoothed out.

Again, let's hope these can be fixed in the final release.

And...if the sound of the bat is your biggest complaint with this game, then you should be pretty happy with it I think......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2009, 04:17 AM   #62
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

I think the good far outweighs the bad here:

- The overall graphics look much better than 2K8

- The grass, crowd, etc. is definitely improved over last year. Wrigley looked terrible in 2K8.

- The new camera angles between plays are nice, providing more of a broadcast feel for sure

- Real Time stuff is noticeable and nice.

- Commentary is great

- Strike zone seems much more accurate this year

- Hit variety seems good

I did notice a some framerate glitches, but keep in mind this is a BETA build and surely 2K has been busy optimizing the game since the time of this build. Also the video encoding could have something to do with it as well.

Last edited by jeffy777; 02-13-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:43 AM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 5
Ohh God another year another disapointment.. 2k is only good at basketball (WHICH I LOVE NBA2K9) Dosnt matter what they do... MLB the Show 09 Team is just on point.. THEY HAVE BASEBALL ON LOCK DOWN there will never come a day when 2K baseball will be rated better than THE SHOW...SH!T Let alone play better than the show...... Impossible.... if so.... it would be a lie cause That Team @ Sony are years ahead in the GAMPLAY department.. this game still plays like PS2 and Xbox.. dosnt seem next gen at all.... the only thing 2K can compete with is some feature and Presentation that's it ... THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LMAO<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 02-13-2009, 04:48 AM   #64
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

After watching it a 2nd time, I noticed that it didn't glitch in spots where it did the first time. Flash players are known for hiccuping, especially if you have other stuff running in the background on your PC.

So that makes me feel better about the actual game (plus it's an early build), so we'll see what March brings. I'm optimistic for sure

Last edited by jeffy777; 02-13-2009 at 05:19 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »